Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AK Muzzle Brake Recommendations?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

AK Muzzle Brake Recommendations?

I'm a complete AK novice, so I apologize for asking a pretty basic and open-ended question, but I'm curious to hear people's opinions on this. I picked up an Arsenal SAM7 from a friend about 10 years ago that came with the pinned muzzle brake shown on this NJ-complaint SAM7R:

http://www.arsenalinc.com/usa/SAM7R-...SAM7R-61N.html

I'm guessing that mine was made to be compliant with the assault weapons ban that ended in 2004. A search of the archives and the web didn't turn out many references or photos to this style of muzzle brake, so I took that to me that it's probably an antiquated brake that may not be the most effective (or popular).

While I'm primarily an AR user, I'd like to upgrade a few things on this AK for use as an alternate home defense rifle. Is it worth the trouble to replace this brake, or would I be looking at minimal improvement on an HD weapon? The rifle functions very smoothly, but the milled receiver is pretty hefty, so I'm not sure I will ever use it as primary rifle (in training or otherwise), but I still like the idea of maintaining a quality AK in the collection.

Thanks for any insight you all can offer.

Dave

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    I did have an SA-M7r with the muzzle nut; not a break nor flash hider, just a thread protector. That's the only configuration I fired it in, and yes the weight of the milled receiver does absorb the recoil noticeably more than the stamped AK's I have today.

If I were to change out the muzzle device, I would definately go with a flash hider over a muzzle brake. Personally I'm not a fan of muzzle breaks, and especially since you mentioned this can be used as an HD weapon. There is a lot of flash out of that muzzle when it is bare; so putting a brake on it will only amplify that flash.

I don't know what your budget is, but I know Surefire has some 3 or 4 prong flash hiders that can fit the muzzle if you thread it appropriately. Sorry I don't remember off the top of my head what the common thread pattern is for AKM barrels, but that's the one I would go with for most options.

For less money than the Surefire I think I remember Echo93 had similar pronged flash hiders that can also fit.

Smith Enterprises also has a Vortex flash hider for AKM patterned barrels.

I don't have any firsthand experience with any of the above FH's, but I am planning to go with the Surefire when I get around to it.
    Last edited by w3453l; 07-30-15 at 19:54.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Flash Hiders-

Echo93 is top notch. Manticore makes their Eclipse too. You want 14mm x 1mm LH.

Brakes/Comps-

I've used the Primary Weapon Systems FSC47 before and liked it. I'm currently running a Griffin Armament AK Flash Comp.
    Last edited by Hizzie; 07-31-15 at 16:54.
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    I've shot my AK with and without this brake which is similar to yours: https://www.k-var.com/shop/AK-351.html

There was a noticeable difference in recoil, blast, and noise. Now, if the recoil reduction is worth the downside is another question.

H

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I am a fan of the PWS FSC-47. Good muzzle stability, good enough flash suppression, and it's light.

Feedback Score
    I have the Tapco RPK style muzzle device on my WASR-3. They market it as a muzzle brake, but it's actually a flash hider, and is extremely effective. Cheap, light, and aesthetically pleasing (to me, anyway). I tried it out on my 7.5" barreled mini-Draco once too. Still had some flash, but it was substantially reduced.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Zenitco DTK-2
    Helps a lot with recoil/muzzle rise

9k=-1.jpeg
    Last edited by NCGREENSWAMP13; 08-02-15 at 05:31.

Feedback Score
    45 (100%)
    I want a flash hider and went with a Manticore NightShroud, it is very effective and shortened my rifle about an inch over the stock AK-74 style muzzle break.
    http://www.manticorearms.com/NightSh...4mm-MA-610.htm
    They also make a brake, I have no experience with it.
    http://www.manticorearms.com/NightBr...mm-MA-1100.htm

Feedback Score
    A brake on a 'home defense' rifle will make your sinuses bleed. Just put a muzzle nut or a slant 'brake'.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by eodinert View Post
    A brake on a 'home defense' rifle will make your sinuses bleed. Just put a muzzle nut or a slant 'brake'.
    Instead of a FH?
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast