Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bushmaster ACR: Not Quite Dead Yet?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score

Bushmaster ACR: Not Quite Dead Yet?

So The Firearm Blog recently reported a bit of interesting news out of the Bushmaster booth at SHOT show this year. Apparently Bushmaster was showing off a few "new" variations of the ACR at their booth this year. They had a DMR model that consisted of a longer barrel and a PRS stock (I'm fairly certain this model is a few years old, but apparently it's now "new" again) and a new PDW version which basically consisted of a 10.5" barrel plugged into a standard "Enhanced" ACR.

The bigger news is that they are supposed to now be offering factory 5.56mm barrels in 10.5", 14.5", 16", and 18.5" lengths. And while there is nothing definite, the rep hinted that more ACR related will products are slated to be released later in the year. Me thinks .300 Blk barrels are a likely candidate if this whole announcement is more than just the same old vaporware they've been hocking for the past 8 years.

Personally I think the platform still has some potential in it, but it's going to take quite a bit more from Bushmaster than a few different length factory 5.56 barrels to make this gun a winner. Still, I was sort of expecting the ACR to be axed from their lineup for this year, so I guess it's not all that bad.

Feedback Score
    As an ACR owner and fan, I was happy to see this. I think the fact that the guns can now be found new for ~$1,500 there is starting to be a renewed interest in them.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    I had one of the first gens before I sold it a couple years ago. Other than being a little heavy, it was a decent performer. I liked the forward charging handle and ambi- mag/bolt controls. That was before everybody's lowers started to sport the same features. But the real reason I bought into it was the caliber changing capability, and when that didn't materialize it went up for sale. I'd maybe think about another one down the road, but I'll never bite on a platform like that again without seeing all the accessories out on the market already. No more of this 'coming Q3 next year' stuff. I will add that I thought the V2 they were developing for military use looked pretty slick. It was definitely a platform with potential.

Feedback Score
    Ummm... Make the Remington version

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using Tapatalk
    #ifyourhandtouchesmetal,I swearbymyprettyfloralbonnet,I willendyou

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Bushmaster is only a name. It's basically a Remington made rifle now. The Bushmaster parent company owns Remington as well. When they bought Bushmaster, they wanted the ACR and AR15 production capabilities for Remington. They gutted Bushmaster (which later became Windham Weaponary) took what they wanted and left the rest. When you buy Bushmaster parts you call a Remington facility. The parts come in a Bushmaster marked box with a Remington invoice. All the rifles are marked Bushmaster but the roll marked address on the later rifles is from a Remington Manufacturing Plant. They may as well just mark them Remington. I was a big fan and had several ACR rifles. I had conversions in 5.56x45 with a 1/7 FN barrel (1/7 twist was not available from the factory), 5,45x39, 6.8 ARP, 7,62x39 and was the first person to buy ACR gas system parts directly from Remington several years ago. That's a story in itself. Many people didn't realize that the ACR used production AR15 barrels. You just needed gas system and ACR barrel parts to make conversions. Technically, I did not have a 6.8 conversion but I did have the barrel and the conversion parts. I sold them before completing the conversion.

Honestly, these are great rifles and I loved the platform. My rifles were good shooters but lacked the accuracy that I wanted out of them, even in 5.56. I put a lot of money into the ACRs but switched to a different rifle platform because of the lack of factory support for it. Most of the support for the rifle came from members of the ACR Forum. If you are interested in the rifle, I suggest going there to get more information. The members there are great and very helpful.

The Masada concept from Magpul was sound and deserves a second chance. Magpul made all the plastics for the ACR and licensed all the conversion parts to Bushmaster. Which is probably why they kept the Bushmaster name. I'd like to see Remington finally do something with the ACR!

SamM
    Last edited by SamM; 01-21-17 at 06:02.
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Feedback Score
    I was excited about the ACR until it came out. Bushmaster has just done a terrible job handling the platform. Knowing what I know about Bushmaster all these years later, I still can't get excited now that they might fulfill the Adaptive portion of the promise. It just seems too little, too late. I just don't trust Remington Outdoor Group to get a product right anymore.
    Industry Disclosure: I work at a local gun shop.

Feedback Score
    32 (100%)
    I remember being told by Remington reps years ago that, "6.8mm conversion kits will be out by the end of the year," and, "6.8mm conversion kits will be out in three months."

Didn't happen. So I'd take anything Remington or Bushmaster says they're going to do with the ACR with a grain of salt; I'll believe it when I see it.
    " Nil desperandum - Never Despair. That is a motto for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it. "
    - Samuel Adams -

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    I'll believe it when I see it.
    That's the most mentioned phrase, either spoken and posted, when conversing about the ACR.

SamM
    NRA Benefactor Life Member

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I visited the Bushmaster website thinking surely they had increased support and part availability. I saw the "under construction" notice and the catalog download. I hoped there would be good news soon. That was almost a year ago and not much has changed.

Feedback Score
    The ACR is a sad story. It seems like it was a very sound design, and with better quality control and some tweaking, it would be an excellent rifle. I wish a good company like BCM could get a hold of the design and run with it.
    Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who do not.-Ben Franklin

there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo. And it’s worth fighting for.-Samwise Gamgee

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast