Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Function testing magazines

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonB1 View Post
    The MA ban goes back to September 1994 so for those so afflicted, this might be of help:

http://www.rawles.to/AR-15_M16_Magazine_FAQ.html

And yes I know that some of the mags mentioned have proven to be not so great compared to modern choices which are not options for MA residents.
    Jason, Thanks for the info. That is much too long to be oppressed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So can MA residents buy pre-94 mags at this point or is ownership fixed without the ability to add anything but 10-round mags?
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    They can buy pre 94 mags of any size, or post 94 10 rounds... i think.

I often scope out the old mags at gun shows for this reason. Then send them north or west (CA)

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    After buying your mags, use them for two weeks, then dis-assemble them and stretch out the springs. Youll be GTG then.
    The obedient always think of themselves as virtuous rather than the cowards they really are.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Straight Shooter View Post
    After buying your mags, use them for two weeks, then dis-assemble them and stretch out the springs. Youll be GTG then.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    It was probably already mentioned, but I just throw a couple of fresh new mags each time I go shooting. I think 90% of my magazines still haven't seen any use. It would be a butt ton of ammo to line them all up at once and test them. So far I haven't had any trouble mags, but as soon as it happens I'll mark it and replace it.

I make sure to take few dedicated tested range mags each time on the off chance that all 5 brand new mags end up being duds.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Caduceus View Post
    They can buy pre 94 mags of any size, or post 94 10 rounds... i think.
    That is correct.

I haven't read this entire thread, but my technique works for me. Number all mags, load them to 28 (I use USGI), and use a few (say, 4-6 at a time). If any FTF or other problem, make a note (referencing mag number and problem).

Move on to the next batch, and so on. Then, start the cycle over.

Be ruthless with mags that have a pattern of problems (non-drop free, hard to fit into magwell, failure to lock back, double feed, etc.) They do not belong in your essential kit. Toss them, or label them "Practice only."

After going through a couple of cycles of my mags in training and practice, I rarely have any mag-related problems, maybe one or two per year.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    I also live in a ban state, but live close enough to PA and have many many friends and family just a short drive away where I keep my stuff NY thinks is "evil".

When I am there shooting I buy mags every time, usually pmags or used usgi, they all get tested with 2-3 full loads, used USGI all get new magpul followers, new springs, and often magpul ranger or L plates. Any that don't pass full load tests, get tested with 10 rounds and if they pass that test, I rivet them to hold only 10, bring them home and use them here in NY or sell/trade them for other stuff. I have not had any trouble with pmags except a few gen2's that don't drop free in Anderson lowers that do drop USGI, or gen 3 pmags free. Those lowers usually get turned into fixed mag NY compliant lowers where dropping mags free is not needed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123