Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Function testing magazines

Feedback Score

Function testing magazines

There's a lot of talk about function testing guns on the web but not much about magazines. For pistols ammo is cheaper and I generally don't have a ton of mags so I just run a few mags through them and then load 2 bullets at a time and fire those a few times to ensure lock back and to ensure that it feeds the last rounds reliably. Ar's though... I have a lot of magazines and that can get expensive fast when they hold 30 rounds a piece.
    Anyone have a good ammo conscious procedure for testing AR mags?

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    Buy magazines of known quality.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Loosely related however if you haven't seen this lengthy "unscientific" test thread, you might enjoy it. The OP has great patience. http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_17/58...k-.html&page=1

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Load it and shoot it once. I've never really had mag issues when buying good USGI or Magpul. I still like to shoot a mag once or twice before running it in a gun or pouch.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I lived in a ban state and had to use pre-bans. I would inspect them, check to make sure they insert and eject properly. I would replace the followers and base plates with Magpul parts.

Before they got the OK stamp I would run them a while at the range to make sure they fed ok, locked back on the last round, etc.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    As stated above, buy from a known good company like Okay Industries or Brownells for GI - Magpul for polymer and you should be good to go. These brands are used by the US Military and should be reliable. If that's not good enough, load up a mag with some 5.56 NATO (or .223 Rem if so chambered) and shoot it. Loading up a 30 round mag should cost you around $10. Yeah, it costs a little more than 9mm but not so much more that it's out of reach.
    “I predict future happiness for Americans, if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.”
    Thomas Jefferson

Feedback Score
    104 (100%)
    Any mags that I buy and intend to use for defensive purposes are checked.

1. I do a repeated test of the empty magazine to ensure that it seats, engages the stop or catch, locks to the rear and then falls free.

2. I use dummy rounds and check that rounds load, extract and eject.

3. Once done I will usually put about 10 rounds through a mag. If it passes all that then there is a good chance that it will be just fine.

Owner/Instructor at Semper Paratus Arms

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SemperParatusArms/

Semper Paratus Arms AR15 Armorer Course http://www.semperparatusarms.com/cou...-registration/

M4C Misc. Training and Course Announcements- http://www.m4carbine.net/forumdisplay.php?f=141

Master Armorer/R&D at SIONICS Weapon Systems- http://sionicsweaponsystems.com

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Iraqgunz View Post
    Any mags that I buy and intend to use for defensive purposes are checked.

1. I do a repeated test of the empty magazine to ensure that it seats, engages the stop or catch, locks to the rear and then falls free.

2. I use dummy rounds and check that rounds load, extract and eject.

3. Once done I will usually put about 10 rounds through a mag. If it passes all that then there is a good chance that it will be just fine.
    1+ to this.

I skip the dummy rounds as I don't have any. After visual they go into my range bag. Next session they get worked out. All but the drop on the deck and other drills that could damage them. If they make it through the session without issue they get loaded with defense no and stored as needed.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnut12 View Post
    There's a lot of talk about function testing guns on the web but not much about magazines. For pistols ammo is cheaper and I generally don't have a ton of mags so I just run a few mags through them and then load 2 bullets at a time and fire those a few times to ensure lock back and to ensure that it feeds the last rounds reliably. Ar's though... I have a lot of magazines and that can get expensive fast when they hold 30 rounds a piece.
    Anyone have a good ammo conscious procedure for testing AR mags?
    You may also want to check to see if the mag will seat on a closed bolt with 30 rounds in it. If it does not seat easily, you may want to download by a round or two.

I also run at least 1 full mags worth of ammo through it. Obviously, there is more spring pressure when you have more rounds in it. I experienced malfunctions with steel (polymer) case AR ammo where the high spring pressure and rough case creates so much friction that the top round does not feed properly.

I also like to buy my mags in batches, and I number each mag. If one mag from the batch passes my tests, I usually consider the whole batch good.

Joe Mamma
    "Reliability above all else"
    NRA Certified Pistol and Rifle Instructor, Life Member
    Glock Certified Armorer
    Beretta & Sig Sauer Certified Pistol Armorer
    Colt Certified 1911 & AR-15/M16/M4 Law Enforcement Armorer

Feedback Score
    In Canada our centerfire semi-auto rifle mags are pinned to 5 rounds. 10 for pistol
    Yes, I know so just let it be.

The importer who pins the mags usually pins them tight at 5 rounds so there are issues loading on a closed bolt which we correct on our own.
    Naturally with only 5 rounds I will function check the whole mag from insertion on closed bolt, to lockback, to dropping free.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast