Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glock Mags vs. Colt Mags?

Feedback Score

Glock Mags vs. Colt Mags?

Hi all-

New member here. I'm considering purchasing a 9mm AR for training. My local range allows me to use pistol calibers in the training bays, and I'm limited to a static range with a static firing line with 5.56. I've already got a .22 LR DPMS upper that I've been using for this purpose, but the absolute lack of recoil is unrealistic. It will do for the time being, but I understand a 9mm AR would give me similar recoil.

So as I'm doing my research, I've found that everything comes down to pretty much two different options (as is no surprise to you guys here) ... Colt SMG style magazines, and Glock style magazines. As a Glock owner, with several 9mm guns and many more magazines, it was a no-brainer, until I realized that the last-round bolt-hold-open does't work with Glock mags, except for a few proprietary designs.

I'm looking to build/buy a 9mm AR in the not-so-distant future, but would like for it to be as close to my bare bones Windham Weaponry MPC as possible in feel, weight, and recoil. My intention is for this to be a training tool that fits in the place of my other gun with minimal differences.

For those who use Glock mag AR's, do you notice a difference in feel? Reloads don't go straight up into the magwell, and of course, do you miss the last-round bolt-hold open.

I'm leaning towards the Colt-style guns, but would appreciate saving money on magazines. But I'm especially concerned that I'll be missing the last round bolt hold open.

Thoughts?

Feedback Score
    I went with the angstadt arms 9mm lower, it's got LRBHO. LRBHO was a must for me. I thought I'd like the 9mm AR more but it hasn't turned out that way...yet. The mag angle is a little different, not too bad but enough that I can tell a difference. I went Glock mag because I could dual purpose the mags. Haven't bought another 9mm Glock yet (sold mine years and years ago). Mags are easier to come by too.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I have both. The Colt is the original and gold standard. If money is the main issue look at a Hahn Block. I have one. You slip mine up into the mag well and adjust the set screw. You use it in the same gun. You'll need a new upper. Colt type mags and a different buffer and spring and possibly a spacer. I have Colt Mags and PSA marked Metalform mags. They're the same mags at $20 vs $45-60 for Colt Marie mags. It's a no brainer buy the PSA mags. They're less than Glock 33's.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-9...-magazine.html

I would say the 9mm kicks a little more than the 5.56. It's not an issue but it's just different. More of a push too not the quick recoil of the 5.56.
    Last edited by usmcvet; 01-22-17 at 18:49.
    "Real men have always needed to know what time it is so they are at the airfield on time, pumping rounds into savages at the right time, etc. Being able to see such in the dark while light weights were comfy in bed without using a light required luminous material." -Originally Posted by ramairthree

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by usmcvet View Post
    I would say the 9mm kicks a little more than the 5.56. It's not an issue but it's just different. More of a push too not the quick recoil of the 5.56.
    Still closer than .22LR.

Thank you both for the insight. I think now that I know the PSA mags are the same as the super-expensive Colt mags, this one's close to a no-brainer for me. Unless I get anything to the contrary, I'll probably lean towards the Colt. Maybe even pick up a 6951.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I went with the Glock mag patterned Quarter Circle 10 and am happy with it. The LRBHO worked fine until I switched to a longer/heavy heavy buffer. After I figured out the buffer bumper needed to be trimmed it is back to working as it should. If you do go with a Glock patterned weapon then I would make sure to run the extra power mag springs to ensure there is enough oomph for the LRBHO to actuate since there are a couple extra parts that can cause them to bee sluggish. Mine runs pretty dirty needs to be kept clean for the LRBHO to work as it should.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepman1320 View Post
    I went with the Glock mag patterned Quarter Circle 10 and am happy with it. The LRBHO worked fine until I switched to a longer/heavy heavy buffer. After I figured out the buffer bumper needed to be trimmed it is back to working as it should. If you do go with a Glock patterned weapon then I would make sure to run the extra power mag springs to ensure there is enough oomph for the LRBHO to actuate since there are a couple extra parts that can cause them to bee sluggish. Mine runs pretty dirty needs to be kept clean for the LRBHO to work as it should.
    Thanks... those look nice, but pricey for sure. I guess that's the one drawback to the Glock mag models is that they're all billet, which adds a few bucks.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I own both of what you are looking at. If you want to save money and own Glock Mags I would go with the Glock 9mm AR. ETS mags work in mine and they are very cheap.

Feedback Score
    Deleted
    Last edited by bfoosh006; 08-29-17 at 19:37.

Feedback Score
    Deleted
    Last edited by bfoosh006; 08-29-17 at 19:37.

Feedback Score
    I just put a PSA Glock 9mm AR pistol together and have a RRA 16" 9mm colt pattern AR (Hahn block & metalforms).
    The RRA has never given me any problems, not a super accurate barrel but never failed to feed or fire. Years ago mags were around $40, today they're $20 for the same Metalform mags. so no cost difference between the two platforms unless you're already flush with Glock mags.
    LRHO is a must in my Colt pattern rifle, the mags don't like to seat on a closed bolt without a hard slap. The Glock pattern AR seats like a pistol, so LRHO isn't a priority. It's a nice feature in any AR but nothing I'd pay a lot to have. Based on what I've read on both the LRHO feature seems to be more reliable overall in the Colt SMG platform.

No wrong choice here, both run great. I think having a pistol & carbine that takes the same mag isn't that big a deal. Especially if we're talking about a mag you can buy new for $20. There are a lot of other carbines that take Glock mags (JRC, Sub2k, TNW, Theuron, etc) so if you invest in a foot locker of Glock mags and decide to ditch the AR there's other stuff to move to. I can't think of anything else that runs the Colt SMG type of mag.

Magpul, ETS, & KCI also make Glock mags, but I've read that non-factory Glock mags are a tight fit in my PSA. I think they all work but only the factory Glock mags will drop free.

If you go with the Colt smg mags spring for a good speed loader like a Maglula. Those springs are strong and getting the 30th round in a mag will wear your thumb out fast.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast