Thread: 10mm, 180gr JHP & AA#7

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

10mm, 180gr JHP & AA#7

I have about 7 gallons of 10mm brass processed and ready to load.
    and 1000 rounds of Remington Golden Sabers JHP 180gr
    I looked around and see AA#7 and AA#9 as good 10mm powder;
    My local shop had both #7 and #9 in stock

It seems #7 is good up to 180gr and #9 for 180gr-200gr; or at least that's what I understand at this point.

So, I bought 3 Lbs of #7.
    Anyone have experience with this load? I loaded up some in the 11.4 gr and some in the 12.0 (which I had seen several folks use, but see it at the max end of the powder range; and will only work up to that load)
    I plan to load some up on the 10.6 gr range and chrono them and work my way up if needed from there....
    I plan to shoot this out of a Sig P220, HK USP 10mm and HK MP5 10mm.
    Looking for something with some good velocity, thinking in the 1200 fps range; but I haven't really shot 10mm that much to get a feel for what I really want to shoot and have loaded for "farm use"
    Maybe I should have two loads, one tamer for the range and then one full house for deer or if stumble over hogs/coyote etc.
    Thanks for sharing any thoughts

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I used 11.4 g AA7 and some 180 grain bullets. Nice load. No issues.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Take a look at 800X it will work well with 180-200 grain bullets and can get you to and beyond 1200fps.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    thanks guys!

Feedback Score
    The only load that I've ever used in 10mm is AA#7 and Zero 180JHP's. Works so good that I have not been tempted to try another combination. It's nice when the advice you receive from others works out great.

BTW, what's this about a USP in 10mm? I've never heard of such an animal.

Feedback Score
    BTW, my Nosler reloading manual says that W231 produced their most accurate results.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I am on the road right now and don't have my load data with me. I can tell you that AA #7 was originally developed with 10mm especially in mind. I was in on some of the early load development using this powder and 180 gr slugs. 1300+ fps from a 5" barrel is doable. Your MP5 will eat it up! (This is my jealous face) There are other good powders now for 10mm (power pistol being another) and AA #9 would also be good at 180gr and above as you mentioned. #7 I still find to be an all around great powder. Easy to meter, stabile and consistent.

I have shot 1 deer with my Delta Elite (180 gr Norma factory load) and a nice broadside at about 30 yards. It ran about 40 yards before collapsing. Clean kill.
    Last edited by soulezoo; 01-27-17 at 21:41.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret View Post
    The only load that I've ever used in 10mm is AA#7 and Zero 180JHP's. Works so good that I have not been tempted to try another combination. It's nice when the advice you receive from others works out great.

BTW, what's this about a USP in 10mm? I've never heard of such an animal.
    So,
    I took a HK usp .45 tactical
    Took off the top end
    Put on a .40 slide. I out a firedragon .40 barrel in and reamed it to 10mm myself
    I bent feed lips on the .45 mag, 18 lb recoil spring and opened the ejection port to eject live rounds
    Seems to function 100% in my limited testing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I've been hand loading 10mm since 1986 and have tried everything under the sun for loads. #7 is a great powder for the cartridge. As previously mentioned it's great for 180gr loads and lighter, but I've used it on 200gr loads as well. 800x is a very forgiving powder. It seems like you can just keep adding more without excessive pressure signs. Now, I'm exaggerating of course, but it is a great powder. Double Tap has a duplex load with a 135gr Nosler JHP over a 95gr lead ball that I wanted to duplicate, and I was able to exceed his load by over a 100fps using 800x. The finer grain powders would fill the case up too much, not compress, and I couldn't seat the bullets. 800x worked like a charm. It doesn't meter worth a damn, however. It's just that the flakes are too big.

My favorite powders for it are 800x, Power Pistol, Blue Dot and my absolute #1 powder for it is Longshot. I've loaded up 200gr JHP with 9.0gr of it safely, and get some tremendous velocities (well over 1200fps) with mild signs of pressure. Work it up slowly and at your own risk...there may be typo in this post...

Longshot meters well and pressures always seem to be OK, and you can really push the bullets out at some good velocities. (It's also a great 5.7 powder!)

Tom