Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: $1500 to spend on hunting/SPR

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainelymark View Post
    Thanks again brigand. So, no need for a pinned gas block. I want the 16" middy but if the reduction in recoil with an 18" rifle length is somewhat significant, I'll go that route. I haven't found any info on mid vs rifle recoil wise. There's quite a bit on carbine vs mid though. Would the percentage in felt recoil reduction between a mid and a carbine be similar to the difference between a rifle and mid? My girls tough but I want her to have fun and not develop a flinch. Thanks
    IMO, the reduction from carbine to mid is greater than from mid to rifle. The 16" mid is very pleasant to shoot. If you want the 16" but are hanging onto the 18" for recoil purposes, then go with the 16" upper. When going between my 16" middy and 20" government rifles, it's not really a question of recoil at all; they are both very soft shooting. The real benefit, to me and my style of shooting, is that the 20" has a more forward balance that reduces muzzle movement. Again, though, that's me. I spend a lot of time with a shooting sling and sitting in uncomfortable positions. If I shoot off of a pack or rest, there is very little difference in felt recoil against my shoulder.

With ARs, I find that flinches come more from the noise and blast than the recoil.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    Gonna go with BCM complete upper from bcm and lower from gandr. Gonna be one of the following uppers and a BCM lower with geissele SSA-E trigger. Lower is $620 w/ Geissele.

#1 SS410 16" KMR A 15", bcm bcg, bcm mod 4 ch, bcm mod 0 comp $903, $1523 w/lower

#2 SS410 16" everything the same with "ionbond" black coating $973, $1593 w/lower

#3 SS410 18" rifle length gas, everything else the same as #1 $988, $1608 w/lower

#4 MK12 18" (same as #3 with ionbond black as well as pinned gas block) $1101, $1721 w/lower

As you can see, i will exceed my $1500 limit with a few of these which will cut into my optic budget. Are there any unnecessary parts that i could remove from list to lower the price? Obviously a 16" is cheaper. But I watched a youtube vid of a guy shooting the recce 16 precision (ss410 complete rifle) and it shot great at 800yds until the barrel heated up (20rds) then he started having accuracy issues. Will there be any difference with the 18" with the thicker mk12 profile? (Video was titled "bcm ss410 16" ar15 at 800 yards").

These picks include the bcm comp. I assumed a comp or brake would be good for the youngin's. How bout standard flash hider?
    Maybe keep the stock trigger ($210 less) or go with cheaper g2s trigger? ($80 less)

Keeping the stock trigger would put those rifles at $1313-$1510.

Thanks fellas
    For what it's worth man, I have a PNT trigger. The stock BCM trigger now, its comparable to the ALG ACT trigger. For a stock trigger it's pretty bueno. Might be something to look into. Save money. Then step up to the Geissele SSA or what ever trigger you end up on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Like pictures of guns, dogs, and trucks? Me too. Let's be friends, or not, whatever you want to do. Just an option
    Instagram

Psalm 140:4
    Profile pic by 556 Productions

Feedback Score
    Thanks mballz. I'm gonna go pnt. Pretty darn sure it'll be choice #2. 16" ionbond black. Now I gotta research glass a bit. I guess another thread is in order.

Thank you all for the help. I'll make sure to update after my purchase. Might be the end of February before she's set up.

Feedback Score
    Thanks mballz. I'm gonna go pnt. Pretty darn sure it'll be choice #2. 16" ionbond black. Now I gotta research glass a bit. I guess another thread is in order.

Thank you all for the help. I'll make sure to update after my purchase. Might be the end of February before she's set up.
    Awesome man. Glad we could all help! What kind of optic you looking at LPVO? Or a little higher on the magnification range? Also what kind of budget are you working with for glass?

Like pictures of guns, dogs, and trucks? Me too. Let's be friends, or not, whatever you want to do. Just an option
    Instagram

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If I may, if you're going to buy the BCM Mk12, please keep in mind two things:

The BCM does not come with the Swan Sleeve pictured in the photos (that's an extra $300)
    The BCM is not an actual Mk12 clone - wrong barrel, wrong muzzle device, wrong gas block, charging handle is wrong unless you pay to upgrade it, wrong trigger if you get the lower

If you like the BCM because you like BCM, great. If you're trying to buy a Mk12 clone, look at PRI, HCS, or Centurion Arms. PRI specifically is few hundred cheaper for the upper and is an actual clone using an actual Mk12 barrel.
    Last edited by Skyyr; 01-26-17 at 11:46.

Feedback Score
    Looking at a hunting scope that I could use for target as well. Would love a 2-10 power but I don't think I'll find one in my budget ($350). So far thinking about a Weaver GS tactical or leupold mark AR.

Thanks Skyyr. I am aware of that now. I have no interest in a clone, I just figured an mk12 "type" setup would be inherently more accurate than a thinner barrelled carbine. That was the only reason I was interested in the DD PRO, the 18" S2W heavier barrel and the fact that DD isn't currently making a rifle with a 16" S2W.
    After one of the fellas here posted about the BCM 16" SS410 I looked it up and with everyones help saw that it would probably be the best of both worlds for me.

Feedback Score
    You can save monew on a scope... skip illumination and go for a narrow magnification range and you should be able to get a decent scope . For instance, look at a 3x9.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-26-17 at 20:59.

Feedback Score
    Looking at a hunting scope that I could use for target as well. Would love a 2-10 power but I don't think I'll find one in my budget ($350). So far thinking about a Weaver GS tactical or leupold mark AR.
    I know this is more suited for an optics thread, but you already brought it up.

The price bracket you mentioned can be tough for quality. There's nothing wrong with the ones you mentioned, but I'll offer a few more options that might meet your needs well.

SWFA SS fixed 6x42 ($299)
    https://swfa.com/optics/browse/rifle...lescope-1.html

The SS series are known to be a great balance of quality, durability, and price. The fixed 6x magnification gives you enough to reach out to all the practical ranges of your rifle, while also giving you enough field of view for hunting. By removing the mechanisms required for changing magnifications, the scope can be made tougher and more inexpensively.

If you can stretch a bit, the SWFA SS3-15x42 packs a lot of usable features into an affordable package ($450)
    https://swfa.com/catalog/product/vie...category/6896/

Vortex 1-6x24 Strike Eagle package ($350, includes mount)
    https://swfa.com/optics/browse/rifle...scope-kit.html
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score

$1500 to spend on hunting/SPR

In that range you can look at the Vortex Diamondback Tacticals. If you want more of a traditional scope with adjustable turrets. You're going to be hard pressed to get quality in that range. Able to be had but difficult for sure.

Last edited by mballz23; 01-26-17 at 13:58.
    Instagram

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456