Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: $1500 to spend on hunting/SPR

Feedback Score
    Ive hunted whitetail and mule deer with 16" and 20" ARs.

My current and favorite hunting setup is a 20" CHF PSA barrel with a shaved pinned FSB under a 15" ALG rail, on a A5 lower with ALG ACT trigger, and a Redfield 2-7x33.

I much prefer the 20" because its way easier on the ears (your hunting party will appreciate it more than a 16") and that tiny bit of extra velocity helps the already barely adequate (for four legged beasts anyway) .223.

Also, the rifle gas length has more desirable recoil characteristics, its easier for me to keep the animal in the glass on running shots than with 16" guns.

Of the rifles OP listed, Id go with the Daniel Defense 18" with the rifle length gas.
    Last edited by BFS; 01-24-17 at 18:54.

Feedback Score
    Edit to add: You mention hunting, which implies a field rifle. Be careful of using stainless barrels in very low temperatures. 416R stainless will fare better in cold temperatures than 410, but either one will require a heavier profile.[/QUOTE]

So, I'm very interested in the Recce 16 & 18 kmr precision models. They have the 410 SS that you mentioned. What exactly is the issue with the stainless in cold weather?

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by skp View Post
    Good guess, but he listed rifles costing $1400-1500.
    Yes, because that is what his budget is for the rifle.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    OP, what is your expectation of precision?
    I'd love for it to shoot under 1.5 moa. I have had a few and currently have a very accurate bolt gun that's sub moa. I have also hunted (years ago) with a 30-30 that shot 3-4" at 100yds on a good day. An inaccurate rifle frustrates me. I like the idea of having my bullets POI be where I intended it to be.

Feedback Score
    13 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainelymark View Post
    I'd love for it to shoot under 1.5 moa. I have had a few and currently have a very accurate bolt gun that's sub moa. I have also hunted (years ago) with a 30-30 that shot 3-4" at 100yds on a good day. An inaccurate rifle frustrates me. I like the idea of having my bullets POI be where I intended it to be.
    Any of those rifles should do that no problem with good ammo.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kenny256 View Post
    Yes, because that is what his budget is for the rifle.

Okay, your post made me think you meant "rifle AND scope" for 1500. My bad.
    Last edited by skp; 01-24-17 at 19:59.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Roger that. That's not an unreasonable expectation with quality ammo.

Given that your looking at DD, have you considered the V11 Pro? On paper, it looks like it would be up your alley, and you could sell off the goofy trigger for the SSA you want.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Roger that. That's not an unreasonable expectation with quality ammo.

Given that your looking at DD, have you considered the V11 Pro? On paper, it looks like it would be up your alley, and you could sell off the goofy trigger for the SSA you want.
    I have considered the v11 pro. V7 vs v11 key mod vs m lok doesn't matter to me as I have no plans on mounting anything on it. Between those it would be whichever is cheaper.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Roger. Cant go wrong either way.

I have considered the v11 pro. V7 vs v11 key mod vs m lok doesn't matter to me as I have no plans on mounting anything on it. Between those it would be whichever is cheaper.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Go with MLOK over KeyMod, if given an option. It's much stronger and robust, and will likely have a longer longevity due to Magpul. backing it. Google "KeyMod failure" before making a decision (also search for "M-LOK failure" afterwards, for comparison).

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast