Thread: Has the S&W 25 become collectable?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Has the S&W 25 become collectable?

The S&W Model 25 Mountain Gun 45 Colt is one of my all time favorite handguns. I recently went to look at buying one and they are well over 1000 bucks when I find then online. Along with almost all of them being 6 inch barrels.

I remember seeing a couple for sale about 6 years ago for 600 - 700 bucks locally.

Have they become a collectable now?
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Most older S&W have become collectable. A 66 4in barrel, which was a typical police revolver, are now approaching a grand in the right circumstances

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    The .45 Colt Mountain Gun was only available in a 4" barrel.
    The mod 25-5 had 4, 6 and possibly 8" barrels.
    The older, pinned barrel guns have become very collectible-with prices reflecting that.
    Even the newer, non pinned, MIM guns are high- as you noted.

They are nice revolvers.
    Probably my favorite N frame caliber.
    Personally I'd look for an older, pinned, non MIM gun.
    Good ones can still be found for just a bit more than the newer S&Ws.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Yeah I know the Mountain Gun has a 4 inch barrels but all in finding is 6 inch barrels.

Though a local guy is selling a 4 inch half lug 629 for a little over 600 bucks.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    That seems a good price for a 4" 629 if in decent shape.

And the 4" barrel N frames have commanded a premium over other barrel lengths the last few years.

Feedback Score
    If that 4" 629 is a non lock version, I would grab it at that price, if only for a wise investment.

I am a .44 guy, and have a few. I can recall in what seems like the not too distant past when I thought it was nuts, and I would be damned if I would pay more than $450 dollars for an old Model 29, like a 29-2. In fact, I recall begrudgingly paying just under 5 bills for a new in presentation box Model 29-2 4". Now that gun would be easily 3 times what I paid.

You have to know the specific models, as well as the market, but overall, most older Smith have gone up in price a fair bit. Of course so has everything else. That said, if you had invested $500 or $1,000 10 or 15 years ago in certain stocks, versus S&W revolvers, odds are , with compound interest, that the stocks would be worth more than the handguns. It simply pays to know each type of market.
    THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.