Thread: Tyr Group llc/Lone Star Medics-Rural Pursuit/Tac.Med Course AAR

Feedback Score

Tyr Group llc/Lone Star Medics-Rural Pursuit/Tac.Med Course AAR

Class: Rural Pursuit/Tac. Med. Course
    Where: Leesville, Louisiana
    When: 1/11/17 to 1/15/17
    Who: Tyr Group LLC & Lone Star Medics
    Instructors: John Hurth and Caleb Causey

Please see their websites for Instructor Bios.

The Rural Pursuit/Tac. Med. Course is a 5 day (60 hour) course centered around the pursuit, and ultimately the capture or kill, of a fleeing suspect(s)/enemy(s), by a “visual tracker”/TEAM. The course blends Tactical/field Medicine, Small Unit Tactics, and Combat Tracking. This class had students from the LE community, Mil. (prior and current), and SAR.

Day 1-
    The first day covered the majority of the Tactical Medicine portion of the class and was delivered by Caleb. He reviewed the priorities of Tactical medicine and delved into each section via lecture. We then moved on to treating/reducing life threatening injuries typically sustained by gunfire, to include-massive hemorrhaging, penetrating chest trauma, airway management, and prevention/treatment of shock. During each subject, Caleb reviewed the pros/cons of different commercially available medical equipment. We then moved into patient carries/drags to include some litter work.

Day 2-
    Started at the “track pit” with John detailing a short history on tracking, tracking terminology, and visual interpretation of “sign”. During this period students were introduced their 1st sets of tracks and John explained/demonstrated the information that can be gained from ground sign such as quarry injuries, discipline (walking vs. patrolling), weight of equipment, speed of travel, leader identification, armament, etc.…

In the afternoon, John took the class for a walk down a “track line” that he had created where he exposed the students to site exploitation and more “typical” sign (ground and aerial) that a visual tracker would more realistically see, versus complete prints in sand/hard dirt. He also discussed “counter tracking” such as booby traps, deception trails, etc.… One interesting note is that when John laid his 1st set of tracks across the sand/dirt pit I was shocked at how hard it was for me to see them and immediately thought that the class was going to be a long one…. However as the training progressed, and John tuned our eyes, it was amazing how easily you could pick up sign by the end of the week.

Day 3-
    Started at the track pit, getting our eyes calibrated, and the tracks became more “complex”. John began having ½ of the class leave the pit area and having the other half walk into the pit and “act” out a scenario. The “tracking team” would then be summoned to the pit and would begin dissecting/interpreting the “site” to include; number of personnel, entry/exit points, quarry discipline, injuries, weight loads, order of “march”, etc.…

Later in the day, each student conducted their 1st track. Caleb took the remainder of the class and created a “track line”, for the tracker (and John) to follow. John worked with each student individually helping them identify sign, interpret it, and predict where the “rabbits” (those being tracked) were headed. This being the 1st track, students got to experience how the terrain, time of year, and changing lighting conditions affected the ability to “see sign”. I got the best deal on this run as Caleb decided to walk half way to Georgia on my track, fantastic learning opportunity, while also getting an early introduction to lost track drills!

While waiting for the tracker to find them, the rabbits were given “pro tips” by Caleb on various subjects such as foot care, dehydration prevention, ordering up Medevac. or, he would have the student’s self-apply tourniquets for time. The LSM standard is 12 seconds to fully apply a TQ to either yourself or a wounded team mate, so people learned a lot in regards to TQ/equipment placement.

Day 4-
    Started at the track pit (there is a pattern and it is an important part of John’s methodology) with the students being given 10 minutes to process the pit and deliver their theory on what transpired. We were then introduced to basic patrolling formations, hand signals and small unit tactics. From then on, tracking was done as a team and the number of rabbits (and sympathetic sign) was reduced, making the tracks harder with the added requirement of conducting the track while maintaining Team security. Each student rotated through the different team positions, including tracker, TL/cover man, and flanker(s). John then introduced lost track drills (I had a head start on this) to the class and how to incorporate them while maintaining Team security and maximizing the terrain. We then moved into counter tracking-detection where John introduced us to common methods people employ to attempt to throw off a tracker. Some of the methods/topics discussed are not in his book (Combat Tracking Guide) as he tries to limit the availability of these tactics/techniques, to the good guys…

Day 5-
    Started in the track pit and then everyone readied themselves for the final “track”. Sympathetic sign was greatly reduced and the rabbits (Caleb and one student) set up ambushes for the tracking team. The final day required the students to put it all together from tracking, to conducting lost track drills, reaction to contact, managing a GSW on a team member, ordering up a Medevac. and site exploitation. At the conclusion of the day, a final AAR was conducted (AARs were done at the end of each training day), certificates/patches were issued and team photos were taken. Yours truly had to depart a little early (for the ER) as I decided to attack a bush with my face/eye which resulted in Caleb and Pete getting to practice some of their real world medic bad-assery skills… My personal takeaway, don’t take your eye-pro off before you’re done working!!

Additional Info:
    John and Caleb are very personable instructors. John is very patient and has excellent command of this subject. His ability to bring his students up to the skill levels observed on day 5 (from day 1)is impressive. Caleb did an excellent job of meeting the needs of the students with a wide range of existing medical skill sets being present in the class and has the ability to de-mystify medical subjects so they are easily learned and retained! Like a lot of classes, the “in between time” is just as valuable as training time as you get to pick brains and hear relevant “stories”…. If you decide to attend John’s class be sure to eat dinner with the team, in the evenings. It is a great time and good fellowship with likeminded people.

The class is conducted in its entirety, in the field with most of the students camping at the training grounds. John’s class packet has a list of nearby accommodations, should you choose to stay in a motel or B&B. A quick plug is necessary for Allens Acers B&B…. They are EXCELLENT people, down to earth and the accommodations make you feel guilty when you roll into “camp”, in the morning. Okay, I didn’t really feel guilty...

It was great to meet the other students; everyone gelled and performed well together!! If tracking, SUT, or Tac-Med. interests you, check these guys out!
    " I can't walk with gum in my mouth...It makes it to where I can't breathe"-The Wife Unit

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Thank you for the AAR, this is very interesting. I had not heard of John Hurth before, I will look into his offerings.

I have been fortunate enough to train under Caleb and Lone Star Medics several times. He definitely is a passionate and highly-skilled teacher. His TQ training is just awesome, I am glad you got to learn from him!