Thread: Sight acquisition and focus.

Feedback Score
    24 (100%)

Sight acquisition and focus.

Good evening,

Really trying to be more particular about my training to set goals for myself. I'm currently working on sight acquisition, where to focus, and then multiple targets. Specifically with iron sights on my Glock. I run a fiber optic front and black rear.

To put it bluntly I'm really trying to get good at these skills with my iron sights especially after trying a Glock with an RMR. The RMR solved a lot of my problems and made my shooting faster and more accurate. I'm hoping I can practice more with my current sights and save myself 600 bucks.

Anyway. First question. Do you always focus on the front sight? I hear every trainer say front sight focus is key. However when trying to acquire a target, if my eyes are on the target I feel I can still get a decent sight picture while focusing on the target. Is this a bad habit? Does anybody else do this? I find I'm very slow to switch where my eye focuses, and after a few repetitions my eyes get very tired and sore.

Second, if you're presented with two targets, can you explain the steps your eyes take and when? Do you keep for focus on your sights while tracking to the second target or do you break contact, look at he target then re-acquire the sights?

I have an idea the answer probably varies per shooter and, of course, different strokes for different folks. I'm just trying to avoid getting into a bad habit and reinforcing that bad habit.

Thank you,
    Derek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    From my teaching a basic firearms class for too many years (never got shot, however)
    You're eyes can focus on 2 things fairly easy. Can't do 3 things. You must focus on the front sight and the target downrange. The rear sight should be blurred, but you can see daylight on both sides of the front sight through the rear sight. Center front sight on middle of the target and squeeze your rounds off. Of course, lots of other things to consider. Consistency of grip, target/sight alignment, trigger control. Lots of things to consider. Key thing to remember: Work on these basics, take your time doing so. Get it down slowly and smoothly, then speed up in increments, where fast=smooth.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek33 View Post
    Good evening,

Really trying to be more particular about my training to set goals for myself. I'm currently working on sight acquisition, where to focus, and then multiple targets. Specifically with iron sights on my Glock. I run a fiber optic front and black rear.

To put it bluntly I'm really trying to get good at these skills with my iron sights especially after trying a Glock with an RMR. The RMR solved a lot of my problems and made my shooting faster and more accurate. I'm hoping I can practice more with my current sights and save myself 600 bucks.

Anyway. First question. Do you always focus on the front sight? I hear every trainer say front sight focus is key. However when trying to acquire a target, if my eyes are on the target I feel I can still get a decent sight picture while focusing on the target. Is this a bad habit? Does anybody else do this? I find I'm very slow to switch where my eye focuses, and after a few repetitions my eyes get very tired and sore.

Second, if you're presented with two targets, can you explain the steps your eyes take and when? Do you keep for focus on your sights while tracking to the second target or do you break contact, look at he target then re-acquire the sights?

I have an idea the answer probably varies per shooter and, of course, different strokes for different folks. I'm just trying to avoid getting into a bad habit and reinforcing that bad habit.

Thank you,
    Derek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'll answer number 2. When shooting multiple targets rapidly, you look at what you want to hit only as long as it takes to ensure your hit, then your eyes move to the next target, repeat. You do not focus on your sights, but you will see them. Your eyes may even leave the target milliseconds before the shot breaks.
    Your eyes are much faster than your sights. Your sights will follow your eyes without staring at the front sight. Just like pointing your finger at multiple objects in a room, your eyes go first, your finger catches up.
    That is as simple as I can explain it via testing. This is what Frank Proctor taught me. He also has lots of you tubes and DVDs.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

IL (formely the worst damn state in the nation, but no more. Thank You New York.)
    Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    You will reach a time, as I have, where you cannot focus on the front sight. I have maintained acceptable combat accuracy focusing on the target and "attempting" to focus on the front sight. Having said that - I'm getting ready to ship my p320 slide off for a red dot sight:)

John
    Last edited by jmoore; 01-29-17 at 13:49.
    jmoore (aka - geezer john)

"The state that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." Thucydides

Feedback Score
    Sketchy wifi OCONUS caused a double, sorry.
    Last edited by MegademiC; 01-28-17 at 17:46.

Feedback Score
    I'm no expert, but I would say, it depends. Within 10 yards, I focus in target and see my sights on it. Transitions are similar to what p2000 said.

At distance 25yds, 5" target, I look at target and change focus as sights move over target.

Same as above but close together (targets inches apart, I keep hard front sight focus)

There is a lot of variability in between... just my thoughts, to explain how I do it. Also using this thread to see if I'm doing it wrong, so thanks.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek33 View Post
    Do you always focus on the front sight? I hear every trainer say front sight focus is key. However when trying to acquire a target, if my eyes are on the target I feel I can still get a decent sight picture while focusing on the target. Is this a bad habit? Does anybody else do this? I find I'm very slow to switch where my eye focuses, and after a few repetitions my eyes get very tired and sore.

An old ditty I have used when teaching new shooters 'to win the battle, to win the fight, keep your eye on your front sight.' Sounds good, but is it true? is it even possible under stress? I don't know, what I do know is that the human eye can only focus on one location/point at a time.

Dependent on lighting conditions, and distance from eye to front sight to target, you maybe able to have the the front sight and target both somewhat in focus at the same time. This is going to be at close range only, at longer ranges no way. Our eyes lose visual acuity very quickly as the light level goes down. My wife tells me we normally are around f8 in bright light, in dim light that drops to around f2 (wife teaches vision impaired kids).

There is a pretty well established school of thought that in the throes of a stress situation our focus will be on what we perceive as the threat and it is impossible for the average person to shift their focus to the front sight as the fine motor control of the eye muscle will be lost for the moment.

What you need to be able to quickly do is 'get the sight picture you get to get the hit you need to make.' Here is a drill to help - start with weapon in a muzzle elevated ready, the front sight should be visible between you and the target (start with a blank wall) focus on the target, press out with muzzle elevated, as you reach full extension and your front sight drops switch focus to it. Do that several times on the blank wall then put up a simple bulls eye target and do the same shifting focus to the front sight as the weapon drops level; the next step would be repeat with dry press, when ready go live with one shot drill.

The idea is that you are shifting focus just enough to the sight to get the hit you want. Of course if you are 50 yards from the target this will take more focus on the front sight than at 10 yards.

Thank you,
    Derek.
    As someone else mentioned DO NOT move your weapon while maintaining focus on the front sight, you need to look to the next target, then move the weapon to your eyes. Competitors in disciplines where the target locations are known - as an example a plate rack, can get by following the sight to the next plate, but that is not the way the real world works.

YMMV as to when you come off the follow through on the first target and shift you focus to the next, some folks will do so as soon as the shot breaks, others will ensure a hit first, others will fire a second shot then transition to the next target. Decide what tactic you want to use after considering pros and cons as you see them. I will stress, regardless of which technique you use do not come off the sight until the bullet has left the barrel, stay locked in until the shot is complete.

JMO Good luck.

Feedback Score
    It depends. Starting off I would say that focus on your front sight is the goal. After some time you will discover what an acceptable sight picture looks like for a given target/distance.

As far as multiple targets go. I look at target, point boomstick at said target, transition focus to front sight, press the trigger, look at the next target, rinse and repeat. As 26 Inf said following your sights as you transition might work well on evenly placed targets as in a plate rack, but I don't believe it's all that applicable for practical application or even when targets are spaced far apart.

Others may have different techniques that work well for them, this works well for me. I have found that when I miss, it's usually due to not transitioning my focus back to the front sight.

Hope this helped
    Last edited by pyrotechnic; 01-28-17 at 21:58.

Feedback Score
    I use a target focus for all the closer stuff. I can still see my sights well enough to line them up but they are a little blurry. I have no problem making good hits. For longer shots I'll drop back to my front sight.

I think it was Brian Enos that called a target focus a type 2 focus. It's not point shooting since you should still see your sights.

Louisiana, On I-10 west of NOLA, east of BR
    Feedback Score
    I was trained the eyes move first to the next target then the gun.