Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to make a 300BLK quieter

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

How to make a 300BLK quieter

Quote Originally Posted by ar_noob View Post
    You know if the VLTOR A5 takes a standard length buffer spring and buffer?
    So that option is closed, because I really like the 7 position B5 stock. I'm seriously considering the Gemtech Surpressor bolt carrier. It's just $220 is a lot of money when it doesn't even come with the bolt.
    The A5 system uses a rifle spring & A5 buffers.
    You can also use your B5 stock with the A5 RE.

What are your expectations with Gemtech BCG? Do you think it'll quiet things down?
    Last edited by Ryno12; 01-29-17 at 11:13.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Unfortunately, I think your expectations are too high.

Unless you have a really excessive gas port there is little to be gained with an adjustable gas block or carrier. A heavier buffer is probably worth trying. What A5 buffer do you have in it now?

A longer barrel 10"-12" is slightly quieter to me. Reloading with faster powder is slightly quieter, but you end up loosing reliability with supers because the port has to be bigger.

You can spend a lot of time and money on a little improvement with an AR or just get a bolt action.

Feedback Score
    Maybe my expectations are too high. I think I need to get someone else to shoot it and see what the noise it like from a 3rd party persoective not just that if the shooter.

I'm not exactly sure what spring buffer combo is in there at the moment, I purchased the lower complete from Scionics with the VLTOR A5 and 7 position B5 stock. Any way I can tell from how the buffer is marked or should I reach out to Scionics to ask?

I'll give some reloads a go for sure a lot of people have recommended that, just wondered if there was anything obvious I'd overlooked.

Overall I'm very happy with it, it's reliable and compact, a few more decibels noise reduction is a nice to have not a requirement and certainly not going to break the bank to achieve it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryno12 View Post
    The A5 system uses a rifle spring & A5 buffers.
    You can also use your B5 stock with the A5 RE.

What are your expectations with Gemtech BCG? Do you think it'll quiet things down?
    My expectation of the Gemtech is that it will reduce the force / speed the carrier gets pushed back at, giving me a better case ejection angle when suppressed and perhaps reduced carrier noise. Am I off base there?
    Last edited by ar_noob; 01-29-17 at 13:34.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    If the A5 Buffer is unmarked that usually means its the A5H2, which is the standard.

I run a similar setup, 9" 300BLK and 9.25" can. This works with a A5H4 but I have not tried anything other than suppressed subs.

I have an extra LMT Enhanced carrier I may try to run. I think that will reduce port pop a little but, but probably not enough to make a difference.

Bottom line, I have shot exactly 2 rounds without ears. I have no expectation to ever shoot without ears and the AR platform.
    Last edited by Rayrevolver; 01-29-17 at 13:49.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    What about an adjustable gas block?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    as other members stated reloads tailored to your set up..
    I use a jp spring in majority of my canned set ups no problems and the spriong sound is removed i really thing if you just buy this item it would please your db chase

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Any way I can tell from how the buffer is marked
    Flip your upper open. the VLTOR buffers are clearly marked.

A5-x ( ex: A5-3 )
    VLTOR
    Patent, etc...

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious_ar15 View Post
    What about an adjustable gas block?
    That's what I was thinking. Let the suppressor do more work and the action less.

Feedback Score
    My only thoughts with the adjustable gas block is if I'm gonna spend $100 then why not just spend $200 on the Gemtech BCG for the same effect but easier to switch between suppressed / unsupressed settings?

Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    Flip your upper open. the VLTOR buffers are clearly marked.

A5-x ( ex: A5-3 )
    VLTOR
    Patent, etc...
    I should have just taken a look huh, there it is staring me in the face. A5H2. I'll pick up an A5H4 and a rifle length JP flat wire spring see what difference that makes.

Thank you again for your input everyone, very helpful.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    My only thoughts with the adjustable gas block is if I'm gonna spend $100 then why not just spend $200 on the Gemtech BCG for the same effect but easier to switch between suppressed / unsupressed settings?

I should have just taken a look huh, there it is staring me in the face. A5H2. I'll pick up an A5H4 and a rifle length JP flat wire spring see what difference that makes.

Thank you again for your input everyone, very helpful.
    If you can get an allen wrench on your adjustable block then it's simply a matter of click, click, click. You can go from full gas to shut the gas off. I don't think a BCG can do that.

You probably paid near $800+ for a device that was engineered to suppress sound associated with gasses. So send it more gas. You are already going to spend $70 now to soften the recoil.

Your way. $200 to get the gas back to the BCG and have the BCG somehow silence itself with the noisy gasses and banging metal. This is contrary to or secondary to a suppressor. No one buys a BCG in the hopes it will knock a few dB of the noise without first maximizing the suppressor situation.

Soo... $100 for a nice adjustable gas block might be all you need. The A5H2 is probably all you need, especially for your intended purpose.

Why let the gas get to the BCG? Less gas, lower buffer. I know there are people here that use A5H2 and that's probably even with non-Subs. Once you exhaust the full potential of the suppressor then you have to go to plan B, but it sounds like you haven't done that yet.

If you can't reload your lower power or don't want to . Then the $100 AGB would be the cheapest and perhaps only fix needed. If it doesn't work, you can probably sell it and only be out a few bucks. If it does work, then you saved $170+ ( buffer, spring, BCG ).

I mean that's just my opinion. If someone asked me, cost no object, we have two possible solutions. One involved routing gases back into the bolt and somehow venting them in such a way that they are quieter( which that BCG does not claim to do ). At the same time, we can buffer the recoil but the mechanical pieces are still going go through their travels at a high rate of speed that is simply going to make noise no matter what.

OR... we can route more gases through the muffler which will create no more mechanical noise but should alleviate some more gas noise. In the process it may reduce mechanical noise and reduce recoil

I'm just naturally going to pick the muffler first because that's what its for and it's a 'one item at a time' traceable, measurable fix.

Where does it say it makes things quieter?

GEMTECH Suppressed Bolt Carrier, there is a reduction in carrier speed and less felt recoil, bringing the cyclic rate of the suppressed rifle down to unsuppressed levels. And in some systems, testing has shown that it can actually bring it LOWER than unsuppressed levels.
    Well an adjustable gas block can bring it down to a stop. Your action won't cycle. Also the Gemtech vents the gas out the ejection port. so you will replace ( maybe ) mechanical noise with gas noise. Whereas you could just vent the gas through the suppressor.

Do you have to remove and handle the hot bolt to switch from U to S. An Allen wrench keeps your hands away from the hot surfaces, not to mention it's a lot cleaner and variably adjustable as opposed to On/Off.

I mean your solution may be the one, but just from a trouble shooting point, it's the last place I would go provided I could keep the action cycling. If I owned the muffler I would max it out first using traditional methods. I've read a lot of threads here and I don't think I have ever seen anyone go to a venting BCG as a first step in reducing noise.

ETA:... and really... no matter what you do.... is it really going to be any quieter? It's going to be quieter standing next to hay bales than an ice covered river... or you will think so.

Changing something several dB, which is what it sounds like you want is not going to be easy unless as others have said you use a smaller explosion to begin with.
    Last edited by tb-av; 01-30-17 at 11:36.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast