Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: How to make a 300BLK quieter

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    A simpler dedicated port can be very advantageous combined with a balanced reciprocating mass for that application.
    What if you want to access to a varied application. Various subs, various supers? what would be your game plan then? Something needs be adjustable / changeable, right?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    There is a lot that can go wrong using an adjustable gas block or carrier. Many components can seize, erode, self adjust, come loose, etc.. There are also secondary effects that can come into play, especially concerning erosion when the round count gets higher, this can occur in the barrel and gas block including it's own components, and even further down the system with the key/gas tube interface with an adjustable carrier.
    There is a lot that can go wrong with the adjustable gas system over a standard one. How many have had issues with a normal pinned FSB when done properly?
    As far as 150gr custom sub loads, the base intent was not to cycle those. I'm very hesitant into thinking that reduced pressure springs for this circumstance would equal the reliability of a more standard spring with the heavier standard sub sonic loads in a more appropriate mass for this combination. The spring pressures are chosen for a reason, the reduced tension may help the first half of the action cycle, but you seriously reduce the work capacity available using this for the second half of the action cycle.
    Adjustable gas blocks are great for helping to determining a good dedicated gas port size, but not so great for permanent solution for most. There are some situations when an adjustable gas is required, but those are fewer than most think. A simpler dedicated port can be very advantageous combined with a balanced reciprocating mass for that application.
    I do agree that the potential is there for more issues with an adjustable GB, just by the nature of adding moving parts to an area where there typically are none.
    As far as reliability, of course there's growing pains during the creation of loads. That's the nature of load development. Now that load & firearm are dialed in, they'll cycle brass, mag after mag, into a coffee can. I could've easily opened the gas port & just switched buffers. I purposely didn't want to do that just for the challenge of getting this combo to run. 300BLK, like 10mm, are a reloader's dream. There's so much versatility with those calibers. Sticking inside the box with factory loads on a 300BLK (or 10mm) is a crime IMO, not to mention, expensive.
    With regards to the work capacity of the second half of the action cycle, if the bolt is fully going into battery reliably, any additional remaining "work capacity" is wasted, no? Couldn't one even argue that any additional mass is actually harder on the system? Too much can also cause unwanted muzzle dip. All things being equal, if the BCG cycles reliably, and there's proper ejection & chambering, wouldn't lighter mass & spring weight be easier on the gun? (Mind you, with the gas is being throttled by the AGB.)
    I know this goes against the masses that recommend running the heaviest buffer that can cycle reliably but once you start throttling the gas, it seems the opposite can also be true.

Apologies to the OP for the derailment...
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    Yes, changes to the buffer mass to better suit each individual mode, but without a base gassing to a point that normal loads do not function well enough while being gassed and buffered by the least gas to drive in the action in range of function that can work well for all normal applications, just that some can be tailored better.

Feedback Score
    The first half of the action cycle is simply reciprocating the action to it's maximum stroke distance, the second half is going back all the way to full battery in the return stroke.

Feedback Score
    Thought I would post a quick update in case anyone else has the same question in the future. I fitted an SLR rifleworks Sentry 7 AGB and an LMT enchanced BCG and after tuning the AGB it's made a significant difference to the perceived noise at the shooters ear. Still haven't tried having someone else shoot it to get that perspective but I'm pretty pleased with the improvement. I've also ordered a Hydra US roller cam pin to try, mostly just for curiosities sake after I stumbled across it online, doubt it'll make any sound difference but hey ho it looks an interesting idea.

Next up is to try some reloads...time is a limited resource for me right now though so may take me a while to get to it.

Anyway, thanks for the advice all.

Here's what she looks like right now:

Last edited by ar_noob; 02-26-17 at 23:05.

Feedback Score
    9 (100%)
    Reloading will get you quieter than some factory loads. Factory loads tend to hover around an average of 1050 FPS for safety margin.

I tend to keep my sub handloads as close to 1000 FPS as the accuracy node will allow. This allows for the seasonal change in transsonic speed (Sonic Crack) due to temp changes and keeps me well under the supersonic crack in my AO.

Feedback Score
    Loads aside, mine is pretty quiet with the JP silent capture buffer system. I was shooting at the range side by side with a buddy who had either an H2 or H3 buffer and the annoying spring ping was noticeable. Probably nothing to do with overall shooter noise though.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234