Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Freedom Munitions?

Feedback Score
    The real issue with Freedom Munitions is not re-manufactured or new, it's the progressive loaders they use. The Ammo Load Mark L machines are great for straight wall pistol cartridges but suck for bottleneck rifle cartridges. The machines move to fast and they can't throw a full charge at one station so three are used. This fact increases the chance for an under/over charge. I've never used any of their ammunition but would shoot their pistol cartridges all day everyday. I just wouldn't shoot their rifle ammunition. Just look back on the ammo manufacturer kaboom ash heap. It's littered with companies who use the same style of machines. BVAC and HPR are a couple of examples...

ammomaker03big.jpg

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sadler View Post
    The real issue with Freedom Munitions is not re-manufactured or new, it's the progressive loaders they use. The Ammo Load Mark L machines are great for straight wall pistol cartridges but suck for bottleneck rifle cartridges. The machines move to fast and they can't throw a full charge at one station so three are used. This fact increases the chance for an under/over charge. I've never used any of their ammunition but would shoot their pistol cartridges all day everyday. I just wouldn't shoot their rifle ammunition. Just look back on the ammo manufacturer kaboom ash heap. It's littered with companies who use the same style of machines. BVAC and HPR are a couple of examples...

ammomaker03big.jpg
    Interesting. I have shot about 200 rounds of their 5.56 77gr HPBT and found it to be very consistent. Was I just lucky?

(Honest question, not trying to snark.)
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenhelmet View Post
    Interesting. I have shot about 200 rounds of their 5.56 77gr HPBT and found it to be very consistent. Was I just lucky?

(Honest question, not trying to snark.)
    200 rounds is an awfully small sample size. I would define luck as having ceased using Brand X rifle ammunition and not had a KB.

It's likely that every manufacturer, including the big names, have caused a KB or three. That being said, I think you'll find that each of the boutique manufacturers who have a higher than usual amount of KB's use inline machines. Does correlation equal causation? I don't know. It's just not worth the risk for me to try and find out.

ETA: I just realized you said you said your shooting 77's. I doubt they're using the inline machines for them.
    Last edited by M Sadler; 01-29-17 at 20:30.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sadler View Post
    200 rounds is an awfully small sample size. I would define luck as having ceased using Brand X rifle ammunition and not had a KB.

It's likely that every manufacturer, including the big names, have caused a KB or three. That being said, I think you'll find that each of the boutique manufacturers who have a higher than usual amount of KB's use inline machines. Does correlation equal causation? I don't know. It's just not worth the risk for me to try and find out.

ETA: I just realized you said you said your shooting 77's. I doubt they're using the inline machines for them.
    Good to know, thanks. Unfortunately, most mfrs don't advertise their methods.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenhelmet View Post
    Good to know, thanks. Unfortunately, most mfrs don't advertise their methods.
    Unless they're selling a ton of 77, I wouldn't guess they're using a production machine. Those machines ain't cheap. The in-lines are used for bulk pack type ammo. 55 to 62 and maybe 69's. I think it would be impossible for them to hold quality for their higher end ammunition.
    Last edited by M Sadler; 01-30-17 at 06:53. Reason: Pronouns

Feedback Score
    I can't personally speak to FM, but have seen one to many KB stories where the shooter was running their ammo. Yes, other factors could be at play in each instance. Additionally, for every one FM kaboom story there are countless reports of users running a ton of FM ammo and having no issues. Still, for me it's about mitigating risk, even if the risk is awfully small to begin with. At the prices they charge there are just too many other options. Options that are far less frequently mentioned in reports of catastrophic failures.

If you look around a bit, stuff like Wolf Gold, Gecco, PMC Bronze and X-Tac, IMI, and more can be found for close to 30¢ per round. Locally, you also might want to check Walmart for Perfecta .223. Brass cased, 55gr, and comes in just under 30¢ per round. For pistols, there are a lot of good options as well for comparable prices. If you're not married to brass, check Walmart again for Federal Aluminum. I've run A LOT of Federal Aluminum in .45 ACP and it's been extremely reliable. IIRC, the 9mm loading is around 17-18¢ per round.

Ultimately, you'd probably be fine with FM. For the right deal I might try it. But in the current market, I don't see a need to experiment with them for plinking/range ammo.
    "I actually managed to figure this one out: you've got to find a woman who loves God more than she loves you -- albeit just barely."

-Army Chief

I did not know the man quoted above, and joined this Forum after his passing. He seemed to be a leader of men; both spiritually and physically. Someone we'd all be proud to emulate.

Feedback Score
    MAC's take on FM. https://youtu.be/FJthkTLWa-4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    Their HUSH ammo is some of the quietest production subsonic ammo you can buy and I have never had an issue with it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had a primer fall out and completely bring down my AR. Not 30 seconds later my buddies bolt gun had the same issue. Different batches too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    20 (100%)
    My buddy and I have used probably close to 2000 rounds of the new 9mm rounds with probably 3-4 fail to fires. No kabooms or other issues. With the price of ammo so low right now, I haven't bought any FM lately.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast