Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Wick shooting style

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    12 (93%)

John Wick shooting style

I haven't seen this movie in full, just ordered it last night on Amazon. I have seen several scenes an Youtube and before I watched any part I thought this was going to be a cheesy movie but after watching a few scenes last night, I think I will like this movie. A question I had was the way Keanu was holding his gun in the club scene. He was holding the gun not at full arms length but fairly close to his chest and over towards his right side.

here is a gif. not sure if it will work.
    Attachment 43774

I know directors like Michael Mann and a few others go the extra mile in regards to authenticity and I know Keanu trained for like 3 months with professionals and even competed in a few 3 gun competitions before filming.

I just wanted to know if shooting a pistol like this is a tactic that works when engaged in within a few feet of you opponent or if this was just movie effects.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I can't see your pic, but I imagine it's what's considered the Center Axis Relock shooting method.
    http://www.pointshooting.com/1acar.htm

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    yes! that is it. pretty authentic.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by elephant View Post
    yes! that is it. pretty authentic.
    I've got to give it to the guy, he may or may not be a Hollywood douche bag, but the guy can shoot. Tom Cruise also.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    If that pic is from this scene... it's a bit of necessity involved as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-HSoOFdJ3s

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tb-av View Post
    If that pic is from this scene... it's a bit of necessity involved as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-HSoOFdJ3s
    HOLY SHIT!!! I know this is a movie but dang, his control and discipline is razor sharp.

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Inkslinger View Post
    I've got to give it to the guy, he may or may not be a Hollywood douche bag, but the guy can shoot. Tom Cruise also.
    They were trained by shooters to look like they can shoot, no different than fighters making them look like they can fight. I think it's great some actors like Keanu go the extra mile to train to look like shooters in a movie, but that does not make them shooters in my view. We have seen some great vids of Keanu on the range blasting away, but I don't recall actually seeing his targets up close and such. Actors will works for months with MA types, etc to look good in fight scenes, but that don't make them fighters. I get the sense Keanu actually likes to shoot and probably does even when not making movies, but most others, not so much.

Do we know how he actually did in his three gun matches?

Last edited by WillBrink; 02-15-17 at 08:05.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post
    They were trained by shooters to look like they can shoot, no different than fighters making them look like they can fight. I think it's great some actors like Keanu go the extra mile to train to look like shooters in a movie, but that does not make them shooters in my view. We have seen some great vids of Keanu on the range blasting away, but I don't recall actually seeing his targets up close and such. Actors will works for months with MA types, etc to look good in fight scenes, but that don't make them fighters. I get the sense Keanu actually likes to shoot and probably does even when not making movies, but most others, not so much.

I don't know about his targets, but would you be willing to put in that amount of work and not be able to hit the targets?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post

I don't think he has ever actually done a match.

Watching that video, it looks like the emphasis is on what they want for a movie, raw speed.

Not knocking the guy, but give him an array of 4x4 inch pistol targets at 15-25 yards and he would probably be humbled.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast