Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: John Wick shooting style

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I have to say that ECQC was one of the best classes I have taken.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by WillBrink View Post

Do we know how he actually did in his three gun matches?
    I don't think he has ever actually done a match.

Watching that video, it looks like the emphasis is on what they want for a movie, raw speed.

Not knocking the guy, but give him an array of 4x4 inch pistol targets at 15-25 yards and he would probably be humbled.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by noslorob View Post
    All things considered it's a movie. But as a shooting enthusiast and martial artist, I appreciate realism in gun handling in a movie. Collateral with Tom Cruise was the first time I saw a movie with realistic weapon handling until the Wick movies came out. It's cool to me to see it on screen.

After hearing all the rave reviews, I'm glad that I watched a few spoiler videos before shelling out the eight bucks to see the first John Wick. I didn't find it to be realistic in any sense. John Wick is a jedi, and all the guys he is fighting are storm troopers who can't hit shit, and all wait for their turn to fight him.

I thought Collateral and Sicario were much better. But I'm just a schmuck who has never been shot at.

Feedback Score
    12 (93%)
    Quote Originally Posted by IndianaBoy View Post
    I

Not knocking the guy, but give him an array of 4x4 inch pistol targets at 15-25 yards and he would probably be humbled.
    but to be consistent with John Wick, those 4x4 pistol targets would need to be within 4-6 feet

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I don't think he has ever actually done a match.

Watching that video, it looks like the emphasis is on what they want for a movie, raw speed.

Yes, yes, and yes. More or less my point all along. He's obvious leagues better with a gun than your typical actor type, but until I see scores from a match, or was able to actually inspect his targets, etc, I'm assuming more show than go. Nothing wrong with that either, that's his job and what he's being paid for. I'm just not willing to make the leap his accuracy matches his speed we are seeing. That also does not preclude his kicking my ass in a three gun match.
    Last edited by WillBrink; 02-23-17 at 12:54.
    - Will

General Performance/Fitness Advice for all

www.BrinkZone.com

LE/Mil specific info:

https://brinkzone.com/category/swatleomilitary/

“Those who do not view armed self defense as a basic human right, ignore the mass graves of those who died on their knees at the hands of tyrants.”

Feedback Score
    I didn't find it to be realistic in any sense. John Wick is a jedi, and all the guys he is fighting are storm troopers who can't hit shit, and all wait for their turn to fight him.
    There is a difference between (seemingly) excellent gun handling and realism. The tactics and timing in John Wick was absurd, but Reeves's physical manipulation of the firearms was pretty good, for a mainstream movie production.

And funny that you mentioned Sicario. I loved that film's sense of verisimilitude, but I personally thought the realism was garbage. I went in hoping for Zero Dark Thirty against the drug cartels, but it was more like The Hurt Locker in Ciudad Juárez (though I'm aware that Zero Dark Thirty is hardly a paragon of realism). As a movie, I thought it was pretty decent; unfortunately, poor tactics and gear choices killed it for me (the use of NODs without lasers, no WMLs, side plates being used for front/back, not a single combat shirt in sight, drop legs that were around the knees, no ear pro or eye pro ever used, standing in doorways without using cover and spraying into the room, etc.).
    Last edited by Defaultmp3; 02-23-17 at 14:10.
    Plus ça change, plus c'est la męme chose.

老僧三十年前未參禪時、見山是山、見水是水、及至後夾親見知識、有箇入處、見山不是山、見水不是水、而今得箇體歇處、依然見山秪是山、見水秪是水。

https://www.instagram.com/defaultmp3/

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Guys it's a movie, not anything to take so seriously. A lot of people like the Avenger movies, but none of the tactics or gear makes sense in them either. I enjoyed Sicario, but thought it was lacking in realism too. As for Reeves scores in shooting matches, ect... Why would you care. There are virtually thousands of firearms instructors both military, law enforcement, and concealed carry who refuse to shoot in competitions. But they teach people to shoot every day. Seems like some of you are taking this movie a little too seriously considering the absurdity of firearms use in movies in general throughout the years. I mean John McPhee did a review of Mad Max that he loved it. That movie was rediculous, but entertaining.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567