Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Receiver extension buffer system choice for suppressed 300Blk SBR

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MeanCarbine View Post
    ...or, will having an adjustable GB make the choices moot? Will a standard carbine spring and carbine buffer be just as good?
    Of the three 300blk's I have, none have an adjustable gas block. Two of them are Noveske 10.5"'ers (pistol gas/standard carbine extension and spring, and H2 buffers). The third is 16", and has carbine gas, and the VLTOR A5 extension and A5H0 buffer. (Built primarily for supersonic hunting loads).

All three will run supers or subs, suppressed or unsuppressed.

I think you're overthinking it.

(Though I don't think there's any drawback to the silent/captured spring setup, aside from non-standard parts, but that's also true for the VLTOR A5)

" The shorter than standard carbine action systems are less forgiving than the standard carbine action systems. Going to shorter action systems for this reduces the span of the operational envelope of function compared to the rifle like action system. You can make shorter ones function, but the application becomes more dedicated to more specific combinations."

Though I think the above statement is spot-on for 5.56 's, I'm under the impression that for 300blk, the pistol length gas system is the most "forgiving", particularly when considering subsonic loads. When seeking to use a 300blk in all four configurations (supersonic suppressed/supersonic unsuppressed/subsonic suppressed/subsonic unsuppressed), pistol gas is the default for functionality. The downside to this is that suppressed supersonics are typically slightly over gassed.
    Last edited by MisterHelix; 04-25-17 at 20:03.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MeanCarbine View Post
    I'm building a suppressed 8" 300Blk rifle with a SLR adj. GB and will be shooting mainly subs. Which RE/spring/buffer combo will be the best option to run reliably and provide the smoothest/softest recoil impulse?

1) Standard carbine RE with a David Tubb's Lightweight flat wire buffer spring and H1/2/3 buffer

2) Standard carbine RE with JP Silent Captured Spring

3) A5 RE with either a Vltor/SprinCo green/or Tubb AR-10 flat wire buffer spring with A5H0/1/2 buffer

...or, will having an adjustable GB make the choices moot? Will a standard carbine spring and carbine buffer be just as good?
    How big is the gas port now?

subs in an 8" barrel don't have much excess gas to begin with.

The main issue is getting enough gas vs having too much and needing an AGB to choke it down.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    How big is the gas port now?

subs in an 8" barrel don't have much excess gas to begin with.

The main issue is getting enough gas vs having too much and needing an AGB to choke it down.
    IDK can not find the specs on it (CMMG).

Even suppressed?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterHelix View Post
    Of the three 300blk's I have, none have an adjustable gas block. Two of them are Noveske 10.5"'ers (pistol gas/standard carbine extension and spring, and H2 buffers). The third is 16", and has carbine gas, and the VLTOR A5 extension and A5H0 buffer. (Built primarily for supersonic hunting loads).

All three will run supers or subs, suppressed or unsuppressed.

I think you're overthinking it.

(Though I don't think there's any drawback to the silent/captured spring setup, aside from non-standard parts, but that's also true for the VLTOR A5)

" The shorter than standard carbine action systems are less forgiving than the standard carbine action systems. Going to shorter action systems for this reduces the span of the operational envelope of function compared to the rifle like action system. You can make shorter ones function, but the application becomes more dedicated to more specific combinations."

Though I think the above statement is spot-on for 5.56 's, I'm under the impression that for 300blk, the pistol length gas system is the most "forgiving", particularly when considering subsonic loads. When seeking to use a 300blk in all four configurations (supersonic suppressed/supersonic unsuppressed/subsonic suppressed/subsonic unsuppressed), pistol gas is the default for functionality. The downside to this is that suppressed supersonics are typically slightly over gassed.
    Please do not confuse action system with the gas system.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    Please do not confuse action system with the gas system.
    Right. Sorry, my bad.

Feedback Score
    Tagged for interest. I have sighted in my BCM 9" .300blk using gemtech 187gr subs.......expensive round but I plan to reload for this puppy.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    I think getting a reliable 300BLK all depends on getting the gas right. If your gas port and gas tube length aren't ideal for a wide range of functionality an adjustable gas block might help resolve that. My 9" AAC upper runs in all combinations of suppressed/unsuppressed and sub/super ammo because the gas is tuned right from the factory, although I don't know the gas-port size. I used a standard carbine spring and H2 buffer.

Feedback Score
    While I generally agree to that with that AAC offering, you can better tailor the action for either individual function with a specific action type and spring with buffer for those.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12