Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to reloading: Cleaning Primer Pockets

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

New to reloading: Cleaning Primer Pockets

I just took up reloading. Because I live in an apartment I opted for an ultrasonic brass cleaner instead of a noisy tumbler.

After FL sizing and depriming my cases
    I have been running my brass in the US cleaner for about 60min at 140 degrees Fahrenheit.

Brass comes out looking nice and shiny on the outside but about 80% of the primer pockets are gunked up. I have been cleaning them out with q- tips which works but is a major PITA.

Am I going other the top cleaning out the primer pockets with q-tips?

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    You're using the wrong tool. Get a primer pocket cleaner and clean before you put in the ultra sonic.

Tool here Lee Precision Primer Pocket Cleaner https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SF6QQW..._9C9KybA7MD683

I only clean primer pockets on my precision rifle rounds. For everything else, I just decap and prime.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    I use a primer pocket uniformer something like these. Just a quick spin and the gunk is gone. It won't go into a crimped pocket which is a good indicator it needs to be reamed or swaged.

https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-Primer-P...mer&th=1&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Lyman-Primer-...BNB50MPKPHNG7M

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Thanks guys. I will pick up one of those tools. I am loading for precision to begin with (6.5 Creedmoor) so it sounds like the tool will be helpful.

Another question I have: I lube by cases with Hornady one shot aerosol spray before running them through the FL sizing die. Is it ok to toss the brass with the lube residue on it into the US cleaner?

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Imperial sizing lube or home brew lube (pure lanolin+ 99% alcohol) A little goes a long way.

One shot is pricey. Imperial will last you over a year easy, even shooting lots. Home brew is cheaper and the only thing better than imp.

If your reloading large amounts of brass, you may want to consider stainless media, it rocks.

Feedback Score
    Upgrade to stainless media wet tumbling. Cleans brass better and cleans the pockets completely. Use the US cleaner for gun parts. Win at everything.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Imperial or homebrew are both great, a little goes a long way.

I switched over to this recently and will not be looking back : https://bulletcentral.com/product/sh...-and-die-lube/

Oneshot is great for loading on a progressive but the Dillon lube is better still.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by AssGasOrBrass View Post
    Another question I have: I lube by cases with Hornady one shot aerosol spray before running them through the FL sizing die. Is it ok to toss the brass with the lube residue on it into the US cleaner?
    I use One Shot & an ultrasonic cleaner as well & do exactly what you're asking. There's no issues at all.

I think you'll find your setup fast & efficient. I don't require shiny brass, only clean brass, so when you're done with the US cleaner, it's a quick rinse & set out to air dry. I don't have a ton of time when I'm reloading so messing around with tumblers every prep cycle is wasted time IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by JSantoro View Post
    Stop dicking the dog, please. It's gross.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't even bother cleaning my primer pockets when I load for my 9mm or my AR; I've noticed no difference. When I do clean the pockets I use the RCBS case prep center. I tumble in dry media, so idk if an ultrasonic cleaner necessitates primer pocket cleaning.

Feedback Score
    I use the Lee tool IraqVet1982 linked to for all my rifle rounds, as they get fired in AR's, M1's, M1A's, etc...with floating firing pins to make sure the pockets are all clean and free of junk so I don't get a high primer that could slam fire in these rifles. I am not a high volume reloader, I often load in batch of 100 or so at a time, and the lee tool takes like 5 minutes to do every case in a batch, plus it's simple and cheap. I rarely if ever clean pistol primer pockets.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast