Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: GP100 or 686

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    MY lgs has two new .357 GP100's shipped in at the same time. One has a much smoother action than the other. Having owned a tub full of Ruger handguns, I can say with authority that the "less smooth ones" wear in nicely with shooting. Having screwed up a couple nice handguns with clumsily done action jobs, let me tell all that Flitz polish is the safe way to smooth an action. Applied on a Qtip or patch using elbow grease, Flitz removes roughness. My suggestion is shoot it a lot first.

My criticism of the thread is now I want a GP100 too. I foolishly sold the others.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    look at the GP100 MC

Feedback Score
    Good choice. I've had both and prefer the Ruger.

I prefer their toughness, triggers, quality (compared to current S&W) and stocks. They also seem to take shooting (especially lead) and keep on going whereas a S&W is more likely to gum up and the wagon wheel stop turning. Just been my experience.

The Ruger's are easier to disassemble and work on/replace springs.

And of course, no stupid key lock on the side.

Feedback Score
    I went with the 686, no regrets. Congrats on your new gun.

Feedback Score
    My vote would go to Ruger, have had no experience with S&W's customer service (which is a good thing) but Ruger sent me a brand new gun for one I acquired in a trade that was damaged...which says a lot.

Feedback Score
    Tough choice...get both ! :-)

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Having had examples of both I would pick the GP100. Even though I have a nice example of a 686 snub I just can't get over the stupid lock on the side. I keep considering selling it and getting a Wiley Clapp GP or something from Gemini Customs. I also prefer the ease of cleaning the GP, pop the whole trigger group out and hose it down with Ballistol and you're done.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MStarmer View Post
    Having had examples of both I would pick the GP100. Even though I have a nice example of a 686 snub I just can't get over the stupid lock on the side. I keep considering selling it and getting a Wiley Clapp GP or something from Gemini Customs. I also prefer the ease of cleaning the GP, pop the whole trigger group out and hose it down with Ballistol and you're done.
    Unless you need the money I would keep it, just my opinion. I tried a new model 67 for short time, so poorly assembled that no amount of sight adjustment could zero it. The shop took it back as I refused to accept it even sent back S&W. If you get a good one.... I too, hate the lock but I think it can be removed and plugged.

Feedback Score
    Sorry I'm late to the party. I'm looking at getting a wheel-gun for the first time in 20 years, so I started picking through this part of the forum.

I have a ton of experience with the 686 from back in the day. Always will be one of my favorites. I started as a LEO carrying one of these back in the 80's before we switched t semi-autos. Personally I'd go with the Smith. Just a beautiful and perfectly functional piece. The Ruger is OK, but Ruger has never done anything for me. It's the same as the Sig -vs- HK debate. You really can't go wrong with either.
    U.S. Army vet. -- Retired 25 year LEO.

Feedback Score
    Personally I prefer Smiths over Rugers. I think Ruger beefed up a gun in places that didn't need extra beef, creating a heavier gun that didn't need to be heavier. I've never come across a shot out 686.

Secondly, I think Smith K,L,N triggers are smoother, and have more room for improvement than the ruger design.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast