Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GP100 or 686

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

GP100 or 686

Ok I know this a loaded question... but Im looking to buy a 357 in the near future. Everywhere local had sold out of their used magnum revolvers (outside of snubs) so Im relegated to buying new it seems.

Ive owned a GP100 in the past for a short time. Liked the gun and had no qualms with it. Sold it to fund something else.

Ive owned several K frames and have a decent amount of hands on time with N frame. I have little experience with the L frame guns outside of fondling them at the store.

I can pick up a new GP100 semi locally, not a long drive away, for 600 bucks. They have both stainless and blued. The Smith would be ordered through Budsgunshop for right under 700 bucks. I like the fact that I can get my hands on the GP100 before buying and have the option for a blued model which I like. Though Im not really worried about the 686 being bad when it shows up.

So Im having a hard time deciding between the two. Does anyone have anything that would make you pick oe over the other?
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    How about Ruger's 8-shot 357 Redhawk?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    How about Ruger's 8-shot 357 Redhawk?
    I think they are a cool gun but they 900 bucks from what Ive seen and the extra 200 to 300 bucks just isnt worth it to me. Plus if Im going to buy a N frame sized gun at 900 dollars Im going to buy a Smith N frame.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    I'd highly recommend laying hands on both. I was in the same boat back in the late 90s early 2000. I wound up picking up a 686-3 for a decent price from a buddy who had purchased it as an estate gun. I found the Smith to "feel" better and more streamlined. I've ran hand loads and hot factory loads 180gr through it without issue. I prefer smaller grips and I swapped out the pachmyers it came with to a rubber Hogue grip. The L frame uses K frame grips IIRC. Ruger makes a good gun albeit a little bulkier. I'd also look for reviews from reputable sources on late model S&Ws.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    If buying a newly produced gun, then I would get the GP100. I have several older K and L frame Smiths that I bought in the 1980's an d1990's. But I can't stand the internal lock that S&W insists on putting on their guns.

A 3" GP100 is an excellent revolver and next on my list of revolver purchases.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I just went through this same decision...did the research online, watched some videos, messed with both in the store, shot one of each, albeit not side by side. After a couple months I ended up buying a new GP100 today when I found the right combination locally that I wanted (blued, 6").

I'm personally partial to guns I can see and hold before throwing down hard earned money, so I'd be far more interested in your local Ruger than a newer locking S&W, but that's just me.

Best of luck in the hunt.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Don't get me wrong, the GP100 is a good quality gun, and much like the sp101 it's build like a tank, but to me the 686 is a step above ad would be my personal choice.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Current production 686's would not be my first choice over current production GP100's. If you can find a 686 from the last two generations prior to the introduction of the internal lock (686-2 / 686-3, some 686-4's) they are excellent revolvers and superior to the GP100 of any vintage. They also likely can be found for lower prices than S&W is charging now.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by oregon45 View Post
    Current production 686's would not be my first choice over current production GP100's. If you can find a 686 from the last two generations prior to the introduction of the internal lock (686-2 / 686-3, some 686-4's) they are excellent revolvers and superior to the GP100 of any vintage. They also likely can be found for lower prices than S&W is charging now.
    100% agree.

Feedback Score
    Would like to hear input too. There is a 357 in my future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast