Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GP100 or 686

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

GP100 or 686

Ok I know this a loaded question... but Im looking to buy a 357 in the near future. Everywhere local had sold out of their used magnum revolvers (outside of snubs) so Im relegated to buying new it seems.

Ive owned a GP100 in the past for a short time. Liked the gun and had no qualms with it. Sold it to fund something else.

Ive owned several K frames and have a decent amount of hands on time with N frame. I have little experience with the L frame guns outside of fondling them at the store.

I can pick up a new GP100 semi locally, not a long drive away, for 600 bucks. They have both stainless and blued. The Smith would be ordered through Budsgunshop for right under 700 bucks. I like the fact that I can get my hands on the GP100 before buying and have the option for a blued model which I like. Though Im not really worried about the 686 being bad when it shows up.

So Im having a hard time deciding between the two. Does anyone have anything that would make you pick oe over the other?
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    How about Ruger's 8-shot 357 Redhawk?

Feedback Score
    Would like to hear input too. There is a 357 in my future.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I have 3 older L frame Smiths and love them. Because we have had problems with light firing pin strikes with key lock model 64 Smiths in our armory (yes, we use revolvers as well as Glock 22/23 pistols), I would go with an older L frame or the GP100. As a Ruger armorer, they were rock solid but I'm partial to the old Ruger Service Six revolvers which had slightly better actions. My opinion is that Ruger got the firing pin in the frame issue right and Smith hasn't perfected it.
    Last edited by davidz71; 02-03-17 at 19:35.

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    I own both. I have a 3" blued GP100 in .357, and a 4" 686-5.

This may sound weird, but how big are your hands? If you have a challenge with a longer trigger reach, the Ruger is easier to adapt to. If you have larger hands, I'll recommend a 686.

I think it's easier to find someone to do decent work on a Smith trigger. That being said, after about 2,000 trigger presses in dry practice sessions, my 686 has a very acceptable trigger.

Last year, I did all six of my pistol training classes with a revolver, shooting it double action. That's a fair bit of work, doing 600-800 rounds DAO. The Smith was easier to do that with.

So what will be the purpose of the pistol? Fun range gun? Loaner for people who do not shoot a lot? Trainer?

I would say the Ruger makes a great loaner, especially with the compact grips.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I have fairly large hands.

Purpose will be woods carry, target practice, and possibly light hunting.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    I have fairly large hands.

Purpose will be woods carry, target practice, and possibly light hunting.
    Perhaps a NM Blackhawk? Those 3 criteria fit it well. I have a 686+ I absolutely love, but carry my Blackhawk 90% of the time when hunting.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm a big fan of the Ruger single actions but I want a DA revolver right now.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I recently went through the same same decision process. I was leary of the new Smiths with the key as I have read bad things about it. I have a friend from college who live in another city who shoots IDPA with a revolver. When I asked him about it, he described witnessing another shooter with a Smith that was only a few months old lock up during a stage T a shoot in late 2015 with the key mechanism being the cause. There is a way to deal with that but it adds cost. Add to that the fact that I find the barrel shroud on the new Smiths ugly.

So older Smith vs GP100? Couldn't find an older Smith in nice enough condition so I decided it would be the GP100. I had just about convinced myself to buy a Wiley Clapp edition when my friend the revolver shooter texts me to ask if I want a very lightly used GP100 Match Champion for $530 cash out the door? Drove 4 hours that day to bring it home and have t looked back. I do wish Ruger didn't use the huge, ugly laser engraving on these but I couldn't pass up the deal. Heck, I've decided I like it enough that it's going to get some work done to it next year (too many unfinished projects for this year). While it's at Gemini I'll probably have them get rid of the markings.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Glockster View Post
    How about Ruger's 8-shot 357 Redhawk?
    I think they are a cool gun but they 900 bucks from what Ive seen and the extra 200 to 300 bucks just isnt worth it to me. Plus if Im going to buy a N frame sized gun at 900 dollars Im going to buy a Smith N frame.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast