Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: GP100 or 686

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by anachronism View Post
    I'm surprised the OP hasn't bought something yet. After decades with both a 686 & a GP100, the GP is still awaiting its first issue, and the 686 has been tweaked a few times, and needs a major overhaul. S&W internal parts are surface hardened, whereas Rugers appear to be through hardened. I did the triggers on both guns, and while the Rugers DA trigger pull is a mite longer than the Smiffs, it is at least as smooth as the Smiff, if not a touch smoother. The 686 had a better SA pull from the factory, but the Rugers SA pull cleaned up beautifully. So in the longevity portion of our test, the Ruger wins easily. The 686 is in need of its third hand in roughly 20 years, and the friggin' endshake at the crane and at the cylinder are out again. Both guns live on mid-range loads, and eat the same food. Rugers cast frame is heavier, but uses through pins instead of studs for the hammer & trigger, and that seems to be a big advantage as well. Smiths still using the same basic design they came out with in the late 1800s, and Rugers design is designed using modern materials made in modern factories. Nostalgia only carries you so far in a results driven world.
    Thanks for the detailed & knowledgeable review.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm surprised the OP hasn't bought something yet. After decades with both a 686 & a GP100, the GP is still awaiting its first issue, and the 686 has been tweaked a few times, and needs a major overhaul. S&W internal parts are surface hardened, whereas Rugers appear to be through hardened. I did the triggers on both guns, and while the Rugers DA trigger pull is a mite longer than the Smiffs, it is at least as smooth as the Smiff, if not a touch smoother. The 686 had a better SA pull from the factory, but the Rugers SA pull cleaned up beautifully. So in the longevity portion of our test, the Ruger wins easily. The 686 is in need of its third hand in roughly 20 years, and the friggin' endshake at the crane and at the cylinder are out again. Both guns live on mid-range loads, and eat the same food. Rugers cast frame is heavier, but uses through pins instead of studs for the hammer & trigger, and that seems to be a big advantage as well. Smiths still using the same basic design they came out with in the late 1800s, and Rugers design is designed using modern materials made in modern factories. Nostalgia only carries you so far in a results driven world.
    Per post #23 I bought the GP100. Actually traded it off for a Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt 45 ACP convertible model recently. It was a good gun but I bought it for the "cheap" 38s for when I didnt need magnum loads. Found out 38 Special was the same price as 45 ACP and I have a soft spot for big bore revolvers and 45 Colt specifically.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Per post #23 I bought the GP100. Actually traded it off for a Ruger Blackhawk 45 Colt 45 ACP convertible model recently. It was a good gun but I bought it for the "cheap" 38s for when I didnt need magnum loads. Found out 38 Special was the same price as 45 ACP and I have a soft spot for big bore revolvers and 45 Colt specifically.
    Sounds like a good solution. I have a thing for that gun too, the modern cowboy six shooter.
    * Just Your Average Jewish Redneck *
    Participant in Year-Long Gun Fighting Training Program
    Competition Shooter in NRA, CMP, IDPA
    Past part-time sales at national firearms retailer, Never came close to breaking even!

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    GP100

Feedback Score
    Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I have a personal preference for SMith revolvers but love me some GP100's.

The factory triggers on Smiths are smoother than the Rugers but Google Iowegan's Book of Knowledge and even you can smooth out a Ruger to rival that of a Smith.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    A bit late to this party but...

I have a soft spot for the 686. It is a great all around revolver.
    That said, I love a good ol' GP 100 3" for shooting some crazy hot .357.

Like Buffalo Bore and such.

I have large hand and like the GP100 grip. I see you sold it for a .45 Redhawk. I like Redhawks too but I would have kept a GP100. I dont mind being a bit rough with one but I sorta baby a Smith. Not crazy but I play it safe. A GP100, pssshh....Thats like one I'll shoot anything through.

Accuracy isnt bad and the trigger isnt great but it does what I want.

Its also ugly which, I kinda like.

Feedback Score
    Easily the gp100 for reasons already mentioned.

Although if it was going to be a sidearm for the outdoor I'd prefer a 4 inch sp101. It's a little lighter and thinner being a five shot but still a tough gun with upgradable trigger and sights.

Feedback Score
    Rugers cast frame is heavier, but uses through pins instead of studs for the hammer & trigger, and that seems to be a big advantage as well.
    Funny, I was just reading the 5th edition Kuhnausen Manual and he had real issues with the Smith & Wesson Radiused studs. He also had some interesting comments and photos on MIM.
    Last edited by cd228; 10-29-17 at 06:58.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    I have a USFA SAA in .45 Colt. Love it. That being said, I reload so making .38 Spl, and .45 Colt is pretty much a wash in cost, although the .45 bullets are a little more expensive of course, but not enough to matter. Blackhawks are good guns. I had one in .357 mag, but of course I shot .38 Spl mostly.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast