Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: GP100 or 686

Feedback Score
    I'd highly recommend laying hands on both. I was in the same boat back in the late 90s early 2000. I wound up picking up a 686-3 for a decent price from a buddy who had purchased it as an estate gun. I found the Smith to "feel" better and more streamlined. I've ran hand loads and hot factory loads 180gr through it without issue. I prefer smaller grips and I swapped out the pachmyers it came with to a rubber Hogue grip. The L frame uses K frame grips IIRC. Ruger makes a good gun albeit a little bulkier. I'd also look for reviews from reputable sources on late model S&Ws.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    If buying a newly produced gun, then I would get the GP100. I have several older K and L frame Smiths that I bought in the 1980's an d1990's. But I can't stand the internal lock that S&W insists on putting on their guns.

A 3" GP100 is an excellent revolver and next on my list of revolver purchases.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    I just went through this same decision...did the research online, watched some videos, messed with both in the store, shot one of each, albeit not side by side. After a couple months I ended up buying a new GP100 today when I found the right combination locally that I wanted (blued, 6").

I'm personally partial to guns I can see and hold before throwing down hard earned money, so I'd be far more interested in your local Ruger than a newer locking S&W, but that's just me.

Best of luck in the hunt.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So I just read up on the new model S&W 66 Combat Magnum. Its a K frame 357 that they redesigned to beef up the forcing cone. Very intriguing as Ive had a few K frames before and really liked them.

Only thing that gives me hesitation is it uses the 2 piece barrel. I've read a lot of negativity about it but I haven't seen any actual data or complaints based on real experiences. What do you guys think?
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I got myself an older 686-4 for Christmas and I love it. The SA trigger is amazing, and the DA is very smooth as well. I came very close to buying a GP-100 Match Champion or a S&W 66-8 though.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    If you have big hands, I would lean toward the 686 over the GP100. If you have average size hands and are going to shoot a steady diet of .357 ammunition, I would buy the GP100. If you have average size hands, will primarily shoot .38 Spl and rarely shoot .357, I would lean toward a K Frame S&W.

Feedback Score
    Here is where the L frame shines. It has the same size grip frame as the L frame but can utilize the 357 magnum should you ever want to use it for hunting midsize game. Either way, see which is most comfortable in your hand and then make a choice. Two of my 686 revolvers are fitted with Hogue rubber grips with the finger grooves and the third is a snub with the Hogue round butt rubber grips. They all fit my hand to a T.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've owned a few of each and liked them all. The Smith will shoot smaller groups out of the box and its action lends itself to being tuned. If you're a serious double action shooter, the Smith is for you. The two are equal in strength. The Smith has a better trade or resale value. Smith and Wesson has a custom shop for the very particular owner, and its prices are reasonable. But both are nice. The guy who owns one is not likely to sell it to buy the other. Either will serve well for hunting, defense, or wandering around in field or stream.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I've competed with my K and L frame Smiths, I love them for their accuracy and smoothness. But I wouldn't hesitate to get the Ruger Match Champion. The new Colt Cobra and Smith M66 with the 2.75 barrel look good too.

Feedback Score
    I would go for a third option and go for Ruger Security 6 and then get a Python barrel on it with an action job.

I have a Davis company Cougar from back in the day and it has the best action of any revolver I have ever owned. I have had model 19's, 66,686 and nothing was as good as the Cougar. Mine has had thousands of full bore loads through it and it is as good as new.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast