Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: GP100 or 686

Feedback Score
    I was trying to make the same decision about 2 years ago and ended up with a ruger GP100 match champion with 4.2" barrel. I have older s&w N- frame 629 and colt 38's, but I really like my gp100 match champion. Trigger is better than the stock gp100. It almost has more of a colt feel to it, being very smooth and consistent breaking point. Just another option with price in between a standard gp100 and a 686+. I can't say it's better or worse than a 686, but I like having something different that everyone else doesn't have.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Local store I found, prices per their website:

GP100. $609
    GP100 Match Champion. $712
    S&W 66 (new model). $699
    S&W 686. $676
    S&W 686P. $699

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Picked up a used GP100 today from Cabelas. Went to go sell them an ld rifle I had and they had a 4 inch stainless model listed for 450 bucks. With the tax credit for the trade in and a military discount I got the gun, a box of 50 357 magnums, and a box of 50 38 specials for 480 out the door.

Only thing I need to do is switch out the front sight to a metal one with the orange insert on the ramp. The previous owner put on a white front sight. Really stands out when looking down the sight but it's straight up fugly. Luckily the new front sight is like 15 dollars.
    C co 1/30th Infantry Regiment
    3rd Brigade 3rd Infantry Division
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    46 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Picked up a used GP100 today from Cabelas. Went to go sell them an ld rifle I had and they had a 4 inch stainless model listed for 450 bucks. With the tax credit for the trade in and a military discount I got the gun, a box of 50 357 magnums, and a box of 50 38 specials for 480 out the door.

Only thing I need to do is switch out the front sight to a metal one with the orange insert on the ramp. The previous owner put on a white front sight. Really stands out when looking down the sight but it's straight up fugly. Luckily the new front sight is like 15 dollars.
    Orange nail polish is your friend. At Wally World, they have a color called "Traffic Cone Orange" for three bucks.

Feedback Score
    I've owned both and enjoyed them both. But with all things being equal, I would lean towards the S&W 686 for the simple reason that it was more comfortable. Now my 686 had Pachmyer grips while the GP100 had the factory rubber with wood inlay grips. Honestly, no matter what you choose, you can't go wrong. Both are great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    C-grunt:

Have fun with your GP100. I have an older (pre-lock) 686 and a GP100, both 4". I like both, and would recommend either. I tend to go with the conventional wisdom that S&W has slightly smoother triggers, and the Rugers are a bit tougher (both in all around hard use, and for higher pressure loads).

You'll have fun.
    'That whole effort was held together by sweat, shame, and a tiny bit of pride.' -- Son of Commander Paisley

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by SeriousStudent View Post
    Orange nail polish is your friend. At Wally World, they have a color called "Traffic Cone Orange" for three bucks.
    If it were a normal front sight Id do just that. But this is an all white polymer front sight, the entire assembly. Ive never seen anything like it. The sight picture on it is actually pretty good but Im definitely replacing it for a metal sight. Plus the replacement sight is 15 bucks.
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:
    No dude is going to get shot in the chest at 300 yards and look down and say "What is that, a 3 MOA group?"

Feedback Score
    Congrats on the new roscoe. How is the trigger pull on the new to you GP100?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Trigger is actually pretty nice. Very smooth DA with a small "ledge" right before the break. Very easy to stage your shot in DA if you are trying to be accurate. Single action is light and crisp like you would expect. Haven't shot it yet thought so we'll have to see how she shoots, hopefully soon.
    2002-2006
    OIF 1 and 3

IraqGunz:

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by C-grunt View Post
    Trigger is actually pretty nice. Very smooth DA with a small "ledge" right before the break. Very easy to stage your shot in DA if you are trying to be accurate. Single action is light and crisp like you would expect. Haven't shot it yet thought so we'll have to see how she shoots, hopefully soon.
    Good to hear. Have fun with your new wheel gun.
    Last edited by cd228; 02-11-17 at 05:15.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast