Thread: Form 1 Cancellation

Feedback Score

Form 1 Cancellation

I purchased a Sig MCX with the hopes of buying the 9" 300 Blackout barrel. Given all the misinformation and delays on Sig's part, I am now wondering if I should cancel my Form 1. What is the process like and will I be able to get a refund check for the $200 application fee? I have read conflicting information about getting money back and not, so I figured I'd see what y'all had to say. If I am able to cancel and get the money back, how long does the process typically take?

The Honey Badger by Q is appealing and it might make more sense to just put the money I would have spent on the MCX 300 Blackout kit towards a new gun. Any thoughts?

Feedback Score
    The instructions are right on the form. You either withdraw if it hasn't been approved, or cancel if it's been approved but you've yet to make the firearm.

Withdrawal of Application. The application may be withdrawn prior to approval by submission of a written request to the Chief, NFA Branch, 244 Needy Road, Martinsburg, WV 25405 from the maker. The NFA Branch will arrange for a refund of any tax paid

Cancellation of Approved Application. An approved application may be cancelled only if the firearm had not been made or modified. The maker must return the approved application with original tax stamp affixed with a written request for cancellation, citing the need and that the making of the firearm did not take place. The NFA Branch will arrange for a refund of any tax paid.

If it was an eForm still pending, you might be able to make the request using Ask The Experts.
    Last edited by BigWaylon; 02-04-17 at 11:13.

Feedback Score
    Well, probably would have made sense for me to look at the form more closely. Thanks.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    I had to do a cancellation because I submitted some incorrect information. I did the "Ask the Experts" and they told me what to do and which one I wanted to cancel and he canceled it for me. Mr. Gary Schaible squared me away. Asked what control numbers I wanted to cancel, I provided that info and he took care of it and later received my refund. So that could be an option if you are unsure of what to do. I had multiple Form 1's in and it was still kind of new to me so I was thankful for his help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Learned something just now...and when searching for confirmation I came across this head...so I'll bump it to add the info.

The request to cancel an approved stamp and get the $200 refund does indeed have an expiration date. It must be done within 3 years of when you paid the tax (not 3 years from when it was approved).

Both the Form 1 and the NFA Handbook mention the process...but neither give the timeframe. The regulation itself clearly states the 3 year limitation.
    Last edited by BigWaylon; 09-17-17 at 22:21.