Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do indoors

Feedback Score

What to do indoors

I live in town and don't get to do a lot of live fire training in kit. So I do a lot of dry fire training. My question is what can I do for drills in the basement or garage with minimal space required?
    Pic of kit added because I can sorry it sucks.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You can do a lot of stuff - I took the spring and follower from an old tango down magazine to practice immediate action. Drill yourself in static, on the move, and moving to cover to perform.

I also practice reloads - I use the terms emergency (out-of-battery/locked back), speed (in-battery), and retention. Emergency and speed come from the belt, retention from the chest rig if you have one, as you do. Static, moving, and move to cover then executing the reload.

I have a couple of boxes of harbor freight floor cushions down in the area I practice.

You can also do sling work - transitioning to pistol, transitioning strong side to weak side. I spend time practicing what I call a covered handcuffing kata - verbalization to ensure cover, emergency unloading, then manipulating the sling and rifle to orient the rifle muzzle down across my back. My thought on this are if you and your back up have both deployed with rifles, someone with a rifle is going to be handcuffing while the other guy covers. I teach the unload because the safety on the AR can be disengaged by catching on gear and there is a distinct possibility of an ND during the handcuffing process.

You should also practice presentations from the traditional low ready and muzzle elevated ready - quickly centering the front sight in the aperture then pressing the shot. I use a CE PPII shot timer set for par time and random start - you won't get an accurate shot time, but you will know if you did it under par. I also drill offsets with a full sized IPSC target and then transitioning from offset to POA/POI on two different sized targets.

Back to immediate action, I do a couple drills each session, I do remedial less frequently.

Just what I do in the garage.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Atleast 3 times a week I throw my shit on and practice sling work, transitions, movement, reloads and remedial action drills; general weapon manipulation stuff.

I finish off with about fifteen min of dry fire/drawing from concealment. Overall I probably spend about three hours a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    One option is the LASR computer software and a SIRT replacement AR bolt (works on single stage triggers only). Add a SIRT pistol and you've got an indoor range and a good training setup only minus recoil. With the replacement bolt you're training with your AR, trigger, etc not a substitute. The pistols are standalone as is but still have magazines to change.

http://lasrapp.com/

https://nextleveltraining.com/

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by fyrediver View Post
    One option is the LASR computer software and a SIRT replacement AR bolt (works on single stage triggers only). Add a SIRT pistol and you've got an indoor range and a good training setup only minus recoil. With the replacement bolt you're training with your AR, trigger, etc not a substitute. The pistols are standalone as is but still have magazines to change.

http://lasrapp.com/

https://nextleveltraining.com/
    I would love some sirt stuff unfortunately I can't afford it at this time hopefully taxes will see me with at least a pistol.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm not sure how this will be received but I do a lot of Airsoft/milsim.

I use gas guns for the realistic manual of arms, I set up bb traps as potential threats around the house and "clear house".

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I've had two pellet pistols for decades now. High quality, and accurate guns, a Webley Tempest, and a Beeman P1. I use them for training in my basement. Airsoft would also be good as others have suggested. I also have a pellet rifle, semi auto, CO2 I use.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I watch TV while shooting snapcaps (usu. w/ revolver or DA/SA auto).

Seems mercurial but I have an illuminated backdrop and can focus on front sight front sight front sight.

Also everything 26 inf is good advice but even when I was on profile and could shoot no life ammo or anything; I always had the TV spiel.

Not my original idea, I was given that tidbit by a PPC Jedi. But FWIW it has done wonders for my trigger control.

Anyone is free to disagree but trigger control, I have found, is a fine motor skill that lends itself to sloppiness and jerking if not kept up and in discipline.

Tactics is academic, movement is based on physical fitness, and sight alignment is not hard as with current optics and sights most guns aim themselves, but if you get lazy, lose finger strength, and lose trigger management discipline; then you will start jerking or messing up your follow through and that is such fine, conscious motorskill that you have to constantly keep up with it.

JME
    YMMV

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Not what you asked (sorry), but are there any USPSA rifle matches near you? If so, run a match every few months in full kit. You'll get more out of live fire under the clock to shake out any issues you might not have foreseen dry firing.

Feedback Score
    I often carry a bluegun at home and draw and shoot the bad guys on tv. or randomly access from whatever strange position I may be in. good way to shake out your carry set up.

do you workout? if you have spare time- getting more fit will extend your life longer than tactical training.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast