Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muzzle Flash from ported/comp'ed pistols

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Muzzle Flash from ported/comp'ed pistols

Here's a blog entry I hammered out about ported/comp'ed handguns being shot at night:

Blinded by the light; er....flash. Or is that an urban myth found in the shooting community? For as long as people have decided to try to kill each other; the smart members among have always sought ways to make ourselves better. This desire to be better has led to better techniques and improved technology. One area of handguns where we are seeing new advancements is that of compensators, and to a lesser extent porting, on duty/carry weapons. Porting has been present in the community for a long time but you are just now starting to see it popping up on more and more guns that are geared towards the self-protection community. Two of the most notable are the “C” variant Glocks which seem to be coming out of nowhere and the ported versions of the Smith and Wesson Shield. When it comes to compensators; they have been a mainstay in the competitive shooting world but have been virtually unseen since the 80s on carry guns until the “Roland Special” became insanely popular. For the un-initiated, the Roland Special is basically a Glock 19 with a KKM compensator on a threaded barrel and a red dot side milled into the slide. While most everyone admits that porting and compensators can aid a shooter in keeping the gun on target better during strings of fire; most have written off the use of these items because, according to some, “they’ll blind you as soon as you shoot them in the streets at night.” In short; “it’ll get you killed in da skreets!” So; will it? Will compensated and/or ported guns blind you when you shoot them at night? Today we’re going to try to shed some light on that very topic.

I never really thought of the issue of the flash from my pistol causing problems with my night vision until sometime around 2006 and I was in a class with Ken Hackathorn. Ken brought up the topic before we started the night shooting block of the class and we concluded this portion by running small drill with our carry ammo. I was using 147gr (mm Winchester Ranger at the time (and still do) and there wasn’t really an issue for me. I would do this drill years later with one of our classes and being surprised at how bad Remington Golden Saber was. The class was so bad from it, I was unable to see a target that was standing 10 yards away after firing my 2nd round. I literally had to stop for a second and regain some degree of night vision before I continue shooting. Flash is something I have kept in the back of mind ever since that class with Ken. With this experience floating around in the back of my head, I was interested to see how students’ night vision was going to be ruined when I learned that 2 students attending our most recent Low Light Handgun class were planning to use compensated and ported guns.

One of the two guns being used in the class was a Glock 24C. This gun, much like the 17L, is a .40 beast with a barrel that measures approximately 6”. The primary thing I noticed with this gun at night was the very distinct ‘V” pattern of the flash coming from the ports in the barrel. What is crazy is that while the “V” was noticeable when I caught glimpses of it out of the corner of my eye, the flash never bothered my night vision. In fact, the flash from the ports didn’t even seem that bright overall. Here is what the flash looked like during the night fire:

If you pay close attention to the photo, you can see the right arm of the “V” in the photo. The shooter of the gun, and everyone around him, stated that the porting did not bother them or hinder their shooting.

Next up was a Glock 19 with a KKM barrel and compensator. As I mentioned above, comps are the new hotness with carry guns and there are a million currently hitting the market. The KKM compensator happens to be one of the older designs around is typically the benchmark everything is measured against. Much like with the 24C, the flash off the KKM comp didn’t bother the shooter, me, or any of the surrounding students. In fact, the flash from the KKM comp wasn’t even eye catching like that from the Glock. Heres an example of the flash from the KKM:

You might be wondering what was the worst ammo on the line that night. The award winner for that was some Fioochi 9mm FMJ rounds being used. Luckily, we didn’t have to deal with it too much since the ammo was a complete dog turd and caused non-stop malfunctions in the student’s Gen 4 Glock 19. When the gun was working, there were some nice fireballs rolling out. And how about the worst that I’ve ever captured on film? That would belong to this federal agent who happened to be using a Sig chambered in 357 Sig:

This dude’s gun has so much flash; other students would typically wait until he shot and then use his muzzle flash to illuminate their targets and then they would shoot. It was BAAADDDDDDDDDDD.

In closing let me say this. Flash from pistols with porting and comps is highly overrated. I wouldn’t have a problem using a pistol with a compensator or porting (though I prefer the comp) for duty or personal protection. However, don’t just take my word for it. If you want one, make sure you try it with your carry ammo so you can make sure you aren’t going to experience flash like I saw with the Golden Saber rounds or the mega fireball shown above with the Sig.

Feedback Score
    Thanks for the writeup. I've assumed the comp would be better, since it directs the flash to the side, while the ports put the flash in line of sight. No experience with either yet, so I appreciate the info.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Thanks for the write up.

I had a G23C several years ago that practically glowed at night with cheap range ammo but was virtually unnoticeable with defensive ammo. I carried it for a bit during my .40 phase without concern (and sold it for more than I paid new...people seem to love the compensated ones).

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This mirrors what I've seen with my G17C. The flash is so quick, I haven't ever had it be "blinding" at all. I agree that the issue is largely overstated. That's assuming newer loads with lower flash powers.

Feedback Score
    Was any shooting done from any type of retention position? Another often quoted mantra is that shooting a comped pistol from any type of retention position can cause injury to the shooter. Prior to buying a Shield PC, as a backup to my Shield 9, I tried to do a bit of research. Everyone was saying that having to shoot from a position of retention could cause injury to the shooter. Of course when questioned about their experience testing this, none had. I located one person who stated they had done it and it was not a issue.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    An officer from one of our smaller agencies out west set one off with his hand over the comp I do not know what he was doing to fire with his hand in that position. He was injured, IIRC split skin and flash burns. We had pictures at work, I remember it did not seem too serious - I know he wasn't permanently disabled.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    An officer from one of our smaller agencies out west set one off with his hand over the comp I do not know what he was doing to fire with his hand in that position. He was injured, IIRC split skin and flash burns. We had pictures at work, I remember it did not seem too serious - I know he wasn't permanently disabled.
    Pretty sure if you cupped your hand above the muzzle of any gun, your hand would be burned.

I think the injury question comes from the comp blowing debris up towards a shooters face. The side ports in theory could end up being pointed towards your face if yo angle the slide away from your body. No idea if it's true or not.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Keep in mind the intended configuration of the "RS" gun includes an X300U as well, which should help mitigate that flash in a way.

Feedback Score
    Here's my experience with a ported SA "V10" that I used to have. I shot it normally for about a year, and the pistol ran fine. I finally used it in an IDPA match, and one of the stages required shooting from retention. In IDPA, any part of your forearm touching your side is acceptable. I had been trained to put my wrist against my rib cage and roll the pistol slightly outboard to avoid a malfunction from clothing. When I fired the V10 in that position, it shaved a piece of the copper jacketing off (much like revolvers are capable of). The piece came up and hit my cheek, went behind my eye pro, off my eyebrow and bounced off the brim of my baseball cap. It came a hair's breadth from blinding me in that eye.

So, while it may be a one in a million thing, I will never use a ported or comped pistol for defensive use. It's not worth the risk.
    "Guns are like neurosurgeons. When you need one, you need one badly."

Feedback Score
    Damn that's a story. Thanks for sharing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast