Thread: Drills for a beginner

Feedback Score

Drills for a beginner

Hey guys Im lookin for some good practice drills to do at home with my carbine and pistol. I'm relatively new to drilling, right now I practice facing square to a target in my basement and bringing the rifle up slowly while flipping from safe to fire, dry firing, racking the handle, and dropping down while flipping back to safety on. Same with the pistol. is there anything else I can work on? I don't have web gear just a holster and sling.
    • Remington M700p .308
    • Colt M4 Carbine .556
    • Henry Big Boy .45 Colt
    • M&P Shield9

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    If you like reading I would recommend Green Eyes and Black Rifles by Kyle Lamb SGM (Ret) until you can get into a basic carbine class. He also has a couple videos that are pretty good and cover some basics. P-Mac also has a goods intro carbine video. "TAPS"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You can set most of these up in your backyard (depending on how your neighbors would react) or at close distances in your house. Apply your fundamentals, and dry-fire the heck out of it. Nothing beats recoil, but dry-firing is invaluable.

ETA: check out the "favorite drills" sticky in the subforum.
    Last edited by echo5whiskey; 02-05-17 at 20:19. Reason: left out information
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    I checked out some of Lambs videos earlier, pretty good stuff I think. I would like to order his book as well. I looked at a few carbine classes online just need too save up some money for it, I feel it's important too learn how to use the rifle properly.

• Remington M700p .308
    • Colt M4 Carbine .556
    • Henry Big Boy .45 Colt
    • M&P Shield9

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    For pistol work (some applicable to rifle), head over to pistol-training.com. They have a huge selection of drills, targets, and explanations/instructions for each one. It's a phenomenal site and very beneficial to a new shooter.

Feedback Score
    Thank ya I'll give it a look, anyone have any info on a good carbine course too take in Ohio?

• Remington M700p .308
    • Colt M4 Carbine .556
    • Henry Big Boy .45 Colt
    • M&P Shield9

Feedback Score
    I think this is a great question.

Life is busy, and none of us get to the range as much as we would like. I try and compound my time every chance I get. My wife and I both need to decompress in the evenings a little. 3 boys 7 and under, 2 dogs and we own a small business, so you know.

I learned years ago that while watching some tv after the kids go to bed is relaxing, it's just such a waste of time. It can be a good time to stretch out, do some light shadow boxing, bump in and out, work angles and head movement, lay my mats out and work some grappling movement, that kind of thing.

Could do the same for weapons manipulation. Dry fire drills, practice with the sling, changing strong side to weak side, work on your draw.

I would love to see some experienced members put a 30 minute "home practice routine" together for pistol and carbine that could be done during an episode of the walking dead.
    Last edited by Cazwell; 02-20-17 at 12:44.

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrillar67 View Post
    I checked out some of Lambs videos earlier, pretty good stuff I think. I would like to order his book as well. I looked at a few carbine classes online just need too save up some money for it, I feel it's important too learn how to use the rifle properly.

I have used this analogy before. "I basically taught myself how to snow ski. I skied for 8 years before I had an opportunity or rather the realization hit me that I needed some instruction. I could ski, but it was more of a chaos in motion hauling ass than it was the graceful serpentine type of skiing you see others on the slopes doing. So I had the opportunity to spend some time with one of the best ski instructors in the country. (The guy who taught my wife) and he spent more time "un-teaching" me than he did teaching." I can only imagine how much more I would have gained from his instruction had he not had to go though this un-learning process with me."
    Laying a solid foundation of fundamentals is as important as any aspect of your carbine training. I think you know this, I just wanted to affirm that you are headed in the right direction if this is your thought process. I think Green Eyes book will give you some good instruction. I would practice "dry" any opportunity you have. Dry firing isn't as good as live fire but it is an invaluable tool. That way when you are able to attend your first carbine class you've already knocked out your "homework".

"Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    If this is a thing for you, you probably want to take a well vetted, credentialed training course.

99% of anything you would need is simply hardcore fundamentals. "Self Teaching" can lead to misinterpretation and other slightly bad habits that will just exaggerate under true stress.

Actual fights are a bit more fluid. It's not enough to go through the physical movements but understand why you are doing what you are doing.

Sometimes you can't square off, sometimes you shouldn't re-safety your weapon, and other times more you shouldn't even take your finger off the trigger.

You can read several different books and watch several different videos but what you really need is someone there in 3D who will actively correct you.

JMO
    YMMV