Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Hills 69 Grain Match Ammo Propellant

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Black Hills 69 Grain Match Ammo Propellant

Does anyone know what propellant is used in the Black Hills 69 grain match ammo?

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    Tagging for interest. As a side note, if I could have an unlimited supply of anything, it'd be the 69 grain SMK.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Tagging for interest.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by taekwondopreacher View Post
    Tagging for interest. As a side note, if I could have an unlimited supply of anything, it'd be the 69 grain SMK.
    Quote Originally Posted by RustyKnifeUSMC View Post
    Tagging for interest.
    Please don't "tag" threads at M4C. Under "thread tools", click "subscribe to this thread" and follow the prompts.

And if you like the BHA .223 69 SMK, try the 5.56 69gr TMK.
    2012 National Zumba Endurance Champion
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    If you are trying to duplicate it, it's tough as ammunition manufacturers tend to buy large lots of bulk powder and adjust weights accordingly whereas blended canister powders are what you will find on the shelf.

I can't speak to BHA's 69 gr, but TAC is the closest equivalent to what they were using in the 77gr 262. Charge weights even line up.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgrs View Post
    If you are trying to duplicate it, it's tough as ammunition manufacturers tend to buy large lots of bulk powder and adjust weights accordingly whereas blended canister powders are what you will find on the shelf.

I can't speak to BHA's 69 gr, but TAC is the closest equivalent to what they were using in the 77gr 262. Charge weights even line up.
    Yep, I'm aware that ammo manufacturers most frequently use bulk propellant that does not exactly match the energy content of cannister grade propellant. I want to know what propellant they use so I can match the burn rate. I have found that I can adjust the propellant charge to get the MV I want but if I don't use the right propellant, the burn rate is different and that can affect the barrel harmonics and shift the POI. Seems AR type rifles are a bit more sensitive to that phenomenon than many other rifles. I, too, figured that they might be using TAC propellant. I've loaded up some ammo using TAC and 69 grain Sierra MK projectiles that I hope is a clone of the BH's 69 grain 5.56mm match ammo but I haven't had a chance to test it yet. Maybe when it warms up a bit.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    If I were trying to duplicate that round, I'd be using CFE or TAC. Run the BH load and your load over a chrono. I can't imagine either of those powders giving you poor results.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    JP enterprises has a thread with charge weights for either of those two powders and that bullet. I'll have to find the link later.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Gentlemen, What I need to know is the exact type of propellant used in the BH's 5.56mm 69 grain match ammo. I want to load an exact clone - not one that is close. Experience has taught me that if you want an exact clone you must use the same type of propellant. If not, the pressure time curve is not the same and this can affect barrel harmonics. Also, the temperature affects on the propellant can be different. I know that BH's uses TAC propellant in their Mk 262 77 grain ammo. I assume that this is what they use in the 69 grain ammo but I do not know for sure.
    Last edited by rickgman; 02-11-17 at 22:16.

Feedback Score
    63 (100%)
    I'm not sure if that exact data or even powder is available. Even if we could find out the exact powder, there is a good chance that it will be a blend of powders made especially for the manufacturer, to that specific manufacturer's specs. I've read before of powders being blended in this manner to help with consistency over the 10's of thousands of rounds produced, and to get the best powder/bullet/primer combination available for yhe intended load at its price point. I have had the fortune of talking with Jeff Hoffman in person, but we spent the time discussing 5.56 bullets and the 300 Win Mag's capabilities. I wish you luck on this endeavor, and would be interested in anything you happen to learn.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast