Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mean Rounds Between Stoppages for Colt 6920?

Feedback Score

Mean Rounds Between Stoppages for Colt 6920?

Does anyone have any data on the typical amount of ammo you can expect to get through a properly-maintained and cleaned Colt 6920 without a stoppage? Assuming regular cleaning has been performed.

The Crane tests of Mid Length vs Carbine show the carbine having 836 Mean Rounds Between Failures in ambient temperates, which seems very low to the point of being unacceptable. The Mid Length performed better, but still had a failure averaged every 1,993 rounds. I've seen where the Army supposedly said in 2009 that the M4 was having over 3,000 rounds between stoppages. This doesn't make sense. I suppose the M855A1 used in the Crane test has something to do with it, but using regular M855 or M193, how many rounds between failures do you consider acceptable and what kind of number have you seen or are aware of in government testing (or even nongovernment testing)?

Personally, I think an AR should be able to go at least 2000 rounds between stoppages (again, assuming regular, proper cleaning intervals). I'm wondering if my Colt 6920 is capable of this.

Does anyone have any data on this?
    Last edited by SouthwestAviator; 11-11-18 at 14:08.

Feedback Score
    16” 6920s are seriously overgassed

Unsuppressed especially shouldn’t have any issues running a good bit before a stoppage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    6920s aren't overgassed by any means. If you have good mags, in-spec ammo, and a good preventive maintenance plan, there's no reason it should ever malfunction.

I had a 6920 cut to 14.7" and it went over 15K with a couple of double feeds due to a wore out magazine. Had I rotated out that set of mags it wouldn't have stopped once.

Feedback Score
    “Overgassed” is the new “low bore axis” I do believe. As long as your gun is assembled correctly, moderately clean, well lubricated, and using quality magazines & ammunition, it will run as well as it is capable of running. If you encounter a problem, document it & address it. Otherwise I wouldn’t worry about it.

Feedback Score
    It seems like, to some people here, "overgassed" is anything that gets more gas than it takes to barely cycle the action with full power 5.56 ammo in ideal, picture perfect conditions...

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthwestAviator View Post
    Does anyone have any data on the typical amount of ammo you can expect to get through a properly-maintained and cleaned Colt 6920 without a stoppage? Assuming regular cleaning has been performed.

The Crane tests of Mid Length vs Carbine show the carbine having 836 Mean Rounds Between Failures in ambient temperates, which seems very low to the point of being unacceptable. The Mid Length performed better, but still had a failure averaged every 1,993 rounds. I've seen where the Army supposedly said in 2009 that the M4 was having over 3,000 rounds between stoppages. This doesn't make sense. I suppose the M855A1 used in the Crane test has something to do with it, but using regular M855 or M193, how many rounds between failures do you consider acceptable and what kind of number have you seen or are aware of in government testing (or even nongovernment testing)?

Personally, I think an AR should be able to go at least 2000 rounds between stoppages (again, assuming regular, proper cleaning intervals). I'm wondering if my Colt 6920 is capable of this.

Does anyone have any data on this?
    The Army tested all of the 5.56mm weapons with M855A1 ammunition in 2016, for the M4-types the reliability were:

M4A1 (new) - MRBS: 3592; MRBEFF: 6076
    M4A1 (rebuilt) - MRBS: 3671; MRBEFF: 5758

In order to make a good comparison, on would need to know how many weapons were used, how many rounds per gun, cleaning schedule, rate of fire, magazine type.

The 2016 Army test used 6 new M4s, three Colt, three FN, six M4A1 PIPs, and six rebuilt M4A1, fired 6000 round through each gun as follows: four 30 round magazines between cooling, magazines one and three were semi-auto at 1 RPM, magazines 2 and 4 were full auto in 3 to 5 round bursts at 5 second intervals. After 600 rounds - wipe and lube, after 1200 rounds - disassembled, cleaned and measured. They used the Army's new blue follower "Enhanced" magazines.

What were the Navy's test criteria?

Feedback Score
    My 6920 was bending brass off the deflector when suppressed with a sprinco blue and H2 buffet . Had it cut down to a 13.7 and just run it “loud”

That’s what I call overgassed

Generally I tune them so without a can it ejects at 230-300 o’clock so it puts it at 130-200 when suppressed

The point of this post was overgassed wears parts faster...not enough gas will cause issues when dirty.

If the guns tuned right it’ll run without issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Feedback Score
    The Army tested all of the 5.56mm weapons with M855A1 ammunition in 2016, for the M4-types the reliability were:

M4A1 (new) - MRBS: 3592; MRBEFF: 6076
    M4A1 (rebuilt) - MRBS: 3671; MRBEFF: 5758

In order to make a good comparison, on would need to know how many weapons were used, how many rounds per gun, cleaning schedule, rate of fire, magazine type.

The 2016 Army test used 6 new M4s, three Colt, three FN, six M4A1 PIPs, and six rebuilt M4A1, fired 6000 round through each gun as follows: four 30 round magazines between cooling, magazines one and three were semi-auto at 1 RPM, magazines 2 and 4 were full auto in 3 to 5 round bursts at 5 second intervals. After 600 rounds - wipe and lube, after 1200 rounds - disassembled, cleaned and measured. They used the Army's new blue follower "Enhanced" magazines.

What were the Navy's test criteria?
    Woah. That's actually very impressive in my opinion. If military M4s are doing that with M855A1, I feel pretty good about the MRBS of my LE6920. As far as Crane's criteria, this is everything I could find on it: http://soldiersystems.net/2018/05/14...d-performance/

Do you have a source for that test the Army did in 2016? I don't doubt it, I'm just curious to see the details for myself.

My 6920 was bending brass off the deflector when suppressed with a sprinco blue and H2 buffet . Had it cut down to a 13.7 and just run it “loud”

That’s what I call overgassed

Generally I tune them so without a can it ejects at 230-300 o’clock so it puts it at 130-200 when suppressed

The point of this post was overgassed wears parts faster...not enough gas will cause issues when dirty.

If the guns tuned right it’ll run without issue
    Understood. Yeah, mine ejects about 0230 or so. I've never shot it suppressed, though. From my experience I've never shot a suppressed AR that wasn't overgassed. Seems like if it's not overgassed with unsuppressed, it's going to be overgassed when suppressed; and if it's not overgassed when suppressed, it's undergassed when unsuppressed.

I will replace parts at the recommended intervals for preventative maintenance for my 6920, so the faster parts wear doesn't really bother me.
    Last edited by SouthwestAviator; 11-11-18 at 17:53.

Feedback Score

Mean Rounds Between Stoppages for Colt 6920?

On a 16” I wouldn’t really worry about overgassing if your not running a can.

I only mentioned it because suppressed guns get FILTHY quickly

Faster parts wear is more an issue with the cyclic rate on 10” rifles than the 14.5 or 16

I’m your configuration let it overgas a bit and run it!

While not a 6920 my 10.3 is at 681 rounds all suppressed without cleaning and still running a top. Will probably clean it at 1k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by boombotz401; 11-11-18 at 17:58.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    For the everyday dude, I am not sure this is really anything to worry about so long as ypu use good magazines, good ammo and clean on a regular basis. I would presume that a 6920 should have a higher round count between stoppages as it is not running mags of full auto (unless you have one of those fun lowers).
    ETC (SW/AW), USN (1998-2008)
    CVN-65, USS Enterprise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast