Thread: Threaded pistol barrel extra length

Feedback Score

Threaded pistol barrel extra length

I have a threaded Storm lake barrel and there is about 1/3" of barrel sticking out from the slide before the shoulder. Is there a reason so much?

I'm thinking of having someone thread my next one and keeping it shorter - closer to 1/10". I can't see any reason it would matter but wanted to get some other thoughts.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by MegademiC View Post
    I have a threaded Storm lake barrel and there is about 1/3" of barrel sticking out from the slide before the shoulder. Is there a reason so much?

I'm thinking of having someone thread my next one and keeping it shorter - closer to 1/10". I can't see any reason it would matter but wanted to get some other thoughts.
    I have seen pictures of a Glock guide rod hitting the suppressor on TOS. I think that was due to not enough clearance, but I am sure that is model dependent.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    With threaded barrel makers, there doesn't seem to be a "standard" for length. For Glock 19: I have a Zev/Surefire barrel that has a shoulder that is very tight to the slide. I also have a Barsto that is a little longer. My friend has a Gemtech that is little longer than the Barsto, and an old (pre- Dasan) Lone Wolf that is between the Zev and the Barsto. I just bought a Dasan barrel and it is really long, in the 1/4"+ neighborhood, from the slide face to the shoulder. (The Dasan BTW is nicely made and pretty accurate for a $90 barrel.). I am not sure why there is any practical reason for the difference in length. I can see where too short is a big problem in operation, but can't see where the extra length would be. It does look odd though.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Competent machinist will not machine threads of that size that short. You need a specific number of threads of engagement for full strength of material for threads to survive. Remember what the pressures of pistol rounds are and then remember what rifle rounds generate for pressure and you'll think to yourself "why so little threading, this can will blow right off the barrel". (60000 PSI+ is no joke) The suppressor manufacturers have their thread specs listed on websites usually, they know what is needed and it is a good idea to follow their spec, if for no other reason warranty coverage.

Thread guidelines are listed in many pages in the "machinery handbook" , a publication that is updated yearly to keep up with innovations in machining procedures, materials, tooling.

Do you really want to end up in the bubba "gunsmithing hall of shame" thread?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by tigershilone View Post
    Do you really want to end up in the bubba "gunsmithing hall of shame" thread?
    I think you missed his point. He didn't ask about the length of threads. He asked about the distance between the slide and the shoulder.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
    I think you missed his point. He didn't ask about the length of threads. He asked about the distance between the slide and the shoulder.
    Yea, my bad. Need room for can clearance when the barrel cycles back during firing to clear guiderod. If you dont have a can all ready, put a 1/2-28 flash hider on the barrel and hand cycle the action. This will show you how close things get during the firing cycle.

Feedback Score
    There is plenty of room with my can, but perhaps different designs will have less clearance. Thanks guys.

Last edited by MegademiC; 02-11-17 at 09:05.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Show a pic of the slide locked to the rear, close up of the guide rod/can clearance.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Rayrevolver View Post
    Show a pic of the slide locked to the rear, close up of the guide rod/can clearance.
    I have a bit of clearance with mine, but if the can was full diameter right at the threads, I'd be right up against the rod.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by MegademiC; 02-11-17 at 21:53.