Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help out a Bolt gun idiot

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)

Help out a Bolt gun idiot

So for a while I have been kicking around the idea of picking up a .308 rifle since everything I have currently is 5.56 and I feel like I should have something a bit heavier for whatever.

Well yesterday my LGS took in a Rem 700 on trade that I could not pass up.
    It is the AAC model and has a HS precision Mag conversion kit installed. Gun has had less than one box of ammo through it and is clean.

Attachment 43909

I managed to pick it up for 500. However I have no idea where to go from here.

What are good glass and rings for this rifle? What other accessories should I consider?

Currently the ammo I have is a case of what appears to be Nato production ammo. The bullets are magnetic so I am assuming they are steel cored. I also assume this is safe to fire through this rifle?

Attachment 43910

I realize these probably seem like pretty stupid questions but my knowledge of bolt guns is about the same as your average DPMS buyers knowledge is of ARs.
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    I'd look at NF and Leupold for good glad at sane prices. I don't know anything about that ammo but if I bought a precision bolt gun I'd at least gas it up with some quality fuel... .308 match ammo can be found for stupid reasonable prices. I think you did well on your purchase... for $500 bucks even if you have to spend some money un****ing it (somewhat likely as it's a Remington) you'll still come out ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Great catch. You can't go wrong with a Vortex HST or PST.

If you're a veteran or law enforcement, Vortex offers heavy discounts through their website.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    64 (98%)
    I am a fan of Vortex optics so that is a good idea.

What about power? I dont' have any experience outside the normal 1-4
    Tell my tale to those who ask. Tell it truly; the ill deeds along with the good, and let me be judged accordingly.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by kwelz View Post
    I am a fan of Vortex optics so that is a good idea.

What about power? I dont' have any experience outside the normal 1-4
    How far is your range? Do you plan to hunt with this?

If you're aiming for precision shooting or long range shooting, I like 6-24x50 FFP.

If you're hunting, though this is a heavy rifle. I need something with 1X capability. Where I live, our shots in the mountains aren't much further than 100 yards. If you're in the plains, you can have a much longer shot. So for my hunting purposes, 1-6x24mm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Hit the 5.11 and Magpul store while you're in that lane. At least you found the onramp with the Vortex.
    GET IN YOUR BUBBLE!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Vortex PST 4-16X scope for me, on 20-min tapered base & Burris ZEE-rings dialed in to make most use of elevation. Works for me! Many are VERY impressed with this scope, as when set aside others and reading the USAF optics resolution chart at 200-yrds, the only scopes better are Sightrons or Night Forces at 2X the price minimum!

IMHO you don't need any more power than 16X and if you do, you had better buy a scope costing 2-3 times the PST cost. Visual accuity is optimized by the glass, not the power. This PST has both in the price range to $1K, by my actual in field test comparisons.
    Last edited by Lefty223; 02-08-17 at 08:28.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I don't have any input on your optic choices, but your ammo is this stuff:
    http://www.sgammo.com/product/308-wi...-ammo-am2030-r

German Mil Surplus, 148gr FMJ, and berdan primed. They're lead core (like it says on the box), but the jacket composition is magnetic. It's definitely safe to fire in your rifle.

Looks like you got good deal on a nice rifle...Enjoy!
    Last edited by kerplode; 02-08-17 at 17:45.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    In my opinion the absolute best/top of the line rings and bases are those from Badger Ordance. However, I cannot afford to personally purchase Badger Ordance so I use Seekins Precision. Its very close in terms of quality and fit and has never let me down. Seekins is very very high quality and substantially cheaper in price.

Feedback Score
    I have the Vortex Viper 6x24-50 on my 12 LRP and so far it's been good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast