Thread: Early February Deer hunt at Wild River Ranch

Feedback Score

Early February Deer hunt at Wild River Ranch

Early February Deer hunt at Wild River Ranch

It's February and it's time for the Last deer hunts of 2017. I made the drive to Wild River Ranch for a weekend of hunting and shooting on the 800 yard range.

I took two cull doe. Finishing out the tags with the exception of one for the hunt scheduled for the last weekend.

The wind died, it got warm and started misting and a light rain fell off and on Saturday through Sunday. I still took two doe for the freezer.

Unfortunately, this weather pattern is not conducive to stalking Hogs either on foot or on the new golf cart.

POF P-308 & P-416. The Dynamic Duo

Sig Kilo 2000 LRF at Claudette. The tree line is 220 yards. Third Coast thermal has the Kilo

IR Hunter mkii 19mm on a high humidity evening. looking at a deer 93 yards away under the feeder.

POF P-308 looking toward the feeder.

Doe down on Saturday evening. Looking downrange from beltway.

The doe is around 75 yards. It was a chip shot.

The abandoned blind at the far end is 396 yards away.

POF's P-308. Bringing home the venison

POF P-308 looking toward feeder at Luby's

2nd Doe down

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
    Providing NFA Trust Services to Texas Citizens

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score

Federal 165gr Trophy bonded werewolf silver smmo.

More Venison. Perfect neck shot.

Hawk in a tree near Luby's.

The newly refurbished Electric Pig Getter. New racks and rear seat. Has a mount fie the corn thrower and 12 volt power for the plug.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score

POF's P-416 w/ IR HUNTER MKII, GemTech Trek Ti and Rifles Only HAD suppressor cover. Im also trying out the Mission First tactical magazine from Shot Show.

Two perfect watches for the hunt. My Artifice horoworks SKS enhanced seiko mod for the day. The Surefire 2011 wrist light for the night hunting. I've been wearing this monstrosity of a watch on these hunts for several years. It's always nice to have anywhere from under 60 lumens to 300 lumens available on my wrist when I need it without having to put anything down. The Luminox lume is readable at o'dark-thirty when you wake up. I can make fun of her all day for its ungainly size, but as a tool. And flashlight it is one of the most useful items have

My oldest and I prepping the heart of deer.

Cooking the fileted and peppered heart in butter.

Enjoying our labors. My oldest thought it was great. My youngest refused to touch it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

www.AtomicLabRat.com

Feedback Score
    58 (100%)
    Looks like a good time.

A comment on the "pig getter"; the rifle racks being outside the vehicle would pose a problem at our place.
    While perhaps not an issue driving on defined roads/trails, I can see driving through plum thickets and heavy brush being a deal breaker with the rifles outside the vehicle.
    It'd take about a 1/4 mi. before I'd rip off a scope, destroy a mount, or something of that nature.
    I used a floor mounted, double gun carrier in the Ranger for this reason. It takes up a little space, making a third rider up front difficult, but the guns arrive intact.

Feedback Score
    Mud flaps are going to be fabricated because without them, the rifles tend to accumulate mud. The rifles will probably end up mounted inside for the reasons you identified.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

www.AtomicLabRat.com