Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Ambi mag release and other parts.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Ambi mag release and other parts.

Given my relatively short time with this product, I see this as a upgrade over the previously installed KAC.

Forgive the filter, I thought it looked cool.
    Last edited by JulyAZ; 05-27-17 at 23:33.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Nice, you painted it already?
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design
    Simplicity is the sign of truth

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Ambi mag release and other parts.

Edit.
    Last edited by JulyAZ; 05-28-17 at 11:24.

Feedback Score
    4 (83%)
    NSN 1005-01-537-6498

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HMsailor View Post
    NSN 1005-01-537-6498
    I think most of us are quite aware of the Norgon. To me the Norgon's primary advantage is that it allows installation of BAD levers, it also doesn't mar the receiver Whether the BAD levers interfere with operation of the Norgon is largely dependent on technique, IMO.

Another common concern voiced by folks regarding the Norgon is the possibility of inadvertently releasing a magazine when locking the bolt to the rear due to the Norgon lever's close proximity to the bolt catch.

In my order of preference:

1) FCD EMR-A
    1.5) KAC - just about a tie but the EMR-A is not as likely to snag something and cause trouble.
    2) Troy
    3) Norgon
    Last edited by 26 Inf; 05-28-17 at 09:05.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    ABC/R was conceived while I was still at my old gig to specifically address the difficulties of accessing the bolt catche's lower paddle with a Norgon Ambi-Catch installed. I had mentioned earlier that it's common enough for a well thought out aftermarket product to interfere with another original part, because that old factory part wasn't designed to work with the newly created and installed component.

ABC/R was the first purpose designed bolt catch for use with ambi mag catches that interfere with the bolt catch's operation. Its angled lower paddle protrudes beyond the Norgon's paddle, and since it is the only angled control surface in the region, it's easy to tell it apart from other surfaces, you don't need to look at it to know what you're pressing, it has low light/no light uses and is much faster to find/use.

EMR-A was designed to be very low profile for several reasons. We want it to be compatible with a factory bolt catch, not an easy thing to do, as a factory bolt catch's lower paddle is somwhat ill thought out, being so small and low profile. Also, we want the EMR-A lever to be the last thing that hits the ground if the rifle is dropped. The charging handle's latch, a scope mount, the bolt catch, the sling adapter (if mounted on the left side), should all say hello to the ground before the EMR-A's lever does. In case it does, the lever is machined from 7075 aluminum, type 3 hard coat anodized, and the roll pin is rated for an ungodly 800lb of shear force. Lastly, it's aimed to mitigate snag hazard. As designed, it's very close to the receiver, and only as thick as it needs to be, and no further, to mitigate and minimize snag hazard and unintended lever actuation by either a vest mounted gear, or the user's finger.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design

Feedback Score
    4 (83%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I think most of us are quite aware of the Norgon. To me the Norgon's primary advantage is that it allows installation of BAD levers, it also doesn't mar the receiver Whether the BAD levers interfere with operation of the Norgon is largely dependent on technique, IMO.

Another common concern voiced by folks regarding the Norgon is the possibility of inadvertently releasing a magazine when locking the bolt to the rear due to the Norgon lever's close proximity to the bolt catch.

In my order of preference:

1) FCD EMR-A
    1.5) KAC - just about a tie but the EMR-A is not as likely to snag something and cause trouble.
    2) Troy
    3) Norgon
    that wasnt my point. there is a reason why norgon has been awarded a natl stock number and it sure isnt low cost. It cant get any perfect than a norgon for a drop in standard part. As for accidentally releasing mag when locking bolt, practice practice practice. If that doesnt help, remove mag out first then lock bolt. Thats how it should be done anyway. You dont lock a bolt with a loaded mag inserted. If that still doesnt help then empty mag so bolt will lock back cuz theres no hope. As for accidental mag release, there is more chance for the right mag release button to cause this.

My order of preference:
    1. Norgon
    2. Norgon
    3. Norgon

If the Sr15 ambi release wasnt proprietary, it would tie with norgon.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by HMsailor View Post
    that wasnt my point.
    I had guessed what your point was. As it was your response didn't add much to the discussion. I was hoping to elicit a response that explained why you thought the Norgon warranted an NSN and others didn't.

Feedback Score
    4 (83%)
    Quote Originally Posted by 26 Inf View Post
    I had guessed what your point was. As it was your response didn't add much to the discussion. I was hoping to elicit a response that explained why you thought the Norgon warranted an NSN and others didn't.
    your welcome. Glad i could help.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I'm not sure if there was a choice when Norgon was given an NSN, regardless of that, it is a very good and robust design, I used it for more than 10 years and had always been my favorite.
    Roger Wang
    Forward Controls Design

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast