Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Rifle Buffer with Tungsten Weight(s)?

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Rifle Buffer with Tungsten Weight(s)?

Would there be any reason or advantage to popping open a rifle-size buffer and installing a tungsten weight (or two, or three)?

To be more specific, the rest of the directly related components in question are a BCM midlength 16" upper with a BCM Gunfighter Comp, rifle-length receiver extension, standard rifle spring, and standard rifle buffer, and the ammo used 90% of the time is M193. I haven't had any issues whatsoever, but since it's my favorite rifle I'm wondering if it would help with longevity of parts or an even smoother recoil impulse.
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I'm going to wait for the engineers/more experienced guys to give you a definite, but I'd guess it would have to do with how heavy you make it. I'm curious, to find out though.
    "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing." -Edmund Burke

"It is better to be thought a fool and to remain silent, than to speak and remove all doubt." -Abraham Lincoln

Feedback Score
    11 (92%)
    The std rifle buffer weighs 5.2 oz. For comparison the A5-H2 weighs 5.33 and would probably be the choice for 90% of us running the A5. If all you shoot is 193 you could probably get away with adding 1 or 2 tungsten weights but I doubt you could tell feel difference in a blind test.

Feedback Score
    40 (100%)
    A spring change may be more effective for what you are attempting to accomplish.
    Tubbs or SpringCo
    Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Performance.......

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Tungsten weights are possible, but a more practical way to add weight is to replace the long aluminum spacer with 2 steel weights and rubber discs.

This brings the total weight up to ~6.15 oz

We call it the the R7 buffer and it seems to work well.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    I would suggest what Clint mentions above, easy and economical to try out for the OP's combination.
    Reducing the action cyclic rate with additional mass can help durability, just don't push it out of the reliability range for the selected combo.
    Another option is to remove the internal aluminum spacer and reduce the spacer length to a little less than a standard internal weight length. That reduced spacer with an added steel weight can have more internal travel. Add in a Vltor A5 spring preloaded buffer pad with the spring relieved steel weight, with the additional A5 travel, you have an excellent baseline buffer that can accept more tungsten mass substituting steel mass if required.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    This is what i have done to a rifle with a BCM 16" mid length barrel and it works well
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Tungsten weights are possible, but a more practical way to add weight is to replace the long aluminum spacer with 2 steel weights and rubber discs.

Feedback Score
    I've done this with a rifle buffer, swapped the spacer with two steel weights, I prefer it, runs great.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post

Bingo. Used it for several builds on friends' rifles with great success.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    What would happen, say, if one replaced all the steel weights with tungsten (essentially making an H5 or even H7)? Would it run like an undergassed carbine with an H3 and PMC Bronze (frequent failures to feed)?

How does changing the buffer weight affect the recoil impulse? If it slows the carrier down enough, would it end up being something like the SureFire Long Stroke carrier system or the Ultimax 100 Constant Recoil system? Is there even enough "room" in the AR operating system to allow for something like that?
    Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast