Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rifle Buffer with Tungsten Weight(s)?

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysusigma View Post
    What would happen, say, if one replaced all the steel weights with tungsten (essentially making an H5 or even H7)? Would it run like an undergassed carbine with an H3 and PMC Bronze (frequent failures to feed)?

How does changing the buffer weight affect the recoil impulse? If it slows the carrier down enough, would it end up being something like the SureFire Long Stroke carrier system or the Ultimax 100 Constant Recoil system? Is there even enough "room" in the AR operating system to allow for something like that?
    That would be far too heavy. It would basically make it a 13oz buffer. Too much.

To answer your second set of questions, there isn't enough room for that in the current AR15 platform.
    Last edited by BufordTJustice; 02-18-17 at 19:00.
    "That thing looks about as enjoyable as a bowl of exploding dicks." - Magic_Salad0892

"The body cannot go where the mind has not already been."

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So a max cyclic rate of 120rpm isn't feasible, then?

Sent from the future using Squid Telepathy

Quote Originally Posted by MistWolf View Post
    If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    I'm more of a fan of gassing the gun right and forcing the gun to run with the correct/standard buffer. Pappabear and I are in the middle of doing this to 3 or 4 10.5" SBRs using insertable gas ports. It seems that every booger brained manufacturer of 10.5" barrels sees it appropriate to put an .080 +/- port on these barrels.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    It seems that every booger brained manufacturer of 10.5" barrels sees it appropriate to put an .080 +/- port on these barrels.
    Because nobody would ever run them suppressed, right?

Is there an engineering table somewhere that correlates dwell time, port size, buffer weight, and gas pressure?

If we could control all the variables, we'd just put all the bad luck on our enemies and stay home.

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dionysusigma View Post
    Because nobody would ever run them suppressed, right?
    Exactly. They're pretty over gassed un-suppressed... forget adding the can.

Is there an engineering table somewhere that correlates dwell time, port size, buffer weight, and gas pressure?
    Not that I know of. When it comes to 14.5 middy and 10.5 carbine, I know the desired ports by heart.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    Running a heavier weight buffer does not change the momentum, you are simply changing the duration in which the reciprocating mass cycles and the "perceived felt recoil changes" I'll explain more in detail in a review im going to post next week. If your goal is for wear and tear I would suggest an adjustable gas block. cheers

Feedback Score
    Deleted
    Last edited by bfoosh006; 08-29-17 at 19:33.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    So, the best solution offered (based on others' implementation) is to remove the aluminum spacer, and install two steel weights and rubber discs. How many rubber pieces are needed/recommended? I pulled my rifle buffer apart tonight and after measuring the spacer at 1.25", it seems that (plus the steel weights) only one rubber disc is required... but I'd like to make sure before I order.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
    The std rifle buffer weighs 5.2 oz. For comparison the A5-H2 weighs 5.33 and would probably be the choice for 90% of us running the A5. If all you shoot is 193 you could probably get away with adding 1 or 2 tungsten weights but I doubt you could tell feel difference in a blind test.
    I use an A5-H3 and a Sprinco Green, but I don't run any weak ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    Tungsten weights are possible, but a more practical way to add weight is to replace the long aluminum spacer with 2 steel weights and rubber discs.

This brings the total weight up to ~6.15 oz

We call it the the R7 buffer and it seems to work well.
    Is somebody selling a kit like this? BTW - I found that the Tubbs flat wire made a real difference in a rifle length buffer for a carbine gas 16" barrel.

Feedback Score
    6 (100%)
    Heavy Buffers carries an 11-ounce XH buffer for rifles. It'll work with M193.

The XH buffer or tungsten insert carrier weight system help to keep the system locked longer. It makes the rifle operate smoother as the system literally takes longer to unlock and cycle. It stresses brass less as it'll have cooled and not be expanded (obturated) against the chamber walls.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast