Thread: Fun with 1st SBR Convert

Feedback Score

Fun with 1st SBR Convert

Got my Form 1 Efile trust approved at 4:53AM on 2/7/17 after a 238 day wait from 6/16/16 on Control # 20162879xx. Man was I ready!

I rounded up all the parts and tools I had scattered around at my wifes office and went to work. This would actually be funny if I had done the SBR job in a clean environment. I'm over 60 years old and this is my first AR gun experience.

I got the lower separated from the upper and the buffer spring out without losing the little buffer retainer and spring. I then got the lower locked in a vice in the garage using carpet pieces to keep from scratching the aluminum lower of the P516 Sig.

I had purchased a ProMag Ar15/M16 Carbine Stuck Wrench/Multi-Tool. As it turns out this tool just barely fits the castle nut. I had to use a small hammer to force it on. Even though the receiver end plate was punched, it was not difficult to back off the castle nut and remove the buffer tube. My mistake was taking the lower out of the vice. I cannot even tell you why I did that but I had pins and springs flying all over the garage floor. Some were large and were easy to find - buffer retainer and spring, & rear take down pin. Why was it on the floor. I examined it closely. There is a groove in it and small depressions at each end of the groove! Yikes! Looking closer, there is a small hole at the back of the lower receiver that goes all the way to the take down pin hole! Great!

I finally did what I should have done first - look at some sort of schematic. They're all over the net. I found the small hole guides a detent pin and spring that rides in the take down pin. Oh my they are small.

Well to wind this up, it took over an hour running a magnet and sweeping the dirty garage floor to finally find them. Getting the tiny pin and spring to stay in while installing the end plate, castle nut and buffer tube is no easy feat but it is now done.

I'm now waiting on a suppressor ordered June 2....

Finished Conversion From Pistol w/Sig Brace to SBR
    [/URL]

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)
    Nice SBR. I have the same upper, but still have a long wait for the stamp before it can be assembled. The NFA sure does teach patients.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    94 (100%)

Fun with 1st SBR Convert

Might think about a long length of 550 cord when you shoot that thing for the first time. LOL I'm kidding you sir. Sorta.
    I have to admit that's the first SBR story I've read like that. I've lost a spring or two here and there, (none on the last 6 builds thankfully). But to have them scatter across the garage and then use a magnet to pick them all up. That's some kinda story sir. Lol
    I use a utility blade or even a single side razor blade when putting in that rear take down detent. I even use it on my pivot pin, although I can usually do that without any special tool, which I had but lost. Battle Arms provides a magnet that it meant to hold that detent for you, but you didn't replace that so I digress.
    I would ask how many AR's will you build? If it's more than one, I would highly recommend getting some kind of mag block. I've been using the Magpul BEV, which you can secure you lower in the magazine well and it engages the feed ramps of the barrel on the upper. I've used it now a few times for my 11.5 build and swapping out muzzle devices. Nothing worse than jacking up your AR from using the wrong or low quality tools. I have a mil spec barrel nut that I tortured to death with an uber crappy barrel wrench. (Thank you Wheelers)
    At any rate t is a nice looking SBR sir, you should be proud.
    I am hopeful that my next couple of stamps will arrive in the next month. But as Ranger said, BATF teaches patience. Or something like that.
    Did you go the trust route?

ETA: I have never cut myself using that method on my rear takedown pin, but if anyone does this method be careful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by RobertTheTexan; 02-09-17 at 13:21. Reason: Added safety statement
    "Texas has yet to learn submission to any oppression, come from what source it may."
    ~ Sam Houston

“The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks.”
    ~ Sam Adams

Feedback Score
    Hey Robert,
    I suspect this will be my only AR. I improvised mostly since I'm such a beginner. I have a 223 Savage and a couple of Sig 9mm and an assault shotgun but not much more plans for arms except maybe a Sig Legion. My oldest son has built a few AR from scratch. He is now working on a Blackout 300. He generally goes cheap but does a good bit of research b4 the build. He's waiting on the ATF for 2 more suppressors. What fun. I did trust prior to 41F. Now not really needed. I'm just glad it is done. Tired of having parts at office. I'll maybe add a sling, grip and flashlight. Maybe.

Feedback Score
    Awesome looking rifle! So you did an eFile Form 1 After 41P took effect? I thought they didn't have the eFile system available yet for the new changes. I submitted my Form 1 right around the same date you did, but I did the paper method as an individual. Has anyone been approved for post 41P Form 1 Individual paper filling yet?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Thanks StealthOPS32. My card was charged June 14th, 2 days after my Efile, so it was prior to 41F. I've not seen any approvals post 41F yet on several watch forums. What I'm seeing is about 232 days Feds working May 26 dates right now on Form 1 individual-paper. Looks like wait times have jumped in the last 30 days from about 150 to 245 or so. Look at this page. Not sure how accurate of up to date it might be.
    http://www.nfatracker.com/nfa-transfer-time-tracking/

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Nice work!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by masterdrago View Post
    Thanks StealthOPS32. My card was charged June 14th, 2 days after my Efile, so it was prior to 41F. I've not seen any approvals post 41F yet on several watch forums. What I'm seeing is about 232 days Feds working May 26 dates right now on Form 1 individual-paper. Looks like wait times have jumped in the last 30 days from about 150 to 245 or so. Look at this page. Not sure how accurate of up to date it might be.
    http://www.nfatracker.com/nfa-transfer-time-tracking/
    Thanks masterdrago. I made a mistake, I thought your submission was July not June. Well, looks like I have a bit longer to wait. Oh well :/

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Awesome SBR! Makes me want mine even more! Awesome build.