Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Grendel bolt action?

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)

6.5 Grendel bolt action?

Does anyone make a decent quality 6.5 Grendel bolt action rifle? I'm thinking something short, around 16" barrel, relatively lightweight, packable. Idea would be a light bolt gun for hunting that's smaller than a 308, but has more punch than 5.56/223.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    The Howa mini action is available in 6.5g and appears to be pretty nice. I don't know much about them but I think they are well received by the people who own them. I thought I heard rumors of CZ introducing the grendel in the 527 series, but I didn't see anything when I did a quick check of CZ USA's website. Some people have rebarreled the 7.62x39 527's to grendel. I have a 527 in 7.62x39 and I really like it- a handy little magazine fed brush gun with decent open sights, and I think it would be great to have it in 6.5g. The Howa's are comparable in size and weight I think. Either one would be a great truck or brush gun.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Nice, thanks. I was originally thinking of a barreled 223 Remington, especially if Magpul ever does a Hunter stock for small action 700's.

Something with a 16" light barrel, and a detachable 10 round mag would be perfect.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by StevethePirate View Post
    Nice, thanks. I was originally thinking of a barreled 223 Remington, especially if Magpul ever does a Hunter stock for small action 700's.

Something with a 16" light barrel, and a detachable 10 round mag would be perfect.
    Thought about a custom build? A Howa mini action with barrel of your choice and chassis/stock of your choice could fit the bill. I believe they have 10rd mags or you could see if someone makes bottom metal/chassis that takes AICS 10rd .223 mags.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The Howa action is pretty well thought of for an entry level rifle from all I have read (never touched one, can't vouch personally.) They are on sale at brownells right now for a barreled action

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...dYb2cifQ%3d%3d

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    The Howa Mini Action is good to go. For the price might as well get the complete rifle offered by Legacy Sports.

Feedback Score
    72 (100%)
    One example of CZ's Grendel: http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-american/

6.5lbs. 24" barrel. You'd have to cut down barrel to make 16" but that starts to eliminate the unique benefits of the Grendel. I'd personally cut it down to 18-20" as that's considered by many Grendel users the sweet spot for general purpose.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    I just picked up a howa 6.5 grendel barreled action. Although my intended purpose is a super lightweight mountain hunting rifle, I'm impressed with the quality to price ratio. I'm in the process of trying to find a stock for it, and the market is tiny. Boyds and mdt lss chassis. Neither will work for my needs.

I still can't get over how small the action is. I purchased the lightweight barrel version and I think I can stay under 6lbs with a scope if I choose components wisely.
    Last edited by J-Dub; 03-15-17 at 19:43.

Feedback Score
    17 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Dub View Post
    I just picked up a howa 6.5 grendel barreled action. Although my intended purpose is a super lightweight mountain hunting rifle, I'm impressed with the quality to price ratio. I'm in the process of trying to find a stock for it, and the market is tiny. Boyds and mdt lss chassis. Neither will work for my needs.

I still can't get over how small the action is. I purchased the lightweight barrel version and I think I can stay under 6lbs with a scope if I choose components wisely.
    Let us know how it turns out. I'm planning a rifle for a similar goal, so I am interested in your choice of scope, rings and stock (if found).

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Co-gnARR View Post
    Let us know how it turns out. I'm planning a rifle for a similar goal, so I am interested in your choice of scope, rings and stock (if found).
    For scope I'm going to use a leupold vx1 2-7x33 w/ lr duplex reticle that is listed at 9.9oz, and Talley rings (not 100% on weight but I've heard 2oz a piece ). The stock might have to be a wait and see deal. I've been in contact with MPI who have offered to make one if I can supply a donor stock (I'm assuming they have a duplicator and can copy the inlet). Those seem to run around 22-26oz.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast