Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: AK armorer recommendation

Feedback Score
    4 (100%)

AK armorer recommendation

I just traded for a nice AK but I would like to chop the front end, move the front sight back to the gas block, and permanently attach a suppressor mount. I haven't followed AKs in several years and I have no idea who does good work now. Last AK I had built was Rifle Dynamics but it appears they only do production guns now and back then Fullers wait times were absurd. I don't need a quick turn around but I do want an armorer that finishes the job on time and communicates. Any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    I had Rifle Dynamics build a kit for me. I thought I could do better wait time wise and sent 2 more kits to Jayson at Investment Grade Firearms. Horrible choice on my part! I sent them in January 2013. It took 2 years to get them and I sent them both back due to problems. I'm still waiting on one being returned! 4 years! It's been one BS excuse after another.

I'm sure there are places out there that will do a fine job for you but I'm warning you that Investmemt Grade Firearms is not it. I wish I would have stuck with RD. I'm sure I'd have 2 functioning rifles right now.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    A guy that works for me had a good experience using Marxman Arms in Las Vegas. They do exactly what you want, look in the "Gunsmithing" section. They are local to us, so it was a 5 minute drive rather than a ship in type of thing. http://www.marxmanarms.com/ RD isn't doing any work outside of production guns, so this is why he went to Marxman.

Feedback Score
    6 (88%)
    You can try Arizona Response Systems too. Mark's communication is outstanding.

A few years ago I was looking for a gunsmith to do exactly what you're looking to do right now. I contacted Mark about the work, and for any recommendations. Long story short, he convinced me that cutting and pinning the barrel to 16" was not really worth the cost of it. His price was far more reasonable than RD and Investment Grade Firearms (I emailed around for quotes).

That said, I do have two AK's that I will be sending to him when my funds permit.

As far as communication goes, he emailed back within one business day everytime. Sometimes even immediately.

Feedback Score
    11 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by dmd08 View Post
    I had Rifle Dynamics build a kit for me. I thought I could do better wait time wise and sent 2 more kits to Jayson at Investment Grade Firearms. Horrible choice on my part! I sent them in January 2013. It took 2 years to get them and I sent them both back due to problems. I'm still waiting on one being returned! 4 years! It's been one BS excuse after another.

I'm sure there are places out there that will do a fine job for you but I'm warning you that Investmemt Grade Firearms is not it. I wish I would have stuck with RD. I'm sure I'd have 2 functioning rifles right now.

Same experience here with IGF - don't send your AK to them. Sent him a kit in 2011. Had to send back for problems, still no rifle returned & he has stopped returning any calls or emails.

HOWEVER, I have had excellent service from Tim @ Gewehr Werks - many builds done with him & very happy with those.

Feedback Score
    Chris Butler at AK USA. He's one of the best AK smith's I've dealt with.

Feedback Score
    8 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by notorious_ar15 View Post
    Same experience here with IGF - don't send your AK to them. Sent him a kit in 2011. Had to send back for problems, still no rifle returned & he has stopped returning any calls or emails.

HOWEVER, I have had excellent service from Tim @ Gewehr Werks - many builds done with him & very happy with those.
    Unbelievable.

Supposedly my 2nd rifle was repaired and done in November. All he has to do is ship it. Nothing.

I'm considering filing a mail fraud claim.

I totally forgot Arizona Response. I would have used him in an instant.

Feedback Score
    Fatorangecat, typically the cost/benefit of the work you'd need to have done wouldn't be worth it, but it's hard to say without knowing what you've got. Post pictures and description of the AK you're looking to modify.

I'd highly recommend Two Rivers Firearms. I can build AK's, but I sent them some of my expensive kits for them to build. Their attention to detail is great. Here's a milled Bulgarian that they built for me:

Here are three Yugo M95's that they built for me.

Feedback Score
    Another vote for two river arms. Just got back two Yugo RPK'S from them and they are great. Been shooting the hell out of them, very nice builds

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    How could I forget the mutt build Two Rivers did for me? This one has a US NoDak Spud stamped receiver, a US made Bulgarian style side folding stock set, a Hungarian carrier/bolt, a Bulgarian barrel assembly (for a milled receiver), and a Yugo M92 front trunnion. They built it and it runs like a champ.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast