Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Improving the underfolder AK...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)

Improving the underfolder AK...

IIRC the stock locks ion both the folded and unfolded position. If the stock could be modified to not lock in the folded position, this would make it much easier to deploy.

Samson MFG at least used to make a bolt on cheek piece.

You could have longer struts for an increased length of pull, more clearance for vertical grips and possibly, if long enough, it could clear a 40rd (7.62x39) or 45rd (5.45 or 5.56) mag.

Some grippy material like rubber cement or silicon on the u shaped butt piece could help.

I hear the stocks don't hold up well over time. I'm told the recoil shakes them apart. Perhaps using them on a lower recoiling caliber, like the 5.45x39 would both make it last longer and decrease discomfort from the stock design.

TED

Feedback Score
    They were phased out for a reason. I have one, as everyone who collects AK's should have at least one underfolder in their collection. Mine is an SA85M underfolder. I like that style straight stock over the older slightly slanted stock on the 47 pattern.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    You're over thinking it. The stock was simply meant to fold in storage or transport. It doesn't need to clear 40 round mags in storage and it didn't matter anyway since 40 round mags were issued with RPKs.

If it doesn't lock in the closed position then you're constantly going to have it get cought on stuff as it eventually moves, since there is nothing to hold it in place. It will also loosen over time as the stock is used. It's not any harder to deploy then the AR stock. Push with thump and at the same time use the other fingers to flip it open.

Vertical grips clear fine. Romanians used wooden vertical grips with underfolders. If it can clear a 30 round mag it can clear a vertical grip.

Correct, they do not hold up overtime but this is in military service. Which is why they were phased out.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Wrapping the side rail with paracord is really the only improvement I thought my underfolder needed.
    A person who is not inwardly prepared for the use of violence against him is always weaker than the person committing the violence. - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Magpul AFG placed in the right spot on the HG prevents fully folding.
    Former LEO (12 years)
    Paramedic
    B-TOMS
    TCCC
    TECC

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    You're over thinking it. The stock was simply meant to fold in storage or transport. It doesn't need to clear 40 round mags in storage and it didn't matter anyway since 40 round mags were issued with RPKs.

If it doesn't lock in the closed position then you're constantly going to have it get cought on stuff as it eventually moves, since there is nothing to hold it in place. It will also loosen over time as the stock is used. It's not any harder to deploy then the AR stock. Push with thump and at the same time use the other fingers to flip it open.

Vertical grips clear fine. Romanians used wooden vertical grips with underfolders. If it can clear a 30 round mag it can clear a vertical grip.

Correct, they do not hold up overtime but this is in military service. Which is why they were phased out.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
    Note that the first thing I mentioned for the increased strut length was an increased length of pull. The other stuff was secondary.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    There is no improving the underfolder. It is what it is. I own one (it's my only AK....gasp) and I appreciate it for what it is. When I want to shoot a comfortable refined AK design I grab one of my SIGs.
    SLG Defense 07/02 FFL/SOT

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    The recoil shakes them apart? Do you have any idea how they attach or what wears out to induce "wobble"?

Stock is fine. 4.5/5.5mm side folders are better but the UF is a classic. Accept it for what it is or move on.

Feedback Score
    The way to improve a downfolder AK is to get a sidefolder instead.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I don't see increasing the LOP on an underfolder to be a good idea or improvement, I have one and it isn't what I would short to start with, it is in fact longer than where I normally run my AR if I am wanting to shoot square to the target. So unless you are Sasquatch I don't see it helping. I also run paracord on one of my struts for a little added comfort. It helps enough. The buttplate/tube/area isn't bad, pull it into your shoulder properly, and don't rest it on your collar bone and you are fine. It 7.62x39 isn't a hard recoiling round. I also area that if you want a better folder the side folders is where it is at. And yes, I have to agree that underfolding or top folding stocks went the way of the dodo for good reason. There are few few niche applications where an underfolder is going to be more useful than a sidefolder but not many.
    "I don't collect guns anymore, I stockpile weapons for ****ing war." Chuck P.

"Some days you eat the bacon, and other days the bacon eats you." SeriousStudent

"Don't complain when after killing scores of women and children in a mall, a group of well armed men who train to shoot people like you in the face show up to say hello." WillBrink

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast