Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sig 226 MK25 Range day

Feedback Score

Sig 226 MK25 Range day

This is the second time I have used my new Sig.The first time was out doors and I ran 50 rounds thru it.I found it more difficult to shoot accurately with than my M9A3.But last time out was the first with a handgun since 1994 or so.

I sucked...badly.

I am trying several new things at once and that combined with my long hiatus was very humbling.First, my left eye is strongly dominant...and nearsighted too.But as luck would have it the sights are both crisp and clear!Of course, the target is blurry.This is the first time I have decided to buckle down and shoot cross dominant.In the past I used my right eye and glasses...this time around I am using no corrective lenses.These pistols are also my first DA/SA handguns...so that is new.
    Also in the past I used very highly tuned bullseye guns with bomar sights and perfect triggers.Adapting to sights with white dots and narrow for the rear sight front posts ups the challenge.

I benched the Sig and it shoots exactly where I point it so every stray is completely my fault.After burning 200+ rounds today I left feeling better.My groups are rapidly shrinking and as a bonus the trigger has improved...it is very sweet in SA now.This gun is hilarious for quick follow up shots and rapid fire groups were the same size as slow fire.I really look forward to becoming proficient with these handguns and I think I can do it in 5 or 6 more visits.

The Sig has had zero malfunctions and is very accurate...and very entertaining too!My best groups were fired with one hand.....so much work lies ahead.But driving the Sig is proving to be an excellent instructor.

She is clean and greased up for tomorrow.

I am looking forward to it a lot!!!

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    As far as the cross dominance goes, don't make it more difficult than it needs to be. I'm right handed/left eye dominant. Keep your head up, both eyes open and looking forward, and simply align the sights with your left eye. Not difficult at all. I opt to shoot rifles and shotguns right handed, and take a slight vision detriment. I'll often use a ball cap when shooting iron sighted rifles or shotguns to keep my left eye from overpowering my right and projecting two images of sights into my vision. Shooting with a scope or red dot is far less of an issue.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by MSparks909 View Post
    As far as the cross dominance goes, don't make it more difficult than it needs to be. I'm right handed/left eye dominant. Keep your head up, both eyes open and looking forward, and simply align the sights with your left eye. Not difficult at all. I opt to shoot rifles and shotguns right handed, and take a slight vision detriment. I'll often use a ball cap when shooting iron sighted rifles or shotguns to keep my left eye from overpowering my right and projecting two images of sights into my vision. Shooting with a scope or red dot is far less of an issue.
    It is new and different for me. my right eye is far sighted so long guns I am doing the same way as I have my whole life.I am using optics though which makes it easy.With no glasses on an aimpoint dot is nice and crisp and the aiming is easy.But without glasses my left eye is so near sighted the dot is a huge fuzzy mess!
    The novelty of seeing the front and rear sight clearly is nice...but I just have not tried it before.My goal is good performance with no glasses.I am 55 so I am very pleased so far with the rapid progress I am making.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    You've got a solid choice of a gun there. I find mine to be a very honest and accurate gun- not to mention very reliable. I assume you're using the stock trigger and didn't go for an SRT?

Make sure to train consistently with the DA/SA... it's a tough trigger to master, as you're going from one extreme (DA) to the other (SA) on follow-up shots. So you're mastering two triggers in one. My technique is to draw and fire the first round of each string (or fire the first round from low ready) DA, since I carry the pistol decocked. Smoothly roll it back- I use the crease between my fingertip and second knuckles, to really "sink in" to the trigger. Try not to stage it... I'm sure you've heard a lot of this before. Then at the end of a drill, I'll decock, holster, and lather-rinse-repeat.
    Last edited by sevenhelmet; 02-09-17 at 22:43.
    "We must, indeed, all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately." -Benjamin Franklin

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by sevenhelmet View Post
    You've got a solid choice of a gun there. I find mine to be a very honest and accurate gun- not to mention very reliable. I assume you're using the stock trigger and didn't go for an SRT?

Make sure to train consistently with the DA/SA... it's a tough trigger to master, as you're going from one extreme (DA) to the other (SA) on follow-up shots. So you're mastering two triggers in one. My technique is to draw and fire the first round of each string (or fire the first round from low ready) DA, since I carry the pistol decocked. Smoothly roll it back- I use the crease between my fingertip and second knuckles, to really "sink in" to the trigger. Try not to stage it... I'm sure you've heard a lot of this before. Then at the end of a drill, I'll decock, holster, and lather-rinse-repeat.
    I am leaving the pistol stock...so no srt.I actually want all corrosion resistant internals...and the srt is not phosphated.

I have yet to do any DA/SA drilling.Once I am back to where I want to be SA the DA/SA transition training begins.I have had hiatus's before but before I returned to the range I would shoot 500 rounds or so through my 177 pellet pistol.It is very accurate with a heavy long trigger.In the past that helped a lot.But it is not possible to use airguns in the city I live in so much more expensive 9mm...
    I think you are spot on about the accuracy and honesty of the pistol.DA shots so far seem not as horrible as some would have you believe...but I am several hundred rounds shy of doing transition drills...at least.

Feedback Score
    I'm the opposite. I shoot faster and slightly more accurate with the mk-25 vs the M9A3. Even though the beretta fits my hands better and the trigger feels lighter.

Been dry firing the italian gun a bit. Will take them both out next time and see.

The internals on my mk-25's doesnt seem to be phosphate coated so I installed the SRT in one of them. Much better with the shorter reset imo.
    Last edited by QuickStrike; 02-10-17 at 11:20.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    My mk25 was easily my most accurate shooting pistol for me. Congrats and keep running rounds down range.

Feedback Score
    You probably won't enjoy it (initially) but try shooting nothing but DA the next time you go out. It won't take very long before you get really accurate with that first shot.

The side benefit is, you'll know how to run any trigger you encounter after mastering the DA pull.

I spent 8 years carrying striker fired pistols and I had convinced myself that I "needed" a consistent trigger pull on every shot. It ain't the case.
    NRA & GOA - Join the fight!

Feedback Score
    16 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by GregP220 View Post
    You probably won't enjoy it (initially) but try shooting nothing but DA the next time you go out. It won't take very long before you get really accurate with that first shot.

The side benefit is, you'll know how to run any trigger you encounter after mastering the DA pull.

I spent 8 years carrying striker fired pistols and I had convinced myself that I "needed" a consistent trigger pull on every shot. It ain't the case.
    Thats a solid tip. Thanks!

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by QuickStrike View Post
    I'm the opposite. I shoot faster and slightly more accurate with the mk-25 vs the M9A3. Even though the beretta fits my hands better and the trigger feels lighter.

Been dry firing the italian gun a bit. Will take them both out next time and see.

The internals on my mk-25's doesnt seem to be phosphate coated so I installed the SRT in one of them. Much better with the shorter reset imo.
    I think the SRT is extremely desirable...But I am keeping these guns totally stock...as a handicap of sorts.The pistols I used in the past were easy for me to shoot well.These require more effort.I ran another 80 rounds downrange today and sucked...but I bore down and scored very well with my last two groups.It is not as easy as when I was in my 30's...but I am coming back fast which is very enjoyable...but not as quick as when I was younger!!!

Of course I have to applaud your choice of pistols!I really LOVE the M9A3...so much so I intend to run most stuff through the MK25 to spare it wear.Looks wise, no contest to me...I laugh every time I look at it...it almost looks like a toy with the FDE.I know others disagree and that's fine.The SIG is very low key and unless you look closely it is just another black pistol on the range.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast