Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safariland 6354DO Mods?

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)

Safariland 6354DO Mods?

I finally got around to getting a threaded barrel for a G17.

Go to stick the sumbitch in the Safariland, and the barrel block prevents the damn thing from seating.

Any advice?

Take a drill to the barrel block?

Removal?

Has anyone removed one? I can't even figure out how to get the pin out on the thing without tearing something up.

ETA: In case some one brings it up, the hood has already been shaved down to work with an RMR, so it's not the hood preventing a full insertion.
    Last edited by Outlander Systems; 02-10-17 at 10:54.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I had to mod two holsters when I added threaded barrels, one for an M&P and the other for a PPQ. You shouldn't be able to shave or remove the block due to it's relation to the plastic pin and bolt that hold it in.

What I did was remove the block and make a spacer. To do this remove the bolt at the bottom of the holster. This holds one half of the block. The other half is held in place by a plastic pin, which must also be removed. You may have to wiggle/flex the holster apart some where it folds over itself to remove the pin and block.

When you look at the removed block you will see that it is basically there to keep the barrel from moving back and forth. A portion of the block goes inside the barrel to achieve this.

In both of my cases when I inserted the pistol into the holster with the block removed the threaded barrel came about even with the side of the bolt that held the block but did not touch the bolt. I simply made a sleeve around the bolt by wrapping it with electrical tape until the pistol fit in with the barrel just touching the tape. This keeps the barrel from moving back and forth. I thought about switching the tape for a piece of rubber tubing, but the tape works great, so I never bothered.

Both of my holsters were slightly different in the positioning and size of the blocks, but this worked on both of them.

Unfortunately I sold the M&P and holster, and my PPQ and holster are at my other house, so I can't send any pictures.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    John,

Thanks for the advice. When I get some time tonight, I'll dismantle the block, and see if I can work something out.

On my particular holster, I have the cordura fabric covering the opposite end of the top pin, so I had no way of seeing how it was retained. If it's just friction fit, I'll get to tapping on it...

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    PM me if you have any problems and I will see what I remember. After thinking about it, I may still have one holster at this house that I may have modded. If I do I will get some pics.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Roger that.

Thanks again, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by john armond View Post
    PM me if you have any problems and I will see what I remember. After thinking about it, I may still have one holster at this house that I may have modded. If I do I will get some pics.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    Roger that.

Thanks again, bro.
    Any update to your progress?

I just bought one for my GLOCK 23 and I hate how long it is. It's nearly long enough for my 22 to fit into. I'd like to shorten it up by cutting off some of the bottom but that block piece is there. I'm trying to figure out my options.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    I ended up half-assing it.

I removed that horizontal bar holding the barrel post in place and left it as is.

Retention is still there, and the threaded barreled 17s are as cozy a bugs in a rug now.

Feedback Score
    50 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Outlander Systems View Post
    I ended up half-assing it.

I removed that horizontal bar holding the barrel post in place and left it as is.

Retention is still there, and the threaded barreled 17s are as cozy a bugs in a rug now.
    I have an OEM barreled 23. Once my APLc arrives I'll mount it and then see what mods I can do.

Feedback Score
    47 (100%)
    Roger that. Definitely curious how that works out.

FWIW, I wore mine for 48 hours straight on a recent trip, and had no issues whatsoever, despite the barrel lock being removed.

Quote Originally Posted by officerX View Post
    I have an OEM barreled 23. Once my APLc arrives I'll mount it and then see what mods I can do.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    The barrel locking block seems to merely stabilize the barrel. My pistols had some play in them after removing the blocks. That is why I wrapped the screws. If your pistol doesn't have any back and forth play in it you should be ok. Mine were done for M&Ps and PPQs, so the slide shape is different. This may have caused more play in mine than yours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast