Thread: Bolt Lug (wear) cause

Feedback Score

Bolt Lug (wear) cause

I know I can count on the experience here to answer this question, bolt has less than 400 rounds on it. Pictures are not the best sorry but the 2 bottom lugs at the rear show some deformation, one more than the other. Found it by accident when cleaning. Barrel extension looks fine, can this have been caused from the bolt riding over the rounds in the magazine?

2nd picture actually makes it look worse than it really is. Question is, is this normal.

Feedback Score
    Looks like it might have been dropped. So probably not normal if that is the case, but probably not a manufacturing defect so much as possible damage from mishandling.

Who made the bolt?

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Dragger View Post
    Looks like it might have been dropped. So probably not normal if that is the case, but probably not a manufacturing defect so much as possible damage from mishandling.

Who made the bolt?
    It's Colt, what I'am going to try today or tomorrow is put a new spare I have in it and run a 100 rounds through it and see if there is any deformation in that area. I don't know if it was there from the beginning as I noticed it by accident and was not really looking for it.

Feedback Score
    I'd venture a guess that the lug got dinged on something. As long as that little bit of cosmetic damage doesn't impede function I doubt it will negatively affect longevity or durability of the bolt.

Other than that, normal bolt lug wear in will looks like shiny faces on the rear surfaces of the lugs as they may with the barrel extension.

Feedback Score
    If you're really worried about it, clean it up, de-grease it for better photo quality, and send Colt an email with the image. Part of the advantage of buying from a reputable manufacturer is a good warranty!

Feedback Score
    If its a real colt call colt and email them pics. They will know

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I have two brand new BCM spare bolts and I threw one in, I just got back from the range after I put 200 rounds through it and inspected the lugs and absolutely no deformation on the lower two lugs on the same spots. I was worried there might be a burr in the barrel extension so I knew if I tried a new bolt and there was a burr it would produce the same results on the new bolt.

I'am starting to think it somehow got dinged maybe at the factory and I just never noticed it. There is a thread over at the "other" forum about how some new Colt bolts are marked and why some don't have a distinct chamfer on the lugs so while I was inspecting mine this is when I found it, that will teach me to frequent that "other" site!
    Last edited by modelbuilder56; 02-11-17 at 15:57.