Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trijicon TA44 1.4x ACOG Review

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)

Trijicon TA44 1.4x ACOG Review

I realize lots of folks haven't used ACOGs outside of the 3.5x (TA11) and 4x (TA31/01) but I've always been a fan of the lower powered ACOGs personally. Finally finished up the review of the TA44 so here you go for your reading/viewing pleasure:

Pros:
    -It's an ACOG so it's EXTREMELY durable
    -Great glass clarity
    -Dual tritium & F/O illumination (can be a con but in most scenarios it's not IMO)
    -Lightweight
    -Clear picture for folks with astigmatism
    -The circle/dot reticle is fast up close
    -Wider FOV than other 1.5x prism type optics

Cons:
    -ACOGs aren't cheap
    -The reticle can obscure small targets at distance (described in the video)
    -Mini ACOGs have some mount limitations

Full review:

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Good review as usual.

I've had one of these TA44 sights for several years now. It's one of my favorite optics. I do have pretty bad astigmatism in my right eye and the green reticle is clear as a bell. I've not found the 1.5x to be a liability at close ranges but helpful at longer ranges...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Several threads about the 1.5 acogs exist. Great optic. 1.5 mag not really noticeable at close range. The issue still exists when shooting from a very dark area into a bright area, fiber optic illumination doesn't work, tritium does not have enough power to illuminate the reticle looking into the bright area, and the black reticle is difficult to see.

If Trijicon would make an led version of these at a competitive price, they would have a winner.
    NRA Life Member

"WINNING" - When all of the liberal democrats and other libtards start throwing themselves off cliffs because they don't get their way...

JEDIsh: We are asked not to judge all muslims by the acts of a few extremists, but we are encouraged to judge all gun owners by extreme acts of the few.

Feedback Score
    12 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    If Trijicon would make an led version of these at a competitive price, they would have a winner.
    Holy crap, I'd buy the hell out of that.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Several threads about the 1.5 acogs exist. Great optic. 1.5 mag not really noticeable at close range. The issue still exists when shooting from a very dark area into a bright area, fiber optic illumination doesn't work, tritium does not have enough power to illuminate the reticle looking into the bright area, and the black reticle is difficult to see.

Iron sights are black as are magnified optic reticles. I Don't have an issue finding the reticle in an ACOG as my eye is aligned with the optic and looking at the target(as necessary). If you're in a darker area shooting into a lit area than you're likely obscured from view to some degree. There is no perfect option, even a reddot has issues when you crank up the brightness for a sunny day then have to shoot indoors in said dark area.

MM

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
    Iron sights are black as are magnified optic reticles. I Don't have an issue finding the reticle in an ACOG as my eye is aligned with the optic and looking at the target(as necessary). If you're in a darker area shooting into a lit area than you're likely obscured from view to some degree. There is no perfect option, even a reddot has issues when you crank up the brightness for a sunny day then have to shoot indoors in said dark area.

MM
    ok...you've explained the obvious...However if the aiming point is dark in color as well, the reticle in the acog is non-existent.
    Last edited by Singlestack Wonder; 02-13-17 at 12:54.
    NRA Life Member

"WINNING" - When all of the liberal democrats and other libtards start throwing themselves off cliffs because they don't get their way...

JEDIsh: We are asked not to judge all muslims by the acts of a few extremists, but we are encouraged to judge all gun owners by extreme acts of the few.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    ok...you've explained the obvious...However if the aiming point is dark in color as well, the reticle in the acog is non-existent.

I'd say it's slow to acquire rather than non-existent.

Feedback Score
    43 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrgunsngear View Post
    It will be non-existent when your face is shot the **** up. (Exaggeration included fo' free)

Singlestack makes great points and why I no longer use ACOGs for anything other than on a truck gun or something to throw in the tent when camping.

The battery powered TA31 seems legit but I've always liked the size of the TA44. I've just not really understood the point. For 1.5x I can just get a T1 at 1/2 the cost and 1/3 the weight. Someone should try to explain the value of that optic. Even if you take money aside - what does it bring to the table compared to other optics? And if you do earn your money for a living - How can you justify that G for .5x mag?

ETA: I see you touched on astigmatism. I don't have that and thus never consider it, but it is a good point.

Note: I've got like 9,000 posts on this forum and like 8,000 have been spent defending ACOGs. I was issued one in the Marine Corps and eventually qualified to instruct Marines on its employment. I currently own three TA31 series optics. Not anti-ACOG here at all.
    Last edited by Eurodriver; 02-15-17 at 21:39.

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrgunsngear View Post
    I used one extensively for 1 year (several training classes, low light shoots, and twice weekly training sessions). Not sure how much time you spent with the optic in making the video but my opinion is based on long term use of the optic in a multitude of light conditions. The optic was selected in an attempt to find an alternative to Aimpoint due to astigmatism issues. At the end of the year it was clear that the acog was lacking depending on light conditions. As a result, I went back to Aimpoints and trained to overcome the astigmatism issue. Do some research on the topic and one will find many that tried the 1.5x acogs as an alternative to Aimpoint but in the end switched back.

Again, if Trijicon produced an LED version of the 1.5x or even a 1x with the same etched reticle, they would have a real winner.
    NRA Life Member

Feedback Score
    15 (100%)
    Unfortunately, the "net" is full of "reviewers" who spend just enough time with a product to gather immediately obvious pro's/con's (in their mind at least) in order to quickly get another video up. We've seen this pattern for years. Many of the products purchased based on the reviews end up for sale on equipment exchanges a short time later due to actual experience with the product in the user's particular environment.

Of course the reviews give potential buyers a quick review of the features that they would typically not see unless the lgs had one in stock or if they actually ordered one. It's a good/bad thing.
    Last edited by Singlestack Wonder; 02-16-17 at 10:34.
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast