Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trijicon TA44 1.4x ACOG Review

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Singlestack Wonder View Post
    ok...you've explained the obvious...However if the aiming point is dark in color as well, the reticle in the acog is non-existent.
    Like Mrgunsngear posted, the reticle is slow to find not non existent. Either way there is no perfect optic and every optic has limitations. Perhaps I'm in the minority here but I don't see a lot of folks ever doing any serious amount of low light shooting or having to shoot from a dark area into or at another dark area/target. For those in the MIL/LE who need to kick doors I would say there are better options like reddot sights. For the rest of us who aren't saddled with that environment and desire an optic that is robust and simple without electronics to fail there are compact ACOGs. The astigmatism issue was also mentioned and is a concern for more and more people. The .5x mag gain is near useless but it's no more a hindrance than using any other ACOG, the BAC and both eyes open shooting solves the issue with a little practice. Those who just can't make the BAC work are forced to use something else... Again, there is no perfect optic that works for everyone or does everything.

MM

Feedback Score
    Had a TA44SG for few years, sold it, and I'm not looking back: T1/T2 is a much better choice for me. TA44 can possibly be the better choice if you have a bad case of astigmatism, but for my eyesight with mild astigmatism and some signs of presbyopia, the Aimpoint is still a clear winner.

I do shoot in low light conditions, and with the TA44 had the normal issues when using white light. When I did not use light and there was no ambient light, I experienced another issue: the tritium illumination was too bright. The reticle overpowered any small and dark targets, which made hitting them very difficult. In this regard the reticle would probably be much better, if the circle would be larger in diameter, perhaps in 45-65 MOA range.

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Titan74 View Post
    Had a TA44SG for few years, sold it, and I'm not looking back: T1/T2 is a much better choice for me. TA44 can possibly be the better choice if you have a bad case of astigmatism, but for my eyesight with mild astigmatism and some signs of presbyopia, the Aimpoint is still a clear winner.

I do shoot in low light conditions, and with the TA44 had the normal issues when using white light. When I did not use light and there was no ambient light, I experienced another issue: the tritium illumination was too bright. The reticle overpowered any small and dark targets, which made hitting them very difficult. In this regard the reticle would probably be much better, if the circle would be larger in diameter, perhaps in 45-65 MOA range.
    I think Trijicon needs to look at the tripower concept again as it offered all the pros and practically no cons of both reddot and fibre optics.

MM

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurodriver View Post
    It will be non-existent when your face is shot the **** up. (Exaggeration included fo' free)

Singlestack makes great points and why I no longer use ACOGs for anything other than on a truck gun or something to throw in the tent when camping.

The battery powered TA31 seems legit but I've always liked the size of the TA44. I've just not really understood the point. For 1.5x I can just get a T1 at 1/2 the cost and 1/3 the weight. Someone should try to explain the value of that optic. Even if you take money aside - what does it bring to the table compared to other optics? And if you do earn your money for a living - How can you justify that G for .5x mag? .
    I broke an Aimpoint T1, any ACOG is considerably more durable by a factor of magnitude.

I overfilled the screw holes with blue loc-tite and screwed it to the mount. The liquid burst through the tube wall inside the optic tube itself. I know you should use a few drops of loctite but that's what happened.

I've done the same thing with ACOG. That thing is built like a rock and impossible to break. In comparison, T1 is a fragile toy.

I have pics if you want them. blue loctite inside the glass.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrgunsngear View Post

I realize lots of folks haven't used ACOGs outside of the 3.5x (TA11) and 4x (TA31/01) but I've always been a fan of the lower powered ACOGs personally. Finally finished up the review of the TA44 so here you go for your reading/viewing pleasure:

Pros:
    -It's an ACOG so it's EXTREMELY durable
    -Great glass clarity
    -Dual tritium & F/O illumination (can be a con but in most scenarios it's not IMO)
    -Lightweight
    -Clear picture for folks with astigmatism
    -The circle/dot reticle is fast up close
    -Wider FOV than other 1.5x prism type optics

Cons:
    -ACOGs aren't cheap
    -The reticle can obscure small targets at distance (described in the video)
    -Mini ACOGs have some mount limitations

How about comparing TA44 and TA45?

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ad_infinitum View Post
    How about comparing TA44 and TA45?
    compared in the video.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    If you ever get your hands on the model ta47 I'd be very interested in hearing your opinions. Not a whole lot of info out there on it. The specs look pretty good to me

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by S500yards View Post
    If you ever get your hands on the model ta47 I'd be very interested in hearing your opinions. Not a whole lot of info out there on it. The specs look pretty good to me
    That's probably my next ACOG. Just sold my TA50 so that's probably where that money is going...

Feedback Score
    I have a ta44 and really like it. My astigmatism is so bad that an aimpoint dot is pretty much useless past 25-50yds. The dot is starry and oblong, sitting at somewhere around a 20-30 degree cant. If it were vertical, or horizontal, I could compensate, but the weird angle really screws it up.
    I have a tripower also, and like it as well. However, it's blurry when I use the battery. But, a blurry chevron is easier than a canted dot. If I'd known then, I'd bought more of them.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Has anyone else put the TA44 through its paces? The Mr.G&G review is great but any other experience is great to hear about.

I have bad astigmatism and am looking for the most rugged/durable optic available for around $1k that is not a red dot and doesn't absolutely require batteries to run.

I plan to put whatever that optic is on a new 6920 Trooper as a general purpose defense/range/truck "do everything except long range" carbine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast