Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Trijicon TA44 1.4x ACOG Review

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyblake View Post
    Has anyone else put the TA44 through its paces? The Mr.G&G review is great but any other experience is great to hear about.

I have bad astigmatism and am looking for the most rugged/durable optic available for around $1k that is not a red dot and doesn't absolutely require batteries to run.

I plan to put whatever that optic is on a new 6920 Trooper as a general purpose defense/range/truck "do everything except long range" carbine.
    Late reply on this one, but this optic has been around for a while and there are a smattering of folks who have used it around here if you do some digging.

If I recall correctly, the gist was that it is a great little optic, but has a its niche. For most people, it's still not as fast as a red dot sight due to the slight magnification. That can be overcome with training. The main issue, which is common to all the fiber optic ACOGS, is relatively poor illumination when shooting from dark areas against bright backgrounds. That typically shows up as standing inside and shooting outdoors into daylight, or in a dark area and using a weapon light.

I have astigmatism, but it's not too bad. I can still use an EOTech pretty well, and have had an Aimpoint PRO on my to-buy list for a while. That said, I still really like the idea of a TA44 for mounting on an SBR.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    23 (100%)
    I've been considering one of these because of my astigmatism. I'm concerned about inadequate illumination though. The shop I work at has a green one in stock and I played with it some the other day. Inside to inside is ok and outside to outside is ok but inside to outside is not spectacular. I'm curious if the red one would be any better than the green one.
    Steve

Disclaimer: I am employed by Shadow Systems. My posts on this site are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    This is a pic I just took with my cell phone of my SG-10 green circle dot reticle looking out my bedroom window.

Looking from dark to bright in my opinion is not a problem because the reticle basically turns black and is perfectly usable.

The only corner case IMHO in where we have a problem is looking from dark, through bright, and into dark.

Like shooting from inside one house to inside another.

Even then, I don't think it's too big of a problem.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    7 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by mig1nc View Post
    This is a pic I just took with my cell phone of my SG-10 green circle dot reticle looking out my bedroom window.

Looking from dark to bright in my opinion is not a problem because the reticle basically turns black and is perfectly usable.

The only corner case IMHO in where we have a problem is looking from dark, through bright, and into dark.

Like shooting from inside one house to inside another.

Even then, I don't think it's too big of a problem.

By the way, that's a TA-26-SG-10, same thing as a TA-44-SG-10 but with a different mount.

Edit: the TA-26 has been discontinued.

Last edited by mig1nc; 10-01-17 at 08:54.

Feedback Score
    The inside-to-outside is certainly the problem with most FO powered ACOGs. But you have to consider that an edge use case, it's just not the intent of the optic.

IMO, all ACOGs are designed to be field optics used primarily outside. That's not to say they can't be used indoors, but it's just not their intent.
    "Man is still the first weapon of war" - Field Marshal Montgomery

The Everyday Marksman

Feedback Score
    A question: I've watched a dozen Youtube videos and in only one was the TA44 on a rifle with a fixed front sight. Is this optic somehow less pratical with the fixed front sight visible through it?

Feedback Score
    It probably is, unless you get it high enough to go over. With magnification, a front sight that's visible will go away, but it takes around 2-3x before it does. At 1.6x, it would still be there. Plus, it's a small diameter tube, the sight would mostly fill it.

Mine isn't on an AR, and is well above the front sight, so I cannot say from experience how looking at the front sight is.

To an earlier response: mine is the red one, and is about the same brightness looking out a window as in the above pic. I think the red is a bit more noticeable, but it does depend on the background.

Sent from my SGP612 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Gunfixr; 11-25-18 at 21:04.
    NRA Life, SASS#40701, Glock Advanced Armorer
    Gunsmith for Unique Armament Creations LLC, 07/SOT

VIGILIA PRETIUM LIBERTATIS

Feedback Score
    I have one of these with the green ACSS recticle on my BCM Kino. The FSB is no bother at all. It is visible in the lower part of the field of vision but is blurry. I can see it well enough to distinguish the sight post from the wings, but if I concentrate on the recticle, I hardly notice it. I was initially worried that the black ranging lines (ACSS version specific) below the iluminated portion would be lost on the back side of the FSB, but with an ADM mount with a small riser I can use them without any problem. Oddly, when I went to try and take a picture of what I am seeing, the view though the iPad camera looks nothing like what I see. The recticle looked tiny and the FSB was much more visible than what I experience.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123