Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Russian, eastern euro, commie ammo

Feedback Score
    I would not say having a gun kaboom with steel case is any more likely than any other ammo, and if it does occur is extremely rare with any sort of factory ammo and there are usually other factors involved. If you want to shoot steel by all means. I have been running federal aluminum case most recently ( under 10 bucks a box at wal mart) so I just buy 200 rounds a week ( 40 bucks worth ) and am usually shooting a uspsa match with it a few weekends a month. Buying this amount at a time while not technically cheaper than buying steel in bulk, can be a little easier by spreading the costs out a little instead of dropping say 2-300 dollars at once

Feedback Score
    Tula sent a buddy of mine a check to cover the cost of a couple of magazines and some extra after their .308 ammo blew the magazine out and the extractor off of a T/C bolt action. They also gave him a coupon code for more Tula ammo.

Feedback Score
    3 (100%)
    Walther's and HK's with stepped chambers supposedly have problems extracting steel cased ammo. But, I have heard of guys running thousands of rounds of steel with no problems in a P 99 for example i've shot a couple hundred rounds of American steel in my P 99's without an issue . But American steel is the sparkler of 9 mm ammunition. However, I did get a federal aluminum 9 mm case stuck in one of my P 99's, and I also had a Blazer brass with no charge. I blame quality control and not the type of ammunition.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by m4brian View Post
    Walther's and HK's with stepped chambers supposedly have problems extracting steel cased ammo. But, I have heard of guys running thousands of rounds of steel with no problems in a P 99 for example i've shot a couple hundred rounds of American steel in my P 99's without an issue . But American steel is the sparkler of 9 mm ammunition. However, I did get a federal aluminum 9 mm case stuck in one of my P 99's, and I also had a Blazer brass with no charge. I blame quality control and not the type of ammunition.
    Don't know if this is related or not but a few weeks ago I was running my USP 9 using Brown Bear. Out of 500 rounds I had one case fail to extract. Don't know if it was a fluke or the chamber. Happened half way through the 500

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    I had a newish Glock 23 stop extracting spent cases about half way through a case of Wolf ammo. Turned out that the tip of the extractor that goes into the extractor groove on the case chipped off. A data point of one, but maybe more than coincidence.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I run steel case (for training) exclusively through all guns that I can get it for. Steel cased pistol ammo is almost always nearly the same price so it does make less difference in that application.

I've seen it demonstrated numerous time on youtube and via internet postings that the soft steel cases are nearly identical to brass in terms of brinell hardness (sometimes actually softer) so concerns about "extra wear" from the cases is gunshop tomfoolery. The cheap bullets will wear out your barrel faster, but the amount of money saved will should easily the cost of a new barrels and probably a new gun as it takes tens of thousands of rounds to do so.
    "I pity thou, fools who dost not choose BCM" - King Arthur 517 A.D.

.OlllllllO.

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    I would almost say you are more likely to get a kaboom out of brass reloads from Bubba's Live Bait and Basement Reloading Shop than most factory steel case. There are several reputable companies that reload that are trustworthy, but the ones you have to look out for are the ones with the hand painted signs and can't miss deals at the gun shows or on Armslist.

Most of the folks on here know this, but just a Public Service Announcement for those that might just be getting into shooting and haven't learned not everyone does it right.
    Experience is a cruel teacher, gives the exam first and then the lesson.

Feedback Score
    5 (100%)
    For AK,SKS, Maks, TTs, etc. the steel cased is it. I mean, if they dont work in those platforms then theres a big problem. Very recently, for a majority of handguns I've had, after break in with brass cased ammo, I've used steel cased with nary an issue. In terms of bbl wearing out, unless its a match grade gun, I'll buy another bbl or sell the whole gun at that point. At that point said handgun would require alot rounds down the bbl to cause a drop off in accuracy , reliability etc and other things more serious might be going bad on it that would necessitate a rebuild or it has reached end of service life. I won't ever use reman ammo except from Blackhills. There QC/QA is outstanding, all others I have doubts. Life is too short to worry about a kaboom due to some "minor" error by the backroom reloader.
    Last edited by GNXII; 02-14-17 at 08:23.

Feedback Score
    26 (100%)
    Aside from proving out my carry ammo, my p320 has only ever seen wolf. Runs like a sewing machine with it. Might see a little more wear eventually but probably negligible in the grand scheme.

Nate
    NAAH Tool Works
    Naahtoolworks@gmail.com

Feedback Score
    2 (100%)
    I dont just because I'd rather pay the extra money for regular bullets.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast