Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Russian, eastern euro, commie ammo

Feedback Score
    Before I started reloading, I shot a lot of Wolf and Tula through every firearm I owned. Never had an issue with any of it. I have actually had more issues from some brands of brass cased ammo. Remington UMC, Armscor, that Turkish made ZQI crap, and Agulia has been very hit or miss for me, to the point where I don't even consider it anymore, and reach for Federal AE, PMC, PPU, Sellior & Belliot, Walmart branded Perfecta, or Winchester white box offerings for brass cased plinking grade stuff.

Steel is still a viable option for me because reloading plinking ammo in some calibers (.223 + 9mm) is right on that bubble of a cost/worth the time involved to do it type deal. I do tend to shoot more of my brass cased reloads now, because in the winter I have more free time to crank out plinking ammo, but I still use steel from time to when I go to places that brass recovery is iffy, like shooting outside in the snow, or doing some fun "run and gun" type stuff with my buddies and we don't want to spend half the day looking for all our brass.

I don't handle shooting steel any different than shooting brass, about the only thing I do differently is sometimes I might go 2-3 shooting sessions between cleanings when using brass only. If steel was used I will clean after that trip, especially the chamber of what ever guns it was used in, just to avoid any potential problems like a stuck case from the extra fouling steel case is known to leave in the chamber due to it not making a good of a seal as brass.
    Last edited by ww2farmer; 02-17-17 at 11:07.

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyrebel87 View Post
    Is there any good reason not to shoot steel case wolf, tula, monarch, etc in your pistols?

Quote Originally Posted by Kain View Post
    Now, depending on the going rate of once fired brass in your AO it might come down to being effectively a wash between steel or brass...

Agreed... Steel cases are only cheaper if you're too lazy to pick up your brass and sell it.

Quote Originally Posted by ww2farmer View Post
    ... avoid any potential problems like a stuck case from the extra fouling steel case is known to leave in the chamber due to it not making a good of a seal as brass.
    And this.

Feedback Score
    It depends on what you're wanting to do and what your accuracy, cleanliness, recoil impulse, and bullet type requirements are. If you don't care, steel it is.
    "You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's...insane!" -- Penn Jillette

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123