Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1911 mag change question

Feedback Score

1911 mag change question

When I carry, which is whenever I leave the house I carry a 1911 and my spare mag in my front left pocket, in the carrier in the picture. So when I practice, I practice with the mag carrier I ccw with. My question is, in drawing a mag from my pocket doing a slide lock reload what's an acceptable time for the reload, from last shot fired of old empty mag to round fired from fresh mag? I'm at 2.5-3 seconds on it. For carry do I need to speed it up?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    I would say 2.5 seconds from a pocket is respectable. However, I personally think it's a bad place to carry an extra mag. Better than no extra ammo? Of course.

I would move the magazine to your waist. This will allow the magazine to be accessible regardless of body position (laying on stomach, crouched, etc) and put the magazine in reach of your strong hand in case you weak hand no worky. Not to mention the pocket carry forces you to grab the mag, reposition your grip then insert. Skip the reposition that may case a fumble.

Is that a Pro-mag? If so, I'd ditch it.

Feedback Score
    It's not a pro- mag, it's one of the vickers Wilson mags.

I always wear a tucked in shirt, doing that how does one carry on their belt? Not being a smart ass, I'm genuinely asking. I'll try to video the draw of the mag. With the base plate on the vickers mags, it's not to difficult to withdraw the mag and have a good purchase on it.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post

I always wear a tucked in shirt, doing that how does one carry on their belt? Not being a smart ass, I'm genuinely asking. I'll try to video the draw of the mag. With the base plate on the vickers mags, it's not to difficult to withdraw the mag and have a good purchase on it.

Is your gun concealed?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Feedback Score
    Yes the gun is. I carry in a vm2.

Here's a quick video trying to draw the mag. https://youtu.be/m_6oJlnNSXc

Don't laugh, it's tough to video yourself and do it all at once

Feedback Score

When not trying to video abs draw, this is how my hand sits on the mag after it comes out. And I don't do the hit the thigh thing like I did in the video....

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    If you open carry then buy a different mag holder. One that clips into the belt. I figured you concealed carry and didn't want people to see the mag

Feedback Score
    Quote Originally Posted by Arik View Post
    If you open carry then buy a different mag holder. One that clips into the belt. I figured you concealed carry and didn't want people to see the mag

I have a good mag pouch for the belt, but I do conceal carry. I can open carry here and do sometimes, just sometimes discretion is needed.

Feedback Score
    1 (100%)
    I think you're fine. Obviously a belt pouch is faster but that's not an option for you.

Feedback Score
    10 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by ubet View Post

Didn't mean to veer off course here. It's just that us 1911 guys are already at a disadvantage in the capacity department. I personally want the most efficient reload at my disposal. For me that is a 10 round Power Mag from the hip. Plenty to get a hold of and a couple extra rounds.

What keeps your pistol out of sight? Half of it is still showing. While a magazine on your hip isn't exactly discrete, neither is a pistol. Is a light cover garment doable?

I know we can "What if....?" all day but I keep thinking of someone squatting behind improvised cover effectively pinching closed their front pocket.

It seems the pocket carry is your path and I applaud you for practicing and researching it.

It's a good thing Vickers isn't very active here anymore. I'd have probably gotten a well deserved scolding for the magazine comment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast