Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Gas-port regulating gas-block insert install and DIY manufacture.

Feedback Score
    19 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrysimons View Post
    Well, I see your point, but sometimes a non-adjustable, lo-pro gas block is preferred. For example, Noveske barrels come with lo-pro gas-blocks already pinned on and they need regulation badly, why not keep the pinned GB and use a BRT insert instead of set-screwing an adjustable in place? Also there are certain free-float rails where I have found SLR Riflework's Sentry series gas-blocks will not clear; Hodge Defense/Mega Arms Wedgelock rail is one example and benefit from the SLR GB7 reduced dimension gas-block intended for extra-thin rails. Then there are titanium gas-blocks for ultralight builds where every tenth ounce is counted. My titanium SLR Sentry 6 .625" GB weighs .9oz, my Battle Arms Development .625" titanium GB w/ stainless steel insert weighs .5oz, it adds up when you have goals.

An argument can also be made that gas-port regulating gas-block inserts like BRT's CustomTune inserts are a much more robust method of regulation and more suitable for a duty-grade/go-to-war rifle than an adjustable gas-block that relies on springs and detents and where the adjustment gets fouled. These inserts are stupid simple in operation as long as you got the right size hole initially.

I have read your thread about inserts, you are further down the road then I am and I am glad to hear reports after years of successful use. I know stainless steel is sufficient for practical use or BRT wouldn't be successful, but while I am having fun making my own I might also indulge in dabbling with bomb proof and the overdone - for the warm and fuzzies...
    This. If i already have a pinned LPGB, i would rather do an insert than an adjustable.

Also inserts give you a known port size and are like 1/100th the price.

Feedback Score
    Some things look like theory upfront when a few hundred rounds are used as an example. The reality after 10-20+K looks different. I really do not see the need of a gas block needing to be anymore complicated than a standard FSB as far as gas regulation is concerned for most, other than some with carbine length gas systems normally using a proper base barrel port size. With a properly gassed base barrel, some systems can be complimented with a secondary restriction to help maintain a cyclic range in span during it's useful lifespan.
    I do not prefer a band aid solution as preference over a solution that addresses the root causes. Root cause for most is the base barrel port, and we have ways to do that.

Feedback Score
    25 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by tom12.7 View Post
    Some things look like theory upfront when a few hundred rounds are used as an example. The reality after 10-20+K looks different. I really do not see the need of a gas block needing to be anymore complicated than a standard FSB as far as gas regulation is concerned for most, other than some with carbine length gas systems normally using a proper base barrel port size. With a properly gassed base barrel, some systems can be complimented with a secondary restriction to help maintain a cyclic range in span during it's useful lifespan.
    I do not prefer a band aid solution as preference over a solution that addresses the root causes. Root cause for most is the base barrel port, and we have ways to do that.
    Well that's why Inconel, because surely it would look bettter 10-20k+ down the line than an SS insert.
    I guess that is where we are differing, I am ok with inserts as a more primary regulation, second in preference, of coarse, to a properly ported barrel which are hard to find or also require machining if you are going to have them chopped.

Feedback Score
    22 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by markm View Post
    I'm not tracking on this whole idea at all. If you are already using a lo pro gas block... just run an adjustable! Not sure what the inconel need is. I'm running several plain old stainless inserts and they show now measurable wear.

There is no need to run an insertable port on a lo pro block.
    Well, I see your point, but sometimes a non-adjustable, lo-pro gas block is preferred. For example, Noveske barrels come with lo-pro gas-blocks already pinned on and they need regulation badly, why not keep the pinned GB and use a BRT insert instead of set-screwing an adjustable in place? Also there are certain free-float rails where I have found SLR Riflework's Sentry series gas-blocks will not clear; Hodge Defense/Mega Arms Wedgelock rail is one example and benefit from the SLR GB7 reduced dimension gas-block intended for extra-thin rails. Then there are titanium gas-blocks for ultralight builds where every tenth ounce is counted. My titanium SLR Sentry 6 .625" GB weighs .9oz, my Battle Arms Development .625" titanium GB w/ stainless steel insert weighs .5oz, it adds up when you have goals.

An argument can also be made that gas-port regulating gas-block inserts like BRT's CustomTune inserts are a much more robust method of regulation and more suitable for a duty-grade/go-to-war rifle than an adjustable gas-block that relies on springs and detents and where the adjustment gets fouled. These inserts are stupid simple in operation as long as you got the right size hole initially.

I have read your thread about inserts, you are further down the road then I am and I am glad to hear reports after years of successful use. I know stainless steel is sufficient for practical use or BRT wouldn't be successful, but while I am having fun making my own I might also indulge in dabbling with bomb proof and the overdone - for the warm and fuzzies...

There are many reasons to use a port in a low pro gas block.

Rather than try to list them all, I'll tell a story.

A few years ago, we discontinued the low pro version of the ports and only offered the FSB version.

We immediately had numerous requests to bring it back, so we did and have offered both versions ever since.
    Black River Tactical
    BRT OPTIMUM Hammer Forged Chrome Lined Barrels - 11.5", 12.5", 14.5", 16"
    BRT EZTUNE Preset Gas Tubes - PISTOL, CAR, MID, RIFLE
    BRT Bolt Carrier Groups M4A1, M16 CHROME
    BRT Covert Comps 5.56, 6X, 7.62

Feedback Score
    +1 on starting it with a center drill, although I suppose a countersink will do the trick too. Center drills should be cheaper.

I might have to try this too.

I'm amazed that a single cut on that dulled a carbide end mill. What size/RPM?

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint View Post
    There are many reasons to use a port in a low pro gas block.
    I suppose you DO get the precision selection on the port sizing... The adjustable block I ran did lack a certain amount of small incremental adjustments.
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    18 (100%)
    Thanks. No the off center hole was not intentional, even if it doesn't really effect function it wasn't what I was going for. The cobalt drill bit walked when I first started the hole, which was expected since I didn't have any kind of indexing for it, just went straight in on the flat surface. After seeing how hard this stuff is to cut using the cut off wheel and carbide end-mill I was surprised how well the cobalt bit did, of coarse one time use only. The walking is why I ordered the carbide countersink bit to make a cone to start the drill bit and to provide a little bit of a beveled gas inlet.
    https://www.mcmaster.com/#2944a32/=16vemha

The flat head slot has me thinking, o don't know how best to do it it looks like crap done by hand with the cut off whee (it also walked off center on me). What are you thinking with a mill?
    A countersink, or spotting drill should solve the off center problem, especially if done on a mill.

For the flat slot on a mill? A slitting saw with the screw in a threaded block should do it. Just fixture the insert at 90, or turn the mill spindle 90 degrees. A block with a bunch of threaded holes would allow several of these to be knocked out at one time.

Google: slitting saw

Feedback Score
    Deleted.... Misunderstood the context...
    Last edited by Locutus; 03-25-17 at 08:29.
    NRA RSO
    USPSA RO
    SASS RO-I & RO-II
    Certified Black Powder Artillery (Maryland)

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    [/URL]
    The few I've made are full size like the one pictured at the bottom. I trimmed one much like you did on my first try, but I found that leaving the piece full length worked fine because the screw can insert itself into the gas tube several thousandths.

The upside is more thread engagement... the downside is that you couldn't change the gas tube without backing out the insertable port. I rarely change gas tubes... so?
    "What would a $2,000 Geissele Super Duty do that a $500 PSA door buster on Black Friday couldn't do?" - Stopsign32v

Feedback Score
    14 (100%)
    We choked down an LMT 10.5 to .068". It ran like a champ. The recoil impulse still felt snappy with a standard A5 buffer. The ejection pattern and direction seemed to mellow out though.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast